Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Sling as main survival weapon (Read 29262 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Sling as main survival weapon
Reply #90 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 2:54pm

I just remembered two other "primitive" weapons that would be easy to implement and potentially more accurate than a sling, the amentum and the Swiss arrow.

I know for a fact they've been posted about on the forum before but just for those unfamiliar, the amentum is a javelin with a piece of cord or a leather thong attached that works by increasing your throwing power.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amentum
The Swiss arrow (also known as a Dutch arrow, Scotch arrow, Yorkshire arrow or Gypsy arrow) is in some ways similar to the amentum but the cord you use is longer and doesn't stay attached to what you're throwing, in this case rather than a javelin an arrow (technically dart but basically an arrow).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_arrow

Both would be very easy to make in a survival situation I feel and would help in hunting, being that step above just a spear. The amentum was historically used for hunting, the Swiss arrow I'm less sure of and I'm not exactly sure of how powerful and so effective it would be but could most probably be used for smaller game. I've been wanting to make some Swiss arrows and try them out for myself but it's a little difficult here in the city to find the space for practice. If I can get to the Summer cottage this year, they'll be high on my "Make List".

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #91 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 12:51pm

If you are going to use a Swiss Arrow for hunting, even in a survival situation, make the shaft as thick as your thumb or slightly bigger.  The weight of the shaft is what will make it penetrate, you can't throw it hard enough to get good penetration with a standard sized arrow.

This was from throwing an arrow at a closed cell foam target, from about 10 paces or so, the standard arrow would barely stick, it bounced off several times.  A hunting weight bow would sink the same arrow about the width of your palm deep.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #92 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 12:55pm

Ah good to hear of first hand experience with one. I suspected a regular arrow would be too light. I saw one video where they attached a metal nut fairly close to the tip to give it that extra weight which helped I think with distance as it would prevent penetration. I'm going to do some experimenting myself this summer hopefully.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #93 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 5:51am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:28am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

slingingrocksforfun

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #94 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 8:53pm

Sorry,  i think most slingers would get more calories diggin' up roots.
Only real chance would be slinging into a flock of birds.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #95 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 12:23pm

slingingrocksforfun wrote on Jul 6th, 2020 at 8:53pm:
Sorry,  i think most slingers would get more calories diggin' up roots.
Only real chance would be slinging into a flock of birds.

Agreed.  Or slinging at a squirrel's nest.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #96 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 12:44pm

RS wrote on Jan 28th, 2018 at 5:26pm:
wild turkeys are the most fun to hunt with a sling, imo.  you can place the small caller in your mouth and hold it.  the best throw for it is the 'turkey hunter overhand', developed in the appalachian hills.  throws such as the helicopter or balearic styles that have a spinning windup are useless as turkeys can see very well. and standing really still while holding your hands above your head in the greek style for fifteen minutes waiting for a answering group of turkeys to approach can make that lil' sling and rock as heavy as a mountain after a while. check ur state hunting laws to make sure you do not violate them.  if u wish for a little more excitement, and wish for a predator hunt, bobcats, also are much fun to sling hunt.  a sling in the right hands with proper ammo can kill any north american animal..yes even bears.  i do not know any who have done so, but do know a man who used the turkey hunter overhand style to kill a deer once.  for real.

This guy really was full of crap, wasn't he?  Wild turkeys are very wary, intelligent prey.  They are difficult to hunt with a shotgun.  I'd say one's chances of bagging one with a sling are pretty close to zero.  And a sling in anyone's hands won't kill a Brown Bear.  They are huge, tough, and their hides and skulls are thick.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, you might piss one off. That's the best you can hope for.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #97 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 1:11pm

That's what the sling was used for, flock hunting
A bird every once awhile is a nice addition to a main diet of fish, plants and other game
Pigeons taste good
The kills are pretty clean, you just hear a small thumpf on a hit and the bird falls to the earth, which is another impact that settles it

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #98 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 8:54pm

Rat Man wrote on Jul 7th, 2020 at 12:44pm:
RS wrote on Jan 28th, 2018 at 5:26pm:
wild turkeys are the most fun to hunt with a sling, imo.  you can place the small caller in your mouth and hold it.  the best throw for it is the 'turkey hunter overhand', developed in the appalachian hills.  throws such as the helicopter or balearic styles that have a spinning windup are useless as turkeys can see very well. and standing really still while holding your hands above your head in the greek style for fifteen minutes waiting for a answering group of turkeys to approach can make that lil' sling and rock as heavy as a mountain after a while. check ur state hunting laws to make sure you do not violate them.  if u wish for a little more excitement, and wish for a predator hunt, bobcats, also are much fun to sling hunt.  a sling in the right hands with proper ammo can kill any north american animal..yes even bears.  i do not know any who have done so, but do know a man who used the turkey hunter overhand style to kill a deer once.  for real.

This guy really was full of crap, wasn't he?  Wild turkeys are very wary, intelligent prey.  They are difficult to hunt with a shotgun.  I'd say one's chances of bagging one with a sling are pretty close to zero.  And a sling in anyone's hands won't kill a Brown Bear.  They are huge, tough, and their hides and skulls are thick.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, you might piss one off. That's the best you can hope for. 

Slinging at a brown bear is a fantastic way to get torn in half lengthwise.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #99 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 7:40am

Razor glandes!!
Aim for the eye!
Turkey style
Bear burgers!!!!!!!

Don’t know what’s so unbelievable ha ha

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #100 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 1:39pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:25am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #101 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 2:30pm

I think david in bible used it to drive predator animals away. wouldnt try it though...

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #102 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 9:09pm

Mersa wrote on Jul 8th, 2020 at 7:40am:
Razor glandes!!
Aim for the eye!
Turkey style
Bear burgers!!!!!!!

Don’t know what’s so unbelievable ha ha

LOL!  This is why I loved RS. He turned trolling into an art form. Don’t get me wrong... CA did the right thing by banning him, and he was definitely trolling us with every post.  He really took advantage of the fact that we all wanted to believe the amazing sling stories he told. His creativity and ability to tell stories with just the right amount of believability in them was top notch. You always had to second guess the idea that it was all complete nonsense, because something about it seemed like it could maybe be true.  My absolute favorite of RS’s BS stories has still got to be Jesus the “Noodler”.  Stunning and catching fish with a flat stone was a close second.  Roll Eyes

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #103 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 10:24pm

Oh yeah I love the noodle story, it’s like a conspiracy theorist meets religion meets slinging.org, actually brilliant looking back, would make a great b grade comedy movie.

But I do like his turkey stories. Some of it had credibility and the fact that his style (or Morphy’s) is possibly the best trade of in movement for power and accuracy made the stories even better.

I don’t really practice the style that much but when I do I get surprised by how much power I can get in comparison to let’s say Apache.

I can’t remember who it was but it may have been Apex-apoc or RS that was convinced that captive release slings are the “hunting” slings. Whoever it was they made some good stories as well.

Ah good times on slinging.org

But jokes aside
Razor glandes, aim for the Eyes

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #104 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 1:08am

“Razor glandes... aim for the eyes.” 
Bwahahahahaha!... that would be the high-drama moment of B-movie tension as Jesus the Noodler prepares his disciples to take a desperate last stand against Judas and his demonic horde!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15)