Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Sling as main survival weapon (Read 29276 times)
Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Sling as main survival weapon
Reply #45 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 10:04am

There is no TV show or video game that is a survival orientated show.

When Hollyweird gets involved, they suck all the yummie out of a subject.  And replace it with manure.  From a bull.  Or a horse.

IP Logged

Musketeer
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #46 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 10:34am

Something is relatively OK - Naked and afraid shows that thriving even when you are expert is almost impossible for modern human, but other is total crap: Survivor where people screw each other for money....

IP Logged

Musketeer
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #47 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 10:35am

BollyWood is btw. reason why some people plan to bring with their BUG OUT BAG 30 kg just in guns and ammo...

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #48 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 2:20pm

Naked and Afraid is the most legit "survival" show I've seen. Little off subject but going back to that video that youtuber made about is the sling useless as a survival weapon, he mentions that unless you have a great deal of experience with it, it's useless. Fair enough...but Naked and Afraid shows us that concept applies to even the most basic skills like fire making. Quite a few of those experts fail for days on end just trying to get a fire going or potable water. So I guess under that criteria pretty much every skill is useless.

(Glad I got that off my chest. Back to normal programming.) Wink

IP Logged

Musketeer
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #49 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 2:41pm

Hmm.. I noticed that one doode in Dual Survival used sling too... Some later series.  Using "normal" and "programming" - you joker! Tongue

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #50 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:01am

Eine Schleuder ist einfach zu fertigen. Aber es gibt einfachere Methoden. Fallen, oder einen Peitschenbogen. Diese Einfache Art, Ruten zu benutzen lernte ich als Kind in Ungarn kennen. Wir verwendeten Esche dafür. Allerdings haben wir es anders gehandhabt als auf dem Bild.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #51 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:35am

Jaegoor wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:01am:
Eine Schleuder ist einfach zu fertigen. Aber es gibt einfachere Methoden. Fallen, oder einen Peitschenbogen. Diese Einfache Art, Ruten zu benutzen lernte ich als Kind in Ungarn kennen. Wir verwendeten Esche dafür. Allerdings haben wir es anders gehandhabt als auf dem Bild.

That's from the American Boys Handy book, by Daniel Carter Beard. He helped form the American Boy Scouts. Most of what is in there would now be banned or considered abuse.   What it's showing is a Swiss Arrow.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Musketeer
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #52 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:47am

Romans have own throwing arrow - Plumbata.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #53 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 7:16am

Yeah atlatl, spear, bow would all be things you'd make before trying to use a sling as a survival weapon.

There are a couple of things you can do in your favour, bolas ammo would be the first thing  Imade after the sling.

Well after putting out snares and deadlines Smiley.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #54 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 12:04am

A good blade is generally the main survival weapon.. a sling is useful in the right hands, but not able to create tools or process food etc.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #55 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 6:38am

Musketeer wrote on Oct 22nd, 2017 at 10:34am:
Something is relatively OK - Naked and afraid shows that thriving even when you are expert is almost impossible for modern human, but other is total crap: Survivor where people screw each other for money....

Survivorman is genuine. He really is out there filming himself. He loses 7-9 lbs on every episode. He has to gain it back, then go out again.  Right now Bear Grylls is doing survival with washed up Hollywood actors, like John Goodman. Show how desperate they are.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #56 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 6:48am

Bear Grylls has always annoyed me. I much prefer Ray Mears if we are talking TV survivalists Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #57 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 8:59am

The sling wouldn't be my first choice as my primary survival weapon however I wouldn't consider it useless either.
    The sling is easy to make. There are many methods and different materials that can be used. Depending on where you are good ammo might be laying at your feet. Right after a big spear a sling would be the first weapon I make.
    If I had access to an elastic band my first choice of survival weapons would be a slingshot. They are fast and easy to put together and the ammo is also laying at your feet. Slingshots are very accurate. I woud also put together an atlatl, which isn't difficut to do. Then I would make a bow and arrows.
    The sling would be useful in hunting flocks of birds in the air or sitting waterfowl. It could also be useful for knocking squirrels out of their nests. Though not the best primary survival weapon its ease of construction, ease of carrying,  and no prep ammo laying around everywhere make it a must in a survival situation.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #58 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 9:03am

Survivornan is the real deal. Everyone else goes out with camera crews, medical teams, fake scenarios, etc. Les Stroud goes out alone. Everyone else is a wuss by comparison.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2017 at 1:27pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #59 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 3:17pm

Les stroud is awesome,  Bear Grylls is a fake, remember he got caught in a hotel in a chat room a few years back, while filming an 'over night ' in the jungle.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick)