Send Topic Print
What is your IQ? (Read 5039 times)
Luxis
Tiro

Rocks!

Serbia
Re: What is your IQ?
Reply #15 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 5:14pm

The biggest problem with inteligence tests (as with all other psychology tests) is that they are arbitrary and not 100% accurate. Plus, different psychologists have different definitions of inteligence - therefore, they are making different tests. And we can discuss which one is better, but it's useless, because they don't measure the same thing.

Also, IQ isn't equal to knowledge, or education, or moral, or any other skill and ability. If you have higher IQ than average - you have more chance to learn more quickly and easily, but it's just that. It doesn't guarantee anything.

Aardvark, are you sure taking the test cost £100? I just checked, Mensa UK test costs £25. But maybe, that wasn't Mensa =D

Morphy, average IQ of all the people is 100 and every nations average IQ is 100. Simply because IQ=100 is central dot on Gauss curve of normal distribution. If you can make a large enough testing on random population, average IQ would be 100. If it's not - than test is bad and should be altered.

Pardon my English - it's crappy at the moment

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 6:40pm

I am by nature an individualist. I don't judge anyone based on arbitrary or outward signs, as much as it's in my power as a human to do so. And as you said it doesn't guarantee anything individually as far as morality, success, or ingenuity.

That being said, nation's are ranked by average iq.

https://iq-research.info/en/average-iq-by-country

All the studies I've seen shows that no matter how the tests are reconfigured the averages hold relatively true. Again this doesn't mean anything individually, which is where some people tend to get in the weeds so to speak.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #17 - Jun 2nd, 2018 at 8:31pm

Who needs an IQ around here?  We just chuck rocks Wink

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Luxis
Tiro

Rocks!

Serbia
Reply #18 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 5:38am

Noone, of course we need IQ here, so we can make some kind of research. Like, is IQ related to prefered sling type, or maybe slinging styles. I think that would be great. Maybe we could publish the results in some respectable psychology magazine? =D

Morphy, I must say - I never heard about this research, so I don't know what to say. It's either very disturbing (if it's true) or there's something terribly wrong with it's methodology. I'll try to read more about it.
Anyway, I don't think someones IQ is the most significant factor that determines ones life, or that people should be evaluated (only) by thier IQ.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #19 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 8:14am

@Luxis, in my observation, the difference between someone who is smart and someone who is “really smart” is how fast they can process the information and respond. In some situations, you can only accomplish a task if you are fast, but in most cases going a little slower will still achieve the same result. This also varies based on the type of information you are processing and the type of response needed. This ability cannot be narrowed down to a single number in a meaningful way. An IQ number is only good for comparing yourself to others, and it doesn’t predict how well you can respond to a specific situation or challenge.

Personally, I would prefer a “dumb” person who accomplishes a task by working hard rather than a smart person who doesn’t even try. Too many people use “I’m not smart enough “ as an excuse to never try something when the truth is that they just don’t want to put in the hard work.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 8:27am

Luxis wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 5:38am:
Noone, of course we need IQ here, so we can make some kind of research. Like, is IQ related to prefered sling type, or maybe slinging styles. I think that would be great. Maybe we could publish the results in some respectable psychology magazine? =D

Morphy, I must say - I never heard about this research, so I don't know what to say. It's either very disturbing (if it's true) or there's something terribly wrong with it's methodology. I'll try to read more about it.
Anyway, I don't think someones IQ is the most significant factor that determines ones life, or that people should be evaluated (only) by thier IQ.

I don't view the findings as good or bad to be honest. I don't think they can be viewed that way.  There is no judging someone's worth or potential based solely on iq.

A very intelligent person might be lazy or worse, immoral which means their increased iq becomes a net loss for humanity.

For example, no one would suggest that the world would have been a better place if Hitler's iq had been 50 points higher. If anything, it would have made things that much worse.

Iq is only one number and not even the most important one at that.

IP Logged

Luxis
Tiro

Rocks!

Serbia
Reply #21 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 9:30am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 8:14am:
@Luxis, in my observation, the difference between someone who is smart and someone who is “really smart” is how fast they can process the information and respond.  

@Noone, this actually is one of the characteristics of IQ tests - they are time framed. So, if you manage to do more tasks and answer more questions than someone else - your IQ is higher than his. Also, pretty good indicator of your inteligence is how fast and easy can you process new, unknown informations.

And yes - IQ is just a number, but also is SAT score or any other test. And people use that kind of numbers, because it's easier to compare large groups of people. It's not a perfect solution, but we don't have better one for now.

P.S. Because we already mentioned Hitler, I think we should stop this discussion =)   
Thank you both for this exchange of thoughts and ideas. It's always interesting and enlightening to hear opinion of others on this subject

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 9:46am

I'm not comparing Hitler to anyone Luxis. He's merely an easily accessible example for most people. Hopefully no one is offended by that. It's a sensitive subject for many though.

Anyways, the original question was "What is your IQ?" To that I can say I don't know.

I know for me personally I excel at memorizing random facts, especially those in the realm of science. ( Not saying I'm great at science but memorization has always been a strong point for me.) I am very weak at math.

Most people on this thread seem reluctant to give hard numbers on their iq, but the over arching premise beyond it is just as interesting and maybe people will be less reserved if framed differently?

Does anyone here have any particular gifts? Photographic memory? Quick, subconscious mathematical calculations, etc? I find those aspects of the human mind fascinating.

Edit: fixed spelling error. Autocorrect is my arch nemesis.  Sad  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2018 at 11:01am by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Luxis
Tiro

Rocks!

Serbia
Reply #23 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 10:36am

Yeah, but I could say that Hitler, if his IQ was higher, maybe would be better painter, and would be accepted in Vienna Art school, and than he would be to busy with his artwork and wouldn't give a damn about killig millions of people. I said that just hypotheticaly, but someone can call me a nazi because of my hypothesis nad that wouldn't end well.

And, to answer the original question - pretty high. I'm mensa member, but I don't know the exact score. I don't have any mentioned gift or some other. I just learn (some staff, not everything) little easier, quicker and with more understanding then most of people around me.

Being intelligent help me a lot of times, it was handycap sometimes but every time when I said I was in mensa - it alwasy messed up the situation

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #24 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 11:21am

Luxis wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 10:36am:
I just learn (some staff, not everything) little easier, quicker and with more understanding then most of people around me.

Being intelligent help me a lot of times, it was handycap sometimes but every time when I said I was in mensa - it alwasy messed up the situation

That’s exactly my point. A Mensa-level IQ is just a number that says that you performed better on a test tham most people. I think the official threshold is top 0.1% or 1/1000 people. That’s impressive but most people don’t like it if you say you are better than them, and IQ is specifically designed to rank people. It has a built in arrogance even if you don’t intend to be arrogant about it.

It’s great if you can learn fast, but it’s much better if you do something worthwhile with that ability, and if someone else learns slowly but still learns, don’t treat them as inferior. Be smart if you can, but be humble and work hard too, and that will be something to be proud of much more than a number on a test Smiley

IP Logged

Luxis
Tiro

Rocks!

Serbia
Reply #25 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 11:43am

@Noone, it's 2% - so, every 50th persone can join Mensa. Less impresive, to be honest.
But, what the problem with "nobody-likes-me-cause-of-my-IQ" situation is this - most of the people never took valid IQ test. So, how can they know if their IQ is higher or lower than mine?

Yes, learning fast is good, because you can start using that knowledge sooner than sb who learns slower. Or you have more time to do something else, useful or just for fun.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #26 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 2:17pm

Luxis wrote on Jun 2nd, 2018 at 5:14pm:
Aardvark, are you sure taking the test cost £100? I just checked, Mensa UK test costs £25. But maybe, that wasn't Mensa =D

was 30 years ago, £70 ish, I think. Which was an awful lot of money back then, particularly for  a student.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Luxis
Tiro

Rocks!

Serbia
Reply #27 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 2:39pm

Aardvark, it is a lot of money. Plus, that only testing fee - yearly membership costs even more. At least, now it's like that here

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #28 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 3:29pm

Luxis wrote on Jun 3rd, 2018 at 9:30am:
P.S. Because we already mentioned Hitler, I think we should stop this discussion =)   
Thank you both for this exchange of thoughts and ideas. It's always interesting and enlightening to hear opinion of others on this subject

LOL
Are you invkoing Godwin's law?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

IP Logged

Luxis
Tiro

Rocks!

Serbia
Reply #29 - Jun 3rd, 2018 at 3:35pm

Noone, not directly =) I'm pretty sure I read somewhere some kind of internet "rule" that, once someone mentions Hitler - that conversations should stop immediately, before things go the hell. But I didn't find it, but I discovered this law =)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)