Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Sling as main survival weapon (Read 29294 times)
Musketeer
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Sling as main survival weapon
Oct 16th, 2017 at 11:56am

Do you consider sling to be good enough to be your main survival weapon? Or you prefer other?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Sling as main survival weapon
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 12:33pm

A knife should always be your main survival weapon as you can use it to make all the others.

But, no - a sling would not be great as your main hunting weapon.

The odds are you'd starve to death before catching any game.
Bow and arrow would be better: you can aim it and hold it ready to fire, so as not to spook your prey.

A sling is a great anti personnel weapon, but for hunting small game or even large game that spooks easily - not so good.

For very specific instances the right sling is actually preferable to a bow.

For hunting flocks of water fowl a pouched sling loaded with a half dozen pebbles gives you a much better chance of hitting something then a bow.

The versatility of a solid pouch would also be preferable over the limited ammo holding of a split pouch.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Musketeer
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 12:40pm

I kindda find that myself - when you train hand movemenets, you frighten all birds and game around. When you do do common bow momevent, it is much discreet. i noticed that local waterbirds are moving away if you are 25-30 m. So this with sling and more stones is not reall I assume?

+ another vote for bow, because here is almost no good stones, but lotsa woods

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 1:05pm

Pointy stick for me. Even easier to make than the bow and, if you burn the end to harden it, it can be a pretty tough weapon.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 1:20pm

Every indigenous culture I know of had multiple weapons that filled different niches. I dont know of any that used the sling as a primary weapon. Could be wrong, but cant think of any off the top of my head.

On the other hand if you really want to understand why the sling was so popular as a secondary tool, go make a bow and arrows out of flint flakes in the bush and then hunt with them.

A little part of your soul will die everytime an arrow breaks or gets lost. Hell of a lot of work to make a good set of consistent arrows. Hence the need for a secondary weapon with cheap ammo.

IP Logged

IndyDude
Tiro

Just a slingin'

Indiana
Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 1:44pm

My main survival weapon would have to be a good knife, followed by my Ruger 10/22.. (you didn't specify primitive weapon).  .22 long rifle is the easiest round to come by (at least in the U.S.) 
It seems a sling is very versatile, and is a good weapon to have in the arsenal, but not likely to be a main weapon.

IP Logged

Musketeer
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 1:53pm

I am not afraid broke/lose few arrow daily, because, you must do something anyway besides staring to fire on long nights with 18 h darkness.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 2:18pm

depends on distance and tools:
for defence:
run>sling>hand throwing> spear/long stick> club> knife>kicks>punches>grappling>playing dead  Tongue

for hunting (probably): traps and hand throwing

IP Logged

Musketeer
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 2:29pm

With bow its easy to use any arrow you need: blunt on birds,
bodkin on humans, broadhead on hog-hunt, 4 x splitted for fishing, supa-plasma arrow (aka Fire),  ... Wink

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 6:07pm

Kick wrote on Oct 16th, 2017 at 1:05pm:
Even easier to make than the bow and, if you burn the end to harden it, it can be a pretty tough weapon.

Right! To survive or "zu überleben" in german means to "vive" without help from anyone and anything. It means to be alone or lost in nature: No cell-phone, no knife and no shelter or sleeping bag - only your brain (and knowledge), your hands and your own teeth. You can be glad if you than still have your clothes and your shoes.

What you need then before all other needs is to build a "crest" to survive the comming (cold) night and the next (cold) nights. Therefore you INSTANTLY have to find something for digging - so to find a sharp stone and / or a pointed stock (and something similar to a line). Also the first food & drink will be something what is to dig out of earth or ground.

But funny are that people, which are thinking in situations of "accident" they ... totally fortunately (!) ... could have somthing with them like a map, app or navi, a chainsaw, a lighter and a lot of fuel for both of it.

But okay - maybe to survive is not the same as to survive, because Sam Flynn in full armor asks: "What I'm suppose(d) to do?", and the blond chicken Jam (Beau Garrett) in TRON answered: "SURVIVE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qk_Hi5ArKE

And note: The "different" guy's recent armor had gotten a ZIPPER, but the most important thing after spending that bloody stupid Zipper is ... THE DISC!

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2017 at 8:25pm by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 10:17pm

To get back to your question; "Musketeer wrote on Oct 16th, 2017 at 11:56am:
Do you consider sling to be good enough to be your main survival weapon? Or you prefer other?

I love slings and slinging Cheesy but would not consider a sling as my main survival weapon. I always carry one, but to survive in a wilderness setting, I want a rifle , bow, snares and nets also Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 12:10am

I also carry a sling with me all the time . I'd use it if I had it but I'd take a good knife over the sling if I had a choice. CA raised the best point , a knife will let you build an arsenal. Slings only gonna sling.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Musketeer
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 4:50am

Problems is that with some bio-agent (rabies + flu) gone wild, economic collapse or war (see Selcos web) you may survive in your local surroundings: around me is no good stones (brought very few on build site of road etc), bud tons of nice woods + I cannot use sling in wooods = alas it limits my choices wheter I like it or not Sad.

IP Logged

Musketeer
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 5:51am

My 38 lbs Duck+BambiSlayer bow weighs 550 g, so it not a big deal bring bows two...

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #14 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 6:22am

I know the sling has been used historically to kill unarmored men, but animals are different. You may take down small ones like rabbits and groundhogs, but deer I'm not too sure. It would probably just annoy a bear.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris)