Send Topic Print
Pet peeves (Read 57158 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Pet peeves
Reply #255 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 10:59pm

@Rat Man - With stuff like that I try not to blame the person who thought it up.  Everyone can have dumb ideas from time to time.  But the guy who said "Yes, I like this idea. Let's do it!", he needs a good smack in the face.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #256 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 5:28am

You say that but... It got shared to, of all places, a forum based around slinging and was now seen by someone as far away as Finland. That's reach. The advert worked Cheesy That is to say, it's not about convincing someone of a product but getting recognition and brand awareness.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #257 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 2:25pm

Yes, Kick. Sadly such inane stupidity works.  Always has.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #258 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 2:41pm

Tailgating has to be the dumbest things on earth.  I generally drive slightly above the speed limit. If there are no other vehicles around me I'll drive about six mph over the posted limit.  Unless I'm in a school zone, in which case I always drive the posted limit.  If I'm with a group of vehicles on a highway I'll drive whatever speed the group is going, no matter how fast.  This has served me well.  When I was an MP we wouldn't make a traffic stop until a driver had exceeded the speed limit by 10 mph. 
    Anyway, every once in a while someone behind me will decide that I'm driving too slow.  So to speed me up he or she will drive right up on my rear bumper.  Though I'm too old for road rage fights it's not impossible to anger me to that point.  But what I usually do is take my foot off the gas and gradually drop down to the speed limit. If that doesn't convince the driver to my rear to back off I'll drop down to five mph under the speed limit and there I'll stay. 
    I think that most people have the exact same reaction.  Some will give the offending driver a brake check.  I've been known to do this but these days I try to be more mellow.  Consequently, tailgating makes absolutely no sense.  It ALWAYS makes the front driver go slower, not faster.  Yet people will always tailgate
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2022 at 11:23pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #259 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 6:25pm

I was having a driving lesson and some guy was right on my back bumper. I was driving the speed limit because, ya know, it was a driving lesson. My instructor was getting more and more annoyed with this arsehole so just turned and said to me "Look, you shouldn't do this but this guy is being a prick" he reached over and stuck the hazard lights on and very lightly touched the brakes to start slowing down the car. Guy behind quickly pulled out around us and sped off. My instructor turned off the hazards and muttered "Dickhead..."

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #260 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 6:37pm

Tail gaters are literally hitler.

So let me mention the opposite. I used to work in a small mountain town in Utah. As you drove through different parts of the town and places in between the speed limit would go up and down drastically.

One day I was running late for work and trying to get there in good time. There was a karen in the car in front of me who hadnt sped back up to normal levels because she obviously missed the sign or didnt know the area. I sped up a little so she could at least pull off to the side or just take a closer look at the road signs.

But no. That apparently was too much. She slowed down. It was her job to teach me a lesson. Even though she was dead wrong. I sped up more but it was impossible to pass and she just hit the brakes more. Finally I slowed down and after a minute she felt she had taught me my lesson and pulled over. So smug...holy crap it was so infuriating.

Im usually pretty patient with people but the combination of her being wrong, stupid and smug made me want to scream.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #261 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 9:23am

It should be perfectly legal to shoot on sight people who drive twenty mph under the speed limit. 
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2021 at 3:15pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #262 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 11:40am

It has to be close to the same danger as driving 20 over.  Especially when people do it at night or on winding roads.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #263 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 3:45pm

Technically a cop can write someone a ticket for driving drastically under the speed limit but they never do.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #264 - Aug 10th, 2021 at 2:54pm

Air quality alerts:  Especially during the Summer we get air quality alerts with our weather forecast.  These alerts tell us when the air isn't fit to breathe.  OK, and??????   I haven't had a gas mask since my army days.  I don't own an oxygen tent.  So what do I do with this air quality alert?  Stop breathing for a few days until it's over? 
DUH!
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2021 at 1:56pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #265 - Aug 15th, 2021 at 8:56am

You need to start a business where you fill up compressed air tanks on good air days and then sell them to people on bad air days.  Wink

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #266 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 2:37pm

Chiggers.  I know I have bitched about them more than once here.  In 2019 I got chiggers twice.  At that point I decided the woods near me was off limits except during cold weather.  And that worked well for me. I hadn't had chiggers since.
     The day before yesterday I was walking one of the dogs... I don't recall which.  I decided to take a little detour through the woods.  I figured it would be safe because I wouldn't be going deep into the woods... the path I chose was just  maybe fifty yards from the street running parallel to it.  And the path was wide with very little brush on it.  So I went for it.  I never stopped or slowed down and wasn't in the woods for more that four or five minutes.  It didn't seem possible that I could get chiggers that way.  But I did.
      I have them on both legs, ankles, feet, my left arm, and body.  There is nothing else to say.  I will suffer for a few more days and from now on avoid the woods COMPLETELY until the colder weather. 

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #267 - Sep 8th, 2021 at 3:31am

We went out mushroom hunting in the woods a couple of days ago. I was thinking there would be no more mosquitoes. A bit on each hand that are still itchy and raised up. What was worse than that was that the mosquitoes have been replaced with mooseflies. Horrible disgusting little buggers. My wife's uncle asked me to check the back of his shirt once we got back to the summer cottage. He had around 6 crawling around on him. One hit my ear but didn't bite me and my wife had numerous crawling around in her hair. Horrible.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #268 - Sep 8th, 2021 at 3:31am

Oh and the dog had 8 ticks on her.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #269 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 4:29pm

So this is an odd one, but it's been bugging me  all week.

Last Saturday some numpty pranged a brand new 21 reg Lexus hybrid SUV on the bypass.
We're talking 50grands worth of vehicle.

I'm guessing the car had been nicked, otherwise insurance would have recovered it the same day. And keyless entry is so easy to copy that only new cars can be nicked these days.

And for some unknown reason it stayed in the pull in where we enter the dog walks, until yesterday.

So we're looking at at least 5 grand in alloys and tires another couple in the catalytic convertor and God alone knows what the battery pack and engine would fetch.
The bonnet is too bent to close fully, so no real breaking in was necessary to strip the engine.

And nobody touched it !
Not even a broken window.

Now I admit we're not in a city or town, but come on there must be some nere-do-wells around.
It's on the main trunk road literally thousands of cars and trucks go past everyday.
And nobody touched it !

Instead of mugging or burglaring or conning some poor Sod, they could have  just put on a yellow jacket and stripped the car of everything of value.

It's a plain fact that if you put a fluorescent jacket on, you can do anything and nobody will bat an eyelid.
Not only that, but nobody can ever describe someone they saw in a yellow jacket. You just see the jacket and never really register the person wearing it.

But nope, nobody touched any part of the car.
Well it disappeared sometime yesterday, so either the police got round to telling the person it was nicked off, or some enterprising individual took it away on a recovery vehicle Smiley

And I know it should make me feel all fuzzy and warm that I live somewhere so crime free.

But swad is a hotbed of drug dealers and drugs gangs.
We have no local police station, so drugs and county lines gangs are all over the place.
We've had a couple drug related murders this year, so we do have more than our fair share of scumbags in the area.

Now if they'd only take up some honest criminality, that car could have meant at least one less drug dealer in the area for a year or so.

So there you have it, my pet peeve this week is that nobody stripped an abandoned car.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)