Pet peeves (Read 57170 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Pet peeves
Reply #210 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 12:21pm

Sarosh wrote on Jan 27th, 2020 at 5:05pm:
the circumstance that I would love driving would be in a desert , abandoned highway/city . There are too many cars in the streets!

There are definitely too many cars on the streets.  Especially in New Jersey. 
     The worst traffic I ever saw or had to deal with in my life was in Seoul, Korea in the 1970s.  You had the Stone Age meeting the worst of the 20th Century.  Ox carts, Kimchee Cabs, no rhyme or reason, entire families of farmers running hand in hand across eight lane highways and being wiped out, way too much volume.  It was like the Wild West on wheels.  It was a hell of a place to be a Traffic Accident Investigator.

Edit:  When driving across the country I noticed the traffic around Chicago was pretty extreme.  Plus it seemed to take forever to get around it. 
    The traffic around New York City is pretty bad too.  It's a combination of the volume and the fact that most NYC drivers are aholes. 
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2020 at 11:56pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #211 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 8:14pm

Our older members will relate to this... what I call old people injuries.  These are mystery injuries that pop up on their own with no apparent rhyme or reason. 
    Currently my rigtht ankle has had me hobbled for a week.  I didn't twist it, bang it, kick anything, etc..  As best I can deduce I strained it walking Pandora at the off leash dog park six days ago.  There was nothing unusual about our walk  but this is the only physical thing I did around the time it started hurting. 
    The timing couldn't be worse because everything on earth (including my bowling alley) is closed due to the virus and now I can't walk the dogs.  I am going stir crazy. 
    In the overall scheme of things this is small potatoes.  It will pass.  This is something else you guys have to look forward to as you get old.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #212 - May 26th, 2020 at 9:53pm

Here in America two of our discount supermarket chains are BJ's and Sam's Club.  Their prices are good, especially if you buy in bulk but they require you to pay yearly dues.  That's right, you have to give them money to shop in their store.  For real.  To me that seems bass ackwards.  If anything they should be paying me to shop in their store.  If they were the only such discount food markets I could see it... maybe.  But I do better at Save A Lot than either BJ's or Sam's and there is no yearly fee there.  Also there's Aldi's that requires no dues.  It will be a cold day in hell before I pay someone for the privilege
of shopping in their store.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #213 - May 26th, 2020 at 11:46pm

Aldi’s is great. Love that store

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #214 - May 27th, 2020 at 8:50am

Morphy wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 11:46pm:

They recently opened a new one right up the road from me. I'll have to check it out. Do you bring your own bags like Save A Lot?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #215 - May 27th, 2020 at 8:55am

Plastic bags are no more in Australia. Bring your own bags always.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #216 - May 27th, 2020 at 9:04am

Rat Man wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 8:50am:

They recently opened a new one right up the road from me. I'll have to check it out. Do you bring your own bags like Save A Lot?

Yep bring your own bags. The prices are great as is the quality of products at least in the ones around here. I think you’ll like it.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #217 - May 28th, 2020 at 12:38am

Morphy wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 9:04am:
Rat Man wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 8:50am:

Yep bring your own bags. The prices are great as is the quality of products at least in the ones around here. I think you’ll like it.

I did shop at an Aldi's once many years ago. I remember liking it but it wasn't really close to where I lived and there were other decent discount markets nearby.  I'm due to go shopping in a few days. I'll give it a try.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #218 - May 28th, 2020 at 12:38am

Mersa wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 8:55am:
Plastic bags are no more in Australia. Bring your own bags always.

That's great. I wish we'd do that in America.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #219 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 12:08am

This is off topic but I did try Aldi yesterday.  I went there with the intention of comparing it to Save A Lot.  Once inside I realized that wasn't possible. Apples and oranges.  They are two completely different types of markets.  Aldi is a relatively small place.  It's more of a big convenience store while Save A Lot is a full blown supermarket, be it a small one.  Consequently Aldi can't possibly match Save A Lot's selections and prices.  That said, for what it is I liked Aldi just fine.  If I needed just a few quick items I'd go there.  For a full shopping order I'll stick to Save A Lot.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #220 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 2:09pm

"Due to heavy call volume wait times will be longer than usual."  This alone is enough to piss one off.  For what they charge they should be able to hire enough people to man the phones.  But then they have to rub salt into the wound.  A recording in a saccharine sweet voice tells you, "We thank you for your patience.  Someone will be with you shortly."  For the ninth time.  WTF ON EARTH MAKES YOU THINK I HAVE ANY %%^(@!+=! PATIENCE?  I am big, old, mean, miserable, violent, and have no &*%$#@()ed patience whatsoever!!!!   I'd like to rip your eyes out and (*^$#@@!* you!  That's how (*%#$^ed patient I am!!!!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #221 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 4:10pm

Yes. I am not sure what they could say that wouldn't incite more rage, but "Thank you for your patience" is not it.

John R.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #222 - Oct 22nd, 2020 at 6:36pm

Rat Man wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 1:14pm:
Germaphobes;
    They amuse more than annoy me but I feel they bear mentioning here.  They run around with their hand sanitizer, wipes, and sprays and believe they are much healthier than the rest of us.
     The air you breathe is full of germs.  The food you eat, everything you touch, drink, etc. is covered in and full of germs.  There are billions of germs in your body at any given moment. Get real. Yes, we should wash our hands after going to the bathroom, bathe or shower regularly, change our underwear, take out the garbage, etc..  Beyond that you're sucking seawater and looking very foolish.

Edit:    It's amazing what a worldwide plague will do to change one's perspective.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #223 - Oct 23rd, 2020 at 5:21am

Grin Grin Grin

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #224 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 4:30pm

"Sorry I called 911 I had a nose bleed but it stopped now. It's not an emergency or anything but do you think I should go to the hospital just in case? It's 2 am I hope I didn't wake you."

"My doctor won't refill my pain meds can you take me to (insert hospital 40 miles away)" "No ma'am we can only take you to these two hospitals in our district. We can't live the city without 911 services." "Oh I can't go to those hospitals they won't refill my pain meds any more either." "It's 3 am hope I didn't wake you."

"Sir, sir, SIR you have MULTIPLE stab wounds and are clearly in shock. You have falling blood pressure, no audible respiration's on your right side and dull percussive sounds. All indications show you are having a massive hemothorax and could die if you don't go with us." "Naw, I got this, I'll just have a beer and walk it off."

"What's the last thing you remember before crashing ? "Well I had crushed up a bunch of OxyContins and put them in a straw to snort. I was driving down the highway and took a big hit and that's the last thing I remember." "Ma'am I'm sure you will be glad to know your baby in the back seat was not injured." "Huh? Oh good."

Oh my I could go on and on.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris)