Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Sling as main survival weapon (Read 29263 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Sling as main survival weapon
Reply #180 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 2:52pm

On another note, how viable a survival weapon a sling is can depend on where you live.  I have mentioned many times that southern New Jersey is alluvial.  During the last Ice Age the glaciers made it only as far south as north and central New Jersey.  As the glaciers retreated much of this area was under water. Consequently there are many perfect, oval shaped white river stones all over the place.  They make very accurate projectiles.  The sling would be a much more useful survival tool here than in the mountains where there's nothing but broken shale to sling. 
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2020 at 9:00pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #181 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 9:01pm

Rat Man wrote on Nov 27th, 2020 at 2:52pm:
   On another note, how viable a survival weapon a sling is can depend on where you live.  I have mentioned many times that southern New Jersey is alluvial.  During the last Ice Age the glaciers made it only as far south as north and central New Jersey.  As the glaciers retreated much of this area was under water. Consequently there are many perfect, oval shaped white river stones all over the place.  They make very accurate projectiles.  The sling would be a much more useful survival tool here than in the mountains where there's nothing but broken shale to sling. 

I agree that makes a huge difference.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2020 at 9:01pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #182 - Oct 1st, 2021 at 4:39pm

In a primitive scenario I need cordage to make fire and stones to boil water. Both also happen to be prerequisites for slinging so that goes hand in hand very nicely. And if we got clay to make clay sling bullets with we also got clay to make containers with. And this clay can also again be used to make a flywheel for a pump drill to make fire with. On a riverbed there's also a often a good stone to be used as a bearing block for a bow drill which works better than wooden bearing blocks that wear out. Stones are quite essential to survival, I'd say. IF there's flint it's even better. We got a cutting tool and a sparking device to light charred tinder. Flint is excellent for cutting small notches, skinning, and scraping dry wood for fine wood shavings that make excellent starter fuel for the fire pyramid.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #183 - Oct 3rd, 2021 at 10:45am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Oct 1st, 2021 at 4:39pm:
In a primitive scenario I need cordage to make fire and stones to boil water. Both also happen to be prerequisites for slinging so that goes hand in hand very nicely. And if we got clay to make clay sling bullets with we also got clay to make containers with. And this clay can also again be used to make a flywheel for a pump drill to make fire with. On a riverbed there's also a often a good stone to be used as a bearing block for a bow drill which works better than wooden bearing blocks that wear out. Stones are quite essential to survival, I'd say. IF there's flint it's even better. We got a cutting tool and a sparking device to light charred tinder. Flint is excellent for cutting small notches, skinning, and scraping dry wood for fine wood shavings that make excellent starter fuel for the fire pyramid.

I guess they were right to call it the Stone Age Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #184 - Oct 5th, 2021 at 9:23am

Im so glad not to be in the stone age. For somethings stone cutters work well but for things like woodworking they are pretty brutal to use when you are used to good steel.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #185 - Oct 6th, 2021 at 1:20am

That’s only because you define “woodworking” as the act of making something practical with wood, where that “something” requires clean lines and well-cut edges. You should expand the little box you’ve trapped your mind in Morphy. You should aspire to build an utterly useless piece of art from battered chunks of jagged wood, for it is the caveman’s dream to have sufficient excess calories to waste on things such as art.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #186 - Oct 6th, 2021 at 10:19am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Oct 6th, 2021 at 1:20am:
That’s only because you define “woodworking” as the act of making something practical with wood, where that “something” requires clean lines and well-cut edges. You should expand the little box you’ve trapped your mind in Morphy. You should aspire to build an utterly useless piece of art from battered chunks of jagged wood, for it is the caveman’s dream to have sufficient excess calories to waste on things such as art.

Based on the current state of modern art which has become a meme of itself I will gladly make worthless crap if it means I can make one tenth of what some of these people make.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15)