Pet peeves (Read 57146 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Pet peeves
Reply #240 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 5:07am

Rat Man wrote on Feb 10th, 2021 at 12:13am:
Morphy wrote on Feb 7th, 2021 at 3:56pm:
People that aren’t grateful for heartfelt gifts regardless if they are crap or not. I don’t like ungrateful people. Swallow your pride, it’s the thought that counts.

My sibs and I were raised old school.  No matter what we got we'd have to act happy under penalty of death.  The worst thing for us kids was getting clothes for Christmas or birthdays.  Mom HAD to get us clothes for school anyway.  Every so often we'd open a present from some aunt or uncle and it would be the dreaded clothes.  "Oh, joy."  I don't know if kids still feel the same today but to us it was a total waste of present space. 

I’m actually still like that. I love shopping for things like new hiking boots but couldn’t care less about clothes for the most part. 90% of the time I’m in work attire or a hoodie and jeans.

Clothes shopping consists of grabbing anything that looks like it matches throwing it in a cart, trying it on as fast as humanly possible and leaving just as fast. God forbid my wife comes with me. I love her to death but just no.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #241 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 11:12pm

When I was a very young man fashion meant something to me.  Since my mid twenties my clothes have been much more about function than form. 

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #242 - Feb 15th, 2021 at 2:46pm

Lazy jerks who don't shovel their sidewalks or clean their cars off after a heavy snow.  It seems that at every seventh or eighth house the walks aren't shoveled.  I realize that some of the houses might be occupied by a handicapped person or someone who is too old to shovel.  But there aren't enough incapable people to justify the amount of unshoveled sidewalks.  Dammit, I'm sixty six and ten days after major surgery I shoveled my walks and driveway after a fifteen inch snow so I don't want to hear any bullshit.  Get off your lazy arses and clear your sidewalks.  Also, in this sue happy country if you don't shovel your sidewalks and someone slips and falls in front of your house you might just end up in court.
     And after a heavy snowstorm you'll see some jerk driving around with two hundred pounds of snow on his car.  This can be very dangerous to the person driving behind said car.  He can be temporarily blinded or if the snow has had a chance to thaw and refreeze it can take out his windshield.  My state of New Jersey has probably the thickest lawbook in the country.  Many of the laws are superfluous and stupid but we have one that I strongly agree with... that a driver is directly responsible for any damage, injury, or death caused by snow and/or ice coming off of his car. 
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2021 at 7:59am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #243 - Feb 16th, 2021 at 12:02pm

The forty pounds of dog poop that was hidden by the snow that you have to clean up after the snow melts.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #244 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 6:12pm

I appreciate the beauty of nature as much as anyone.  I've always been up for camping, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, hunting when I was young, whatever.  In the army I spent literally months at a time outside and loved it.
    I watch a lot of outdoor shows.  In each and every one that involves people living in the wild this quote always comes up.  "I love living out here because I'm free to do what I want."  YOU'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREAKIN WOODS!! WHAT THE )U(^%$$ CAN YOU DO? 
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2021 at 3:42pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #245 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 9:44pm

Rat Man wrote on Mar 24th, 2021 at 6:12pm:
   I appreciate the beauty ofnature as much as anyone.  I've always been up for camping, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, hunting when I was young, whatever.  In the army I spent literally months at a time outside and loved it.
    I watch a lot of outdoor shows.  In each and every one that involves people living in the wild this quote always comes up.  "I love living out here because I'm free to do what I want."  YOU'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREAKIN WOODS!! WHAT THE )U(^%$$ CAN YOU DO? 

Oddly enough in shows like Alone that seems to be the number one thing that gets to people. So many people give up a chance at half a million dollars and publicity that can be worth far more than that just because they cant take the endless days filled with nothing but themselves.

I read a story about a guy that was a fugitive from the law. He ran into a forest area and dug into the side of a hill (IIRC). He had a perfect hide out and no one could ever find him. Until a year or two later when he just stopped caring about hiding because the boredom was so bad.

I feel like this is similar sensory overload to what we have with food. In modern society we are used to such a wide range of flavors and foods its possible to get appetite fatigue and simply not eat anymore when you are restricted to just a very few things. Ive gone through this myself and its a weird situation. Likewise we are used to always having something to occupy our mind that if we had to live simply like you mentioned it would just about drive us crazy.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #246 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 9:03am

Dog poopy in a bag, hanging in a tree !

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #247 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 10:13am

xud9a - call me zud 👍 wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 9:03am:

YES! Hate this. So much.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #248 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 11:13am

1. People who dont give credit where it's due. Even if you dont care for someone, if they worked hard on something and accomplished something amazing, swallow your pride, be a man and give them a pat on the back and a "well done".  If the response is "Well it couldve been better" or worse a constant "Ive done better so..."  it makes you seem like a very small person.

2. Also, people that hold grudges for small things. Life is too short. If someone is beating an animal or child and you want to hold a grudge after laying them out I get it. But if someone says something that strikes you wrong be open about it and move on. Dont let it fester. And more importantly dont be so damn sensitive.

I used to be this way years ago but now Im the opposite. Now I might say "@#$% that guy" and then the next day be having an open conversation with them. I think its healthier to let things go but thats just me.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #249 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 2:41pm

Kick wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 10:13am:
xud9a - call me zud 👍 wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 9:03am:

YES! Hate this. So much.

I agree.  That's just downright rude.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #250 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 2:58pm

MonSatan (Monsanto) created the weed killer Roundup.  It turns it Roundup kills people almost as well as it does weeds.  There are currently 20,000 cases in litigation against Monsanto by people with cancer from Roundup. Already two billion dollars in damages have been paid out with ten billion proposed.  As bad as this is it's not what pisses me off.
    To this day Roundup is still on store shelves and PEOPLE ARE STILL BUYING IT.  How (*^%$)&%%$ing stupid can human beings be????
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2021 at 5:55pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #251 - May 3rd, 2021 at 4:14pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhRKbOkFMvM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfFdeL4DiGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-T3qKl6y-c

People get paid obscene amounts of money for thinking of this garbage.  The first is supremely crass, the second profoundly inane, the third exquisitely aggravating. Anytime a commercial annoys me to this extent I boycott the product.  If everyone did this such commercials would go away.

Edit:  Here's one more I could live without.
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/td_0/always-what-the-gush-moments
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2021 at 8:07pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #252 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 5:48pm

Forewarning, this is not in reference to anything that has happened on this forum.  Just something I've come across a few times in the past couple weeks.

There is a post on a forum, and the first person responding to it feels the need to quote the original post.  So the forum thread shows the entire original post twice, pictures and all.  If you are the first person responding to a forum post, you don't need to quote it.  Everyone will already know what you're replying to.

This was a short rant too.  All done.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #253 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 6:14pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jun 13th, 2021 at 5:48pm:
Everyone will already know what you're replying to.

Not enough people use Mark and Quote. Instead of taking the one part they want to reply to (like I've done Cheesy), they just use Quote which then has that annoying effect of lengthening every post.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #254 - Jul 26th, 2021 at 7:22pm

Someone got paid millions of dollars for thinking of this.  Why?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44YYT0mmjSo

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)