Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suggested sling-related readings ? (Read 1689 times)
alfred
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Suggested sling-related readings ?
Sep 8th, 2017 at 3:18pm

Hi, I did recently pick up a copy of "Slings and Slingstones: The Forgotten Weapons of Oceania and the Americas" and am very satisfied by the easily readable but academic level of research shown in the text.

Are there any similarly interesting texts that you'd suggest adding to my bookshelf?

Thank you

Alfred

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Suggested sling-related readings ?
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 8:49pm

There really isn't a whole lot on slings.  A lot of the older stuff is not as good as that book.

Unless you go for the really old stuff, we're talking Greek and Roman histories, and some of the Celtic legends/myths.

IP Logged

alfred
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 3:21am

Bill Skinner wrote on Sep 9th, 2017 at 8:49pm:
There really isn't a whole lot on slings.  A lot of the older stuff is not as good as that book.

Unless you go for the really old stuff, we're talking Greek and Roman histories, and some of the Celtic legends/myths.

I see, thank you.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 8:33am

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hillfort-Defences-Tactics-Sling-Warfare/dp/178491410X/r...

As principle slinger in this one - have to recommend it.
First time anyone had ever done proper practical analysis of actual slingers (as opposed to historians with slings) defending and attacking an iron age hillfort.

Given that most of it was done over 2 days in march where we had: rain. sleet, snow and icey cold winds to contend with while clambering up and down some very deep and steep ditches in wellies. My overall 68% hit rate is pretty good Smiley

The statistics are fairly heavy going, but good for all that and currently the only book of it's kind Smiley

That and the oceanic one are the only sling specific books I can recall being published recently.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)