Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Braiding (Read 4639 times)
walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Braiding
Oct 30th, 2017 at 10:14pm

I would like to start a thread on braiding. I think we have a fair amout of accomplished braiders and it seems more than a few that could use a little help here and there. Myself included.

I have been braiding slings for more than a few years (fiber for just a couple years) and still have not figured out how to do this or that.

I used to round braid. Always. Sometimes even the finger loop Undecided
Balearic slings changed all that. While straight flat braiding (think retention cord) is easier than round braiding (to me) dropping strings in order to taper the release cord is not.

So, my first question is, how do you hide the drop? I am not talking fiber, but string or twine.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Re: Braiding
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 3:24am

walter wrote on Oct 30th, 2017 at 10:14pm:
So, my first question is, how do you hide the drop? I am not talking fiber, but string or twine.

i'm curious to know what others do.
i  don't do that much tapering. it usually happens at either side of the split pouch going from 12 to 6 strings. i just sew it , in the past i would leave it like that.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 5:22am

My drops always end up looking pretty ugly. I don't hide them all that much at all so I would love some tips on this too.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 8:29am

I do a good bit of tapering. And it’s usually hard to see the cord I cut off. All I really do is cut a little after dropping it so that it doesn’t interfere with braiding, then once the braiding is done I cut it close to the main body. I believe my apache sling tutorial mentions tapering, so maybe it could be of help. http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1498535790/0

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 3:18pm

There are actually a couple possibilities, which can be done in flat as well as round braids. General rule: The finer your thread is and the more strings you take, the better it will look.
Loosely sorted in order of difficulty:

1) as mentioned by Drakolith: Just drop it, continue braiding, cut off closely once done. Drawback: will not look nice with large diameter string, possibility to unravel if you do not take that many threads (secure it with glue, tape, sewing or wrapping).

2) If using plied string or twine (much commercial string is 2 or 3 ply),  cut one ply, unravel and drop it, continue braiding, do the same with the next ply, etc. until the string you want to drop vanishes. Cut close to the finished braid once done. There is the possibility to also only remove parts of plies if a really smooth transition is required.

3) If using multiple strings per strand, separate the plies as in 2), twist remaining plies to another string in the strand and continue to cut plies while braiding.

4) Pull the string to be dropped into the core and cut it there or taper it by removing plies as in 2). Except reduction in diameter, no loose ends or fibers will be visible on the surface.
Pulling the string into the core is obvious with round braids. The flat standard braid actually has two cores. One on the left, another on the right. See appended picture on how to do it: a sketch with a track plan (how the strings move), a drawing and the actual braid. I used core 2, but you could use both cores at the same time.
Up to now, I never bothered to do this in a sling.

Hint for the ambitioned braider: Variation 4) can also be used for changing colors in flat braids. Hide one or more colors in the cores, braid the other one, then swap out threads.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 3:47pm

I forgot: In my experience, braiding tight and dense with some tension helps as well.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 9:41pm

Thank you Drakolith an Teg!  I think you have given more than a few braiders a lift  Thumbs Up
My problem is due to a large diameter (2mm) string.  I can't see where I dropped a string on most of my slings made from commercial string because they are smaller diam or round braided. I had thought to cut the drop leaving an inch, separating the fibers and trapping them in the braid like I was braiding a fiber sling. The string would now be flat and thin. When tha excess is cut it would hardly be noticible. Better yet would be to do as Teg said and incorporate some of it into the rest of the bundle  Cool

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 9:51pm

My only real attempt at braiding is this 6 strand round braid with 3 strand flat braids for finger loop and split pouch .
Kangaroo leather.
I usually splice factory braided dyneema cords.

image_052.jpeg (235 KB | 44 )
image_052.jpeg

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 11:02pm

No problemo.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 11:21pm

First real attempt?! Looks good. How does it throw?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 11:40pm

I find it a little stretchy and the split pouch needs to be thicker/shorter or have some leather attached to make it more of a cup.
Might put something in the core to take some stretch out one day.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 11:53am

Im still trying to visualize everything Teg mentioned. He may have touched on something similar but if not I will mention this. In making a rattail on a the end of a bowstring you wax it then use a razor to scrap and taper the ply. Continue braiding it until the end of the taper disappears into the main cord body and then wax the whole cord when done. It should work in some cases on slings as well.

Im glad you asked this. Ive been wondering what others do in the situation as well.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 5:59pm

I've also have a question about finger loops. On most, if not all balearic slings, the braid is folded over so that the ends meet and the strings are combined and you braid on. My problem with that is it causes the retention cord to twist 90  degrees.

In order for the retention to remain flat, the loop must be made at a different angle to the cord. I have found two solutions to my little problem. The first is to round braid the the strings coming together below the finger loop and then changing from round to flat.

The second is to gather all the strands, tie a constictor and braid on.
I like the second method best.

Hope to hear some comments and different solutions

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 6:10pm

Morphy, now it's my turn to be lost  Grin
Could you post a picture or link of this "rattail" made with this technique? A google search did not yield anything useful.
Otherwise it sounds similar to 2), removing only parts of plies, with additional waxing to keep everything together. But I'm not really sure if I understood it correctly.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #14 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 6:11pm

http://www.lbbyj.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=2

This is the site I used to help me with my 6 round braid.

Flat braids seem to cause the 90• problem.
Your solutions seem fine

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark)