Target Patterns? (Read 3808 times)
woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Target Patterns?
Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:46pm

Hello,
    Does anyone have a solid pattern for a target? Can we get a sticky thread going in this section on Target builds and patterns as a general resource?

I'd be most interested in a portable type, honestly, until I have my farm going. Then I'm installing a permanent sling range next to the rifle range.

Thanks.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Target Patterns?
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:28pm

This thread might be of some use, it's from CA, and his 3d machine.
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1510836848

You could possibly build some sort of portable catch box, really big in the slingshot community.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:29pm

A big pan makes for a good target Cheesy I've also used cardboard boxes but even with tennis balls they don't last long. Wooden targets are what I've used most and they last quite a long time but a few hundred hits (and being left out in the elements) eventually splits them.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 8:17pm

Thanks for the assistance!

I've been looking into the possibility of making paper targets for tracking hits as well, but haven't built a regulation frame to test it on yet. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will have a chance.

The problem is, I'm starting over with the frame idea, and I'd rather not re-invent the wheel if I don't have to. Refining a previous idea is likely the easiest way to go.

Again, thanks!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:21am

Curious_Aardvark was building a target frame that was pretty portable and lightweight. I'm fairly sure it was the same sort of dimensions as used in the international Balearic competitions.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:45am

When you say target do you mean just the target or a portable backstop/target. This is what I use. It's about as portable as you can get. You can cut off the bar with a hacksaw if you wish and hang it from a rope for eye level shooting or into the ground for something closer to hunting.

You would probably want some type of backstop as well. It depends on what you're looking to do.

https://www.amazon.com/Do-All-Outdoors-Self-Healing-Target-Caliber/dp/B0037NA994

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:10am

yeah the pipe target is bang on balearic target dimensions.
Just been too cold, wet and dark to get it to the field.
Every field round here is essentially swamp at the moment. Not even sure sarah's range rover would get on and off the field at the moment.

But it's an easy enough build.

The wooden one is also pretty good - just takes a long time to put up and take down. But if you had a permement pitch, then it would be much easier as you wouldn't need the built in foldability.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 1:55pm

Morphy wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:45am:
When you say target do you mean just the target or a portable backstop/target. This is what I use. It's about as portable as you can get. You can cut off the bar with a hacksaw if you wish and hang it from a rope for eye level shooting or into the ground for something closer to hunting.

You would probably want some type of backstop as well. It depends on what you're looking to do.

https://www.amazon.com/Do-All-Outdoors-Self-Healing-Target-Caliber/dp/B0037NA994

I've been interested in these targets but I already have good enough targets so I never went through and got one. How are they with slings?

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 6:34pm

Ah, I should have been specific. I was looking to put together a balaeric type target.

I'll check out CA's version, but without a 3d printer, it might take some thought.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:22pm

Perhaps a painters easel??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:27pm

Kick wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 1:55pm:
Morphy wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:45am:

I've been interested in these targets but I already have good enough targets so I never went through and got one. How are they with slings?

They are great Otter. I used many different targets before finding and settling on this kind.

The circle I think is 9 inches. So it's not super small, and not so big you aren't pushing yourself to get better. The rubber will never break under normal conditions, although the metal stand will eventually become pretty bent after many impacts. Once the stand is no good I cut them off and string paracord through them.

I recommend them whenever people ask about targets because they really are quite good. You can also get one the shape and size of a squirrel. So, great for hunting practice.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 10:30am

Interesting. I might invest in one once the pan is completely crumpled Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, LightSlinger, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)