Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Braiding (Read 4698 times)
walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Braiding
Reply #15 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 6:14pm

First pic on left is a 5 strand flat braided loop that is joined with a whipped 4 strand round braid.
To the right is method #2.  Next is the round braid morphing into a five strand flat braid and last is a 9 strand flat braided loop joined together by a flat braid.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 7:25pm

I did a quick search and found nothing as well. Weird. Its probably inferior to the methods you posted anyways Teg. Its usually used as a means to decoratively taper the end of the bowstring hanging off the bowyers knot.  Im assuming it could be used in sling braiding as well but having never tried it thats all conjecture at the moment.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #17 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 8:05pm

Morphy: So similar to what this person is doing, just with the bowyers knot forming the loop instead of folding back?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob-o7jnIzc
watch :30 to 3:30
Would be a nice way to make retention loops with twisted cords. Up to now, I always fully doubled it when twisting, e.g. having a thinner diameter in the finger loop than the retention cord.

walter: I have all my fingerloops as in your last picture (9 strand flat braided) and for me this is not a problem but supports how I hold the sling. Out of curiosity: Why do you want it the other way?
Nice transitions by the way!

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #18 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 9:45pm

Teg wrote on Oct 31st, 2017 at 3:18pm:
4) Pull the string to be dropped into the core and cut it there or taper it by removing plies as in 2). Except reduction in diameter, no loose ends or fibers will be visible on the surface.
Pulling the string into the core is obvious with round braids. The flat standard braid actually has two cores. One on the left, another on the right. See appended picture on how to do it: a sketch with a track plan (how the strings move), a drawing and the actual braid. I used core 2, but you could use both cores at the same time.
Up to now, I never bothered to do this in a sling.

I've used this method on a couple of slings, and while a bit tedious, it can be used effectively. Awhile back I had an order for a paracord Balearic sling. Paracord is so thick that it's hard to taper it subtly, but with this method and some experimentation, the sling came out well. The last few decreases were cut, melted, and sewn in place, but the most of the taper involved dropping strands into the cores.

-Timothy Potter

paracord_balearic.jpg (421 KB | 51 )
paracord_balearic.jpg

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 10:03pm

beautiful sling Timothy Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 10:57pm

Teg wrote on Nov 1st, 2017 at 8:05pm:
Morphy: So similar to what this person is doing, just with the bowyers knot forming the loop instead of folding back?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob-o7jnIzc
watch :30 to 3:30
Would be a nice way to make retention loops with twisted cords. Up to now, I always fully doubled it when twisting, e.g. having a thinner diameter in the finger loop than the retention cord.

That would be a nice way to construct the loop. This though is not a rat tail. The video shows staggering of the plies to create a tapered effect off the loop. (At least that is how I accomplish the same effect when making similar bowstrings, I didnt have the sound on when watching so correct me if Im wrong here.) A rat tail is different and Im at a loss on how to explain it better. Ill keep looking for a picture. Im not even sure if it would be useful for what Walter was asking, but who knows, maybe someone will try it some day.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 11:38pm

Teg, The rat tail is a way to end a string that is out in the open. Tapered until it runs out. Like a rat's tail Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #22 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 9:59am

I usually just drop the strands as I go, alternating from side to side. It's easy and that's the selling point to me haha. But honest, it looks fine and I never notice the ends unless I would look for them
I will say, tapering is much easier than adding in my experience and I've even made slings that start at the pouch just cause it works so much better for me.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #23 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 5:25pm

I'll keep my eyes open for any remains of vermins when I'll see my bowyer friends the next time Wink.

Walter: I thought a bit about your 90 degree problem and came up with another way. It is not perfect as there is a little bump in the transition. I tried a couple different variations of this interlocking but none convinced me. So I just compiled the easiest one.

As a sideproduct: From the interlocking it is also possible to start square braids. It takes a bit of rearrangement though...

Compi2.png (952 KB | 45 )
Compi2.png

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 4:42pm

Teg, thanks for sharing! I am going to try it out this week end.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 10:23am

There are five strands in the finger loop so I braid one strand over two strands; ten in the retention cord (2 over 2 sets of 2); twenty just before the split (4 over two sets of 4); ten in each split; twenty strands where the splits come together at the beginning of the release cord.

I'm braiding 4 over two sets of 4, but dropping strands now. About two ever other pass. Going to get back to ten strands. At what point should I switch to 2 over?

I am back to ten strands; braiding 2 over 2. I want to taper to five strands.  At what point do I switch to 1 over?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris)