Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22
Send Topic Print
Pet peeves (Read 57144 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Pet peeves
Reply #225 - Nov 10th, 2020 at 9:39am

If we're going into medical field work grumbles...
"Hi could you help me? I need to phone my mother so she can come and pick me up and take me to the train station. Do you know where I can find her number?"
This is the 4th time you've asked C_____. You're 87 years old and your mother has been dead for 40 years. You don't have anywhere to go except to the dining room. Food is coming in 10 mins.

It's always fun seeing the students or cover workers unfamiliar with our residents hear E____ start screaming for help for the first time. The way she screams you'd think she was on the floor with a bleeding head wound. They always look super shocked and concerned when I react by sighing and slowly lifting myself out of my seat in the break room and casually strolling to her room to find her, as always, sat perfectly fine in her armchair. Everything for her is a catastrophe so I've found trivializing her worries actually helps calm her down rather playing into her belief that she needs me to come running in to save the day. Somehow I'm still her favourite.

Then of course they'll also hear A____ who will also be screaming but with more expletives and in a way that sounds like she's the one doing the attacking. We then have to explain she's just shouting at the TV or at the hallucinations she tries to drown out with her TV and radio at full blast. It's at this point they start looking around as if they've only now realised what a mistake it was to come here. Then C____ will barge her way into the break room to ask if we can phone her mother.

What is this all over the floor? It's sort of fluffy... Oh. It's the inside lining of a diaper that's been torn out and thrown around the room. Again. Please R_____, this is the third time we've changed it today, stop ripping it up, the entire bed is soaked. Again.

"Where am I?"
You're in _______, you live here now because you couldnt look after yourself alone at home.
"Älä puhuu paska, mä haluan mennä kotiin nyt heti!"
(I'm interested to see what Google Translate does with that Cheesy )
You've been living here for 5 weeks now...
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2021 at 2:37pm by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #226 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 8:13am

That's really sad, Kick.  I hope I never end up like that.
     Here's one that many will identify with... canned laughter. (You can add canned applause to that too)  Even as a small child I found canned laughter very weird and annoying.  If these inane lines you've written were actually funny would you have to tell us when to laugh?  Or are we so stupid we don't know when it's time to laugh?  Throughout a really bad sitcom the laugh button might be pushed many dozens of times.  It's not funny. Why are fake people laughing?  It's really not funny and all of the fake laughter in the world won't make it so. Just stop it please.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #227 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:07am

Rat Man wrote on Nov 29th, 2020 at 8:13am:

Yeah. There's a fair few times in my job where you have to put how you're feeling to one side and try to find the humour in it. I won't be getting into any debating right now, but I was in favour of euthanasia in specific circumstances before I started working where I do (we put down dogs and other animals when they've had enough, why not humans?), having now worked for 5 years I am actively in favour of bringing euthanasia legislation into law. The people I've talked about above are (or were) in better condition than most on our ward. Those people slowly degenerating are particularly sad. One thing I've learnt is that death is never as quick as the movies make it out. It can be an instant or happen quickly in the night but it can also take weeks. Yes. Weeks. As Bette Davis said: "Getting old ain't for sissies".

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #228 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 8:14pm

Kick wrote on Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:07am:
Rat Man wrote on Nov 29th, 2020 at 8:13am:

Yeah. There's a fair few times in my job where you have to put how you're feeling to one side and try to find the humour in it. I won't be getting into any debating right now, but I was in favour of euthanasia in specific circumstances before I started working where I do (we put down dogs and other animals when they've had enough, why not humans?), having now worked for 5 years I am actively in favour of bringing euthanasia legislation into law. The people I've talked about above are (or were) in better condition than most on our ward. Those people slowly degenerating are particularly sad. One thing I've learnt is that death is never as quick as the movies make it out. It can be an instant or happen quickly in the night but it can also take weeks. Yes. Weeks. As Bette Davis said: "Getting old ain't for sissies".

I couldn't agree more.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #229 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 12:11pm

The term 'chainmail'.  I get that it's a modern creation because people don't talk about armour regularly anymore, and it's more descriptive to help people know what you're referring to.  But a chain is a sequence of connected metal links.  Mail is a mesh armour formed by interlocking metal rings, sometimes in fairly complex patterns.  While they are both typically made from metal rings, mail is not made from chains.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #230 - Feb 3rd, 2021 at 9:19pm

Waiting on father SITHmas  Angry

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #231 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 2:56am

Mersa wrote on Feb 3rd, 2021 at 9:19pm:
Waiting on father SITHmas  Angry

On a related note, Finnish customs! As well as my missing SITH sling, I have another package which arrived in Finland in November. I finally got the customs notification last week that I need to pay to get it released. I'm fine with paying (it wasn't even that much) but now it STILL hasn't arrived and it's been 3 months since I bought it!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #232 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 7:28am

Just for a pouch loom and maru dai mirror the other day. Seems like it took at least 2 months to get here. It was Russia and Covid-19 and not exactly a small package either so it probably sis take that long .

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #233 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 10:38am

“Pouch loom”...

That’s no way to talk to your mail-order bride Morphy

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #234 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 12:58pm

I so want to post a picture of a crocheted mono-sock but better not.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #235 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 1:29pm

Movie credits; I hate them.  Maybe I care about who wrote and directed the film and I certainly want to know the actors who portrayed the main characters but do I really need to know who the 4th lighting director is or the 3rd makeup artist?  I can look these things up on IMDB if I'm curious.  Think of all the movies you've watched and all of the time you've wasted waiting for credits you don't care about to end.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #236 - Feb 4th, 2021 at 4:44pm

Rat Man wrote on Feb 4th, 2021 at 1:29pm:
    Movie credits; I hate them.  Maybe I care about who wrote and directed the film and I certainly want to know the actors who portrayed the main characters but do I really need to know who the 4th lighting director is or the 3rd makeup artist?  I can look these things up on IMDB if I'm curious.  Think of all the movies you've watched and all of the time you've wasted waiting for credits you don't care about to end. 

Well, at least they're at the end now.  Funny watching Mary Poppins and almost everyone is listed at the beginning.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #237 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 2:47pm

Throwing away viable food is a pet peeve of mine.  Why do people eat just the florets of broccoli and cauliflower when the entire plants are edible.  People often throw away the greens of root vegetables like turnips and radishes.  Throwing away the stems and scooping and discarding the gills of mushrooms is nuts.  And peeling potatoes makes no sense because there's more nutrition in the skins then in the rest of the potato.  The seeds of any type of squash are edible.  These are just a few of many examples.  This goes back to me being cheap but wasting food irks my soul.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #238 - Feb 7th, 2021 at 3:56pm

People that aren’t grateful for heartfelt gifts regardless if they are crap or not. I don’t like ungrateful people. Swallow your pride, it’s the thought that counts.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #239 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 12:13am

Morphy wrote on Feb 7th, 2021 at 3:56pm:
People that aren’t grateful for heartfelt gifts regardless if they are crap or not. I don’t like ungrateful people. Swallow your pride, it’s the thought that counts.

My sibs and I were raised old school.  No matter what we got we'd have to act happy under penalty of death.  The worst thing for us kids was getting clothes for Christmas or birthdays.  Mom HAD to get us clothes for school anyway.  Every so often we'd open a present from some aunt or uncle and it would be the dreaded clothes.  "Oh, joy."  I don't know if kids still feel the same today but to us it was a total waste of present space.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)