Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Sling as main survival weapon (Read 29264 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Sling as main survival weapon
Reply #60 - Nov 3rd, 2017 at 5:45am

That's why I prefer Ray Mears. He never pretended that he was staying over night or actually surviving, he was just showing what could be done, what was done by people that actually were in survival situations and what indigenous peoples have done for thousands of years. No bull.
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2018 at 6:33am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #61 - Nov 3rd, 2017 at 8:01am

Les Stroud is just a cool guy over all. Ray Mears World of Survival is one of my favorites because of the cultural aspects. Never could get into Bear Grylls or Dual Survival. Grylls answer to most problems seems to be drinking urine or whatever is most likely to get you hurt in a survival situation.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #62 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 12:57pm

Primary weapon would be a hardwood throwing stick, shaped along the lines of a boomerang. I would have a sling handy just in case their were some fowl that were out of distance of the stick. Knife is the tool of choice.

Besides that, I'd set a lot of foot-hold snares along deer trails and try to start forming fish hooks as well.

I've made a fair number of solid long and short bows, and dozens of arrows, however, with the time invested in properly seasoning the wood and ensuring a good tiller, I could probably walk to civilization from almost anywhere in the same amount of time. If I could bring a bow with me, that's another story.

Also, on Bear, I would blame the producers more than him. They put out a show that people want to watch. He really has done a lot with the SAS reserves and climbing Everest after a debilitating back injury. But TV is rarely the best source for practical knowledge regardless.  Wink

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #63 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 9:32am

I guess most of us have seen the episode where Bear drinks water that he squeezes out of elephant dung?  God.....

IP Logged

Musketeer
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #64 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 3:50pm

I still didnt get why he forces everybody to drink pee when it is not as survivalist techique usable - just to repulse?

If you like real survival shows, try Naked and Afraid (XL) - some doods catch even DEngue! And Alone is relatively good too - just you and few items.

IP Logged

Deformed Skewb
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #65 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:59am

johan wrote on Oct 16th, 2017 at 2:18pm:
for defence:
run>sling>hand throwing> spear/long stick> club> knife>kicks>punches>grappling>playing dead  Tongue

I guess you could just load a big stone into the sling and club things with it?

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #66 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:43pm

@
Deformed Skewb

what if it entangles at the target and releases the stone back at the user?
never tried melee strikes with a sling i think it's easy to hurt myself.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #67 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 1:27pm

More likely is that it would just fall out so it's only a one hit weapon. Best make it a good hit...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Musketeer
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #68 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 4:12pm

Actually, I have seen this somewhere as usable bash weapon for people with sling on stick - when somebody gets near, you place big stone inside, if he is far, you throw it.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #69 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 5:38pm

johan wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:43pm:
@
Deformed Skewb

what if it entangles at the target and releases the stone back at the user?
never tried melee strikes with a sling i think it's easy to hurt myself.

Actually there is a weapon called a slungshot. It's a weight on the end of a rope. Used by sailors.  Also the martial arts version is called the meteor hammer.  It's the 2 weights on each end of a rope and alot longer.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #70 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 5:16am

@
vetryan15

those are a lot more safe to the user since the weight is tied .

all flail weapons need much more training and experience.
e.g. the first time using a nunchuck to hit a pole i used it as one would use a stick, that resulted to the striking part returning back to my backfist.
no matter how fast you strike.... Embarrassed ( there is a correct way of using it...)

so back to the question why use something like this and not a stick /knife or bat with which you are probably more experienced?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #71 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 5:38am

The Vikings had a weapon called the skepifletta. Basically, it's a version of a slingstaff. A notch is cut in the top of the stick, and a flat rock (flint is mentioned) is placed in it. It's cast like a slingstaff. I can see this easy to make weapon being used in survival.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #72 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:45am

A sling is so easy to carry, you don't have to limit yourself to a sling alone. I'd always carry a sling with me, just like I always carry one with me now. I often wear my braided slings around my neck. Nobody really knows what it is, I could walk around the police and they wouldn't notice. But when I need it, it's there. If I'm traveling and I see a good place to sling, I can take it out and pop a few shots. I am so used to carrying it, I feel naked without my sling.

In a survivalist situation, slinging is what I'd practice the most, simply because ammo is free and doesn't require effort to make. One time I hunted a bird with a sling. I simply threw a 100gr rock into a flock of overflying birds and one came tumbling down. Now that was not morally right to do, and I regret it. I never found that bird as it fell somewhere in dense reed. I now know hunting birds in flock is possible with a sling, but I probably should have known that to start with. Hunting flock is probably the best survival application for a sling in my country, as it's all flat and flocks are everywhere. Ducks and geese are another good potential food source to hunt with a sling. And you can afford to miss, as ammo is plentiful and so is prey. although I hope never to have to do it. I take no pleasure in hunting.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #73 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 12:49pm

Rat Man wrote on Nov 11th, 2017 at 9:32am:
I guess most of us have seen the episode where Bear drinks water that he squeezes out of elephant dung?  God.....

Don't tell me you're not curious. Doesn't every man at one point in his life wonder about the taste of elephant dung water? No? Oh ok...Ya me neither...

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #74 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 2:46pm

Hunting birds in flocks is one of the historical uses of the sling (here Herakles bringing down the birds of Stymphalos).

1990_14_0078.jpeg (52 KB | 54 )
1990_14_0078.jpeg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)