Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Sling as main survival weapon (Read 29292 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Sling as main survival weapon
Reply #75 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 3:38pm

I would agree this would be the most effective hunting method. A flock is a much larger target than a single rabbit.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #76 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 8:57am

There's lots of air in a flock of birds.  Slinging among them is pretty much a way to miss all of them.  Pick a bird on one side of the flock and sling at it.  The stone will still go through the flock if you miss what you are trying to hit.

IP Logged

BetterTrees
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Central Arkansas
Reply #77 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 12:47am

Aiming at any bird smaller than a goose within 15 yards is folly. Even then, I'd bet 10 to one against me.
You must be a better slinger than I am.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #78 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 3:01am

As usual the issue is more to do with user proficiency than the weapons capabilities. In the scenario where we all walk in with our current capabilities the sling would only be effective as a hunting tool to survive on for a small handful of individuals. Most of us would be better off with other tools/weapons.
However if we consider that we were effective with the weapons of choice then the sling would be more than enough to effectively hunt with. Your not going to take down a TRex but I'm sure that you could get by.

As survival skills I think learning to sling and braid are very good skills to add to an existing skill set. However not the most important.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #79 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 8:58am

For flock hunting, if I could get close enough I would use a bola. Depends if they are over water or not I guess. I don't think a sling would be a bad weapon for it either, it would just take practice to see what is most effective.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #80 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 1:20pm

Or sling three or four smaller rocks.  And be prepared to chase down and beat an injured bird or animal to death. 

Survival hunting isn't pretty.  And it's nothing like sport or even substance hunting where you pass up a shot because you don't think you can make a clean kill.  Even if the odds are against you, you'll still take the shot because you don't really have a choice.

Unless, of course, you value the animals' life more than yours.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #81 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 5:48am

It depends where you live. Here in my flat and swampy country there are so many flocks, and they're big. You just need to be able to anticipate a bit, but it's not as hard as you might think. If you miss a couple of times no problem. I think it's the most effective primitive flock hunting weapon. I think in a survival scenario I could take down a few a day.

However, survival is a very broad term. Are we talking stranded survival, urban survival, societal-collapse-survival, etc. The best tool for urban survival is money, and if society collapses, a small tribe of likeminded and similar people. Once all the food from houses and stores is gone, then I'd have no trouble bringing a few birds to the stove. Diversification is the key here. One guy fishes, the other guy hunts birds, the other guys lays snares and another guy hunts deer and hare with a self bow, while the women scout for edible plants and berries. At the end of the day you're bound to have food on the table. Hunt & gather
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2020 at 5:56am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #82 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 6:08am

yep for flocks of birds it's a pretty good weapon.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #83 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 10:16am

My survival strategy:

1. Build sling, store it in pocket.
2. 3 smooth, perfect stones, shape them with water and grinding if necessary store in other pocket.
3. Drive thru at KFC, bucket of extra crispy chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and biscuits.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #84 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 3:05pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 25th, 2018 at 10:16am:
My survival strategy:

1. Build sling, store it in pocket.
2. 3 smooth, perfect stones, shape them with water and grinding if necessary store in other pocket.
3. Drive thru at KFC, bucket of extra crispy chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and biscuits.

You forgot part 4: Show off slinging skills to people dining at KFC.

Part 5: Profit?

Part 6: "Whoops, I broke your windows!"

Part 7: Run like hell. 

You are now in a survival situation, running from an angry KFC manager.  Grin

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #85 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 3:40pm

I think a strong power walk would be enough to out run our local kfc manager

IP Logged

BarefootSlinger
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Tas, Aus
Reply #86 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 11:06pm

aXPXlkRd_700w_0.jpg (36 KB | 55 )
aXPXlkRd_700w_0.jpg

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #87 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 4:29pm

yes....a sling first and foremost, with a small sheathed knife and a good walking stick.  there is no other weapon above a sling.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #88 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 5:26pm

wild turkeys are the most fun to hunt with a sling, imo.  you can place the small caller in your mouth and hold it.  the best throw for it is the 'turkey hunter overhand', developed in the appalachian hills.  throws such as the helicopter or balearic styles that have a spinning windup are useless as turkeys can see very well. and standing really still while holding your hands above your head in the greek style for fifteen minutes waiting for a answering group of turkeys to approach can make that lil' sling and rock as heavy as a mountain after a while. check ur state hunting laws to make sure you do not violate them.  if u wish for a little more excitement, and wish for a predator hunt, bobcats, also are much fun to sling hunt.  a sling in the right hands with proper ammo can kill any north american animal..yes even bears.  i do not know any who have done so, but do know a man who used the turkey hunter overhand style to kill a deer once.  for real.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #89 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 7:33pm

Rs perhaps you can join the hunting thread in sport and competition. Love to hear your experiences with hunting.

There are not many real life examples of hunting On here  so hearing any new ones is a great interest to me.

I have the idea that bears wouldn't go down very easily but agree that surely a perfect placed glande is capable of causing tremendous damage to an animal.

Always imagine a shot though the eye into the brain as the perfect shot.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)