Pet peeves (Read 57137 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Pet peeves
Reply #195 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 11:00am

most people get a cheap wired or wireless mouse - sooo much easier than the touchpad.

And microsoft 'help' is almost as big a joke as losing microsoft 'support' for an operating system, being a bad thing Smiley

Also by 'bars' do you mean the left and right buttons ?
They are still there, you just press the left and right corner of the pad down instead of easy to discern buttons.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #196 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 8:48pm

Loss of support means no new security updates. That’s bad if you are using software for your business and can’t upgrade the OS!  A lot of laboratory equipment has this problem.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #197 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 1:43pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 16th, 2020 at 11:00am:
most people get a cheap wired or wireless mouse - sooo much easier than the touchpad.

And microsoft 'help' is almost as big a joke as losing microsoft 'support' for an operating system, being a bad thing Smiley

Also by 'bars' do you mean the left and right buttons ?
They are still there, you just press the left and right corner of the pad down instead of easy to discern buttons.

Yes, you are correct. Thanks.  None of my literature said anything like that.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #198 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:12am

lol - always ask an expert Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #199 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 2:57pm

curious ardvark and Kick.
i agree whole heartedly ,even having lived in the states for 47 years it irks me. its herb or erb as in the french pronouciation . carmel drives me nuts ..i was an under buyer in Selfridges food hall many yeasr ago ..young women asked for apples ..i asked what fro as in eating or cooking  ,she said for carmel apples..lucky we were young ,and she was cute, it took me for ever to work out what she wanted to do with them.  then i explained we make toffee apples ....quite different things

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #200 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 7:13am

Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #201 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 1:23pm

Every time someone passes on the right when you're driving (or the left if you drive in a left handed country) once in front of you they go under the speed limit. Always.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #202 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 1:38pm

Driving. I hate driving. I hate cars. Mercifully, Helsinki has fantastic public transport so I haven't driven a car for more than a minute in about 7 years. I hate the responsibility of being in control of a big hunk of fast moving metal that could kill someone in the blink of an eye and I HIGHLY resent the fact that, no matter how good a driver I am, all it would take to turn a trip to the shops to a trip 6 feet under, is some idiot that felt they really had to check that latest Instagram post whilst supposedly being in control of a machine that can turn your bones to powder. Cars are terrible and I hate them.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #203 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 1:53pm

Unfortunately here in America public transportation generally leaves much to be desired.  Being cheap as I am I've often considered getting rid of my car.  Insurance is brutally expensive in New Jersey and most of the nation. But doing so would make me practically a hermit.  Unless one lives in a major city a car is just about a necessity.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #204 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 6:08pm

Hey I live in southwest Australia, there is no public transport so you have to drive a car. I also hate driving

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #205 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 10:27pm

I actually like driving.  I just wish there were no other cars or traffic lights around while doing it. Cheesy

I've got a bunch of driving related pet peeves.  It drives me crazy (no pun intended) when:
  • People start breaking as they approach a traffic light that's green.  It's almost as if they are trying to get a red light.
  • Traffic lights that change to red when there is no one coming the other direction.  It seems that they just want you to sit and wait for nobody.  It's 2020, am I the only one who thinks this shouldn't happen any more?
  • Drivers who are moving slower than everyone else, but won't get out of the passing lane.
  • You're sitting at a green light, but can't go because there's someone in front of you waiting to turn left and facing a line of oncoming traffic.
  • Traffic lights turn red just as you reach them.  When literally one more second of the green light would get you through.
There are probably others, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.  Actually thinking about, maybe I hate driving too. Grin

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #206 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 1:11pm

wow I thought me hating driving was something strange .

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #207 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 3:21pm

I actually like driving.  I hate what it costs though.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #208 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 5:05pm

the circumstance that I would love driving would be in a desert , abandoned highway/city . There are too many cars in the streets!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #209 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 12:16pm

Rat Man wrote on Jul 18th, 2018 at 2:34pm:
   I watch a lot of MMA and some Boxing.  I also have some experience with unarmed combat. I hate seeing a fighter who paws with his jab, using it as a range finder.  The purpose of the jab is to knock your opponents fillings out of his teeth.  Don't throw a jab unless you mean it.  Also, the jab is very underused, especially in MMA.  It should be a primary weapon used to do damage, keep your opponent from being able to set anything up, and the setup for most of your offense. Follow a double or triple jab in and things open up.
    Here is Larry Holmes who arguably had the best jab ever.  Learn to jab like Larry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRKOBVih4uk

Just a  few more thoughts on the jab.  After the backfist it is the fastest punch you can throw if you do it correctly.  You should never load up on your jab or telegraph it.  Just shoot it out there. It should be like cracking a whip. The idea is to connect before your opponent is able to block it. 
     And because you don't load up on it throwing the jab won't tire you out.  Even when you're starting to run out of gas you can still jab effectively. 
     Getting popped in the face constantly throughout a fight can greatly dishearten and discourage your opponent.  A strong jab will take the wind out of an opponents sails and open up many other possibilities for you.
     Out of all the boxing matches and MMA fights I see on TV and the few rare street fights I see these days almost no one utilizes the jab enough.  95% of all fighters would be better if they correctly jabbed more.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)