Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22
Send Topic Print
Pet peeves (Read 57147 times)
walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Pet peeves
Reply #180 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 2:59pm

When someone asks me what do you think about whatever and I give my opinion, but they don't agree and begin to argue. They asked for my op. How can it be the wrong answer  noidea

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #181 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 4:10pm

Related to that, people that ask questions not because they want to hear your opinion, but because they want an excuse to express their opinion to you.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #182 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 9:27am

Speaking of asking for opinions... what do you think about when someone only acknowledges what you just said for the purpose of changing the subject to what they really want to talk about?  @ walter, I hope you have an opinion on this so I can argue with you Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #183 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:53pm

I do, but now wise enough not to share it Tongue

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #184 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 10:29pm

Fights on TV or in movies.  Big guys will be smashing each other in the face with bare fists and there are no marks at all or if there are they're gone the next day.  If you get caught by a right cross square in the face you're going to look bad for a while.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #185 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 1:53pm

The "reply-all" clickers in huge mailing lists  Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #186 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 2:02am

Teg wrote on Nov 19th, 2019 at 1:53pm:
The "reply-all" clickers in huge mailing lists  Cheesy

The number of times I would get replies to emails that were sent out to the entire nursing student body at uni that just said "Thanks for the info!" because someone 1. would be replying to an email that didn't need a reply 2. didn't understand that Reply All means REPLY ALL. Infuriating to have my inbox filled with so much spam.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #187 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 10:29am

people who repeat the last thing you say.

we have 2 friends who do this.

I always figured if they ever talked to each other it'd be the world's longest echo Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #188 - Nov 22nd, 2019 at 7:57pm

Telemarketers.  The sons of bitches should be illegal.  I suspect some day they will be.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #189 - Dec 8th, 2019 at 1:17pm

Car commercials where people give each other new cars for Christmas.  Have any of your friends or family members ever given or gotten a new car for Christmas? Me either.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #190 - Dec 8th, 2019 at 2:32pm

Rat Man wrote on Dec 8th, 2019 at 1:17pm:
Car commercials where people give each other new cars for Christmas.  Have any of your friends or family members ever given or gotten a new car for Christmas? Me either.

"I was thinking... I've seen you hinting all year that the one thing you would really want for Christmas is a large monetary drain that will require long term maintenance and upkeep and you didn't want any say in the colour or make so... I bought you a car without having a conversation about it to maintain the fleeting surprise of my gift!"

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #191 - Dec 9th, 2019 at 8:17am

Quote:
"I was thinking... I've seen you hinting all year that the one thing you would really want for Christmas is a large monetary drain that will require long term maintenance and upkeep and you didn't want any say in the colour or make so...

'I'm pregnant !'

whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #192 - Dec 9th, 2019 at 12:58pm

I see chefs on TV do this all the time.  They'll want to add a hot pepper to what ever they're preparing.  They'll cut open the pepper to chop it up but first the scoop the seeds out and throw them away because they don't want to make the dish hot.  Like DUH!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #193 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 11:16pm

This isn't a pet peeve of mine but some people are deeply offended by pineapple on their pizza. I can understand this because pizza is something to be passionate about.  I like almost anything so I'm fine with Hawaiian Pizza.  I can't think of any sort of pizza I don't like.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #194 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 2:51pm

Microsoft Help;
      Some good friends got me a new computer for Christmas.  It's an HP laptop like my old one. The old one has two bars under the fingerpad  that in conjunction with the fingerpad allow me to copy and paste text and move files around .  The new computer has no such bars. There is nothing under the fingerpad. 
  So I asked Microsoft Help "How do I move files around on my desktop?"  To me this seems like a very simple, straightforward question in plain English.  Help answered everything but.  Then it tried to send me on a wild goose chase through Helpland. 
    This infuriated me. I started using computers in the early 80s.  In all of the countless times I've used Microsoft Help it has never once answered my question or helped me in any way.  It's like a long standing joke between Microsoft and their customers.  Writing a program so comprehensively useless has to be a conscious effort.
    Does anyone know how to move files, copy, and paste on newer HP computers that don't have the two bars at the bottom of the keypad?  Thanks.

Edit:  Yesterday I found a piece of paperwork with the packaging that explained how to use the fingerpad to achieve the functions once provided by the missing bars. It involves double tapping and using multiple fingers simultaneously.  Why couldn't Help tell me that?
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2020 at 8:05pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man)