Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Sling as main survival weapon (Read 29265 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Sling as main survival weapon
Reply #150 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 3:31pm

Thanks.  BTW, gray is the very best color if you live with multiple shedding Huskies.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #151 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 4:38pm

The hero in this story for me is definitely the bear. It looks so goofy it conveys the full craziness.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #152 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 12:20am

It turned out that I really only had two choices for royalty free drawings of a standing bear.  Here is the runner up:

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #153 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 6:53am

I'm not saying you made a mistake in your choice, but...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #154 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 7:55am

I Know, I know. The club bear is silly enough to be on a shirt inspired by RS, but the drawing style didn’t match the slinger drawing, and the club just doesn’t make any sense at all. Maybe I will have to try another shirt that uses this bear?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #155 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 11:19am

Doesn't make any sense at all? Sounds like an RS post Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #156 - Jul 24th, 2020 at 12:57pm

Kick wrote on Jul 24th, 2020 at 11:19am:
Doesn't make any sense at all? Sounds like an RS post Cheesy

Club bears weren’t really RS’ style. It’s too fantastical and not plausible... RS’s stories were more geared towards getting other slingers to try doing dumb stuff like slapping a pool of water with a flat rock or bending your wrist to form a hand-turkey at the end of a throw. If there’s a story about a bear holding a club, there’s no action you can take that looks silly in response.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #157 - Jul 26th, 2020 at 12:43am

Well I think it's a matter of how proficient you are with it
But in a survival situation with nothing on your back but your clothes. A sling is available from your clothes. from plants . It makes for a good improvised weapon
And cord is a definite survival tool

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #158 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 7:19am

Very seriously  Wink, it seems that the main survival weapon for the bear is the club.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #159 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 8:15am

TOMBELAINE wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 7:19am:
Very seriously  Wink, it seems that the main survival weapon for the bear is the club.

It’s an excellent choice for any bear in a survival situation. A club in the right paws can kill any north American animal... even other bears.  I do not know any who have done so, but I do know a retired circus bear who used the turkey overhand club style to kill a deer once.  for real.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #160 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 1:51pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 8:15am:
TOMBELAINE wrote on Jul 29th, 2020 at 7:19am:

It’s an excellent choice for any bear in a survival situation. A club in the right paws can kill any north American animal... even other bears.  I do not know any who have done so, but I do know a retired circus bear who used the turkey overhand club style to kill a deer once.  for real.

LMAO!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #161 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 7:53pm

You’re all mistaken, that’s a giant spliff, the world most dangerous bear a stoner bear

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #162 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 6:31pm

slingbadger wrote on Dec 23rd, 2017 at 5:38am:
The Vikings had a weapon called the skepifletta. Basically, it's a version of a slingstaff. A notch is cut in the top of the stick, and a flat rock (flint is mentioned) is placed in it. It's cast like a slingstaff. I can see this easy to make weapon being used in survival.

Can someone tell me more about this? I can't find anymore information.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #163 - Sep 3rd, 2020 at 7:06am

Ich kenne zwar viel was wikinger betrifft, aber dies ist mir unbekannt. Es scheint mir auch keine reguläre Waffe zu sein.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #164 - Oct 31st, 2020 at 3:33am

It can be used for hunting. It's not suitable for all prey in all situations, but like any hunting your primary weapon is your brains.

Fruit bats sleep in trees higher than you can throw by hand. Birds sleep in trees as well, even chickens.

Hunting larger size animals primitively isn't about killing an animal with one well aimed shot every time. Great if it happens but often it's about injuring or slowing them enough that you can finish them off. Or herding them into a trap or towards others.

It would be my primary ranged weapon

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man)