Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Tutorial: Mersa Sling, Single strand split pouch . Bowline base. (Read 21032 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Tutorial: Mersa Sling, Single strand split pouch . Bowline base.
Reply #15 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 4:41am

Just wanted to bump this and ask everyone's opinion on a name for this design?

It's single strand .
Has a bowline and a weave as core techniques to know.
Can be untied.
Suited to paracord , dyneema , cord and alike.
And it's a split pouch.

I really think this design should be added to the forums FAQ section as I think it's possibly one of the easiest and most effective designs.

Cheers guys
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2022 at 8:49pm by Mersa »  

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Tutorial: Single strand split pouch . Bowline base.
Reply #16 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 9:00am

I never did have a go at making one of these. Will have to soon. It's a great tutorial.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 7:28pm

Usually, there is an ancestor to modern sling designs. I can easily think of several examples, but your sling I believe is unique. In case you don't know, it is already the Mersa. Maybe the Down Under  Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 7:38pm

wow thanks for the tut. mersa...im gonna try to do one tonight or tomorrow...

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #19 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 6:39am

I really encourage everyone to give it a try.
Trust me once you you get the cordage type suited to you and the Ammo to the pouch it will be well weighted and have light cords. I like this as I feel it helps with a clean release.
As for names  to my friends refer to my specific sling as my DRUID sling or my sling +1 however I don't think it reflects the construction. I think that a short name is best.
Maybe not the downunder as we already have the Aussie seatbelt sling?
Rs refers to a single strand as a noodle.?
Maybe the Mersa sling ? But I don't want to call it that myself but if the name catches then I'm ok with it I guess.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #20 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 7:22am

Naming after forum users seems to be decently common

Aussie sling
Rockman
Peaceful Jeffery (PJ)

...There may be more

Names are usually short and easy to remember (though not really representative of design).

Or you could name by knot- bowline, or bowline woven split. The sheep shank slings are named by knot.

There's also a bunch that have poorly defined names or are simply referred to by category. This isn't ideal though, I'd like to see a full sling taxonomy with all known variants. This would be a nice resource for slingers looking for new ideas, and make it easier to communicate and find info about less known variants.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #21 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 8:18am

I guess that there's a way you could try to classify sling designs but there's so many variants . The easiest is by pouch. But then it gets a lot harder.
As a sling made in under 1 hour with basic principles and modern cordage i would argue that it's the best design with a single strand.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
past-moderator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 8:33am

Added to aussies faqs Smiley

Guess i'll have to look up how to tie a bowline and have ago Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 10:13am

JudoP wrote on Mar 28th, 2018 at 7:22am:
Naming after forum users seems to be decently common

There's also a bunch that have poorly defined names or are simply referred to by category. This isn't ideal though, I'd like to see a full sling taxonomy with all known variants. This would be a nice resource for slingers looking for new ideas, and make it easier to communicate and find info about less known variants.

A family tree would work. One branch solid pouches broken down into material and cord attachment. Another branch split pouches...

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #24 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 12:43pm

I'm not aware of any other sling that uses one cord and looks like that. Great design if you don't want to commit your survival cordage to a sling by having to cut it. Looking forward to trying it out.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #25 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 1:25pm

A major difficulty with a taxonomy I've found is dealing with split vs solid when in actually it is pretty much a continuum.

1) You start with a fully solid pouch

2) You then put a small hole in the centre for nothing more than extra grip or even decoration.

3) Then that small hole can become a small slit which may affect in a subtle way how the pouch deforms and grips.

4) Then you have a significant split which allows even flat pouches to significantly deform and cup.

5) Then you have variants such as aussie pouches and rockman which have a very large 'split' component but also a significant 'solid' component.

6) Then you have a basic split pouch however the split is flat woven or leather straps

7) Then you have a braided split with flat braided cords

8) Then finally a regular split pouch with solid cord or regular braided split.

It's not easy to see where the divide should be drawn and what categories can be combined together and which forms need a separate hybrid category (if anything). If you aren't careful you can make a categorization rule which produces absurd results. E.g. a split pouch which is actually a solid pouch with a 1mm hole in it.

At present I'm thinking the most logical way to divide is to split by three categories- split, solid and hybrid.

Pouches are fully solid if there is no split or not enough of a split to meaningfully change the deformation of the pouch e.g. 1), 2).

Pouches are fully split slings if and only if the split arms are braided or single cord e.g. 7), 8).

Everything else 3)-6) inclusive would be hybrid.

This seems to be the simplest and most logical division which seems to avoid the most egregious of edge cases without resorting to very complex rules to fit our intuitive ideas. I'll continue with this as the initial split anyway then post the results in a new topic as I've definitely steered this thread way off course.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 4:12pm

Mersa wrote on Mar 28th, 2018 at 6:39am:
Rs refers to a single strand as a noodle.?

yes, he does...that weirdo.  and while that is all it will prolly ever be referred to around here....it is slang.  but sometimes slang sticks.  so...whatever.    also i made one you just taught us last night with paracord, (a couple actually) and found if i shorten the bowline and do not loop it but only braid the one it is great for sling golf...

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #27 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 4:39pm

Thanks guys !! Well it's up there thanks to CA!! Hopefully it becomes a popular choice for some , and the Mersa sling it is !

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #28 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 11:54pm

I'm surprised I'm just hearing about this new tutorial now! :v
Awesome, clean design! Cool

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #29 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 2:33am

Thanks ! It's a good easy design ,  I use it for all my slings.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, David Morningstar, joe_meadmaker, NooneOfConsequence, Rat Man)