Send Topic Print
Sling Golf (Read 8802 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Sling Golf
Reply #15 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:04pm

Well put morph, I think also the weight of your projectile plays a role in this lag. I can really see the effects in my day to day use of a Throwline in my job as an arborist. Because we only swing the weight (back and forth not round and round) we need the precise time to get the power behind the throw bag.
I'm by no means the best slinger or throwliner but I can hit a tree fork at 30m in the air with a 250g bag with 50m of line attached to the bag(long mentor hammer)

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #16 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:08am

@Morphy i think i get it. yes it's difficult to put it into words.
i contrast this with my style. for the last month i try to figure out which one is more efficient, i think there is a trade off of force and distance travelled by the arm resulting in the same energy (kinetic energy=force x distance)

haven't tried it @ long range yet to be sure

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 11:57am

I'm sure slinging came naturally to you Mersa with all your experience with the throw line. Likewise throwing with a hand reel was natural to me with my sling experience.

@Sarosh, are you comparing the distance your hand moves vs the force with which you pull as to which one is more effective? I'm trying to interpret that correctly. These subjects are easier to understand in person.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 1:07pm

@Morphy yes

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #19 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 5:08pm

Slinging actually improved my Throwline more than the other way around, but there's similarities for sure.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #20 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 3:58pm

Continuing with pirouette style practice,  Gained about 20 yards.  The golfball is traveling on a flat trajectory, so I suspect not much backspin.  Put together a longer sling, which shows promise.  I am building up endurance, as pirouette takes a whole lot more effort.

IP Logged

13North144East
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

13North144East
Reply #21 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 6:24am

Hafa Adai,

Sling golf is on the verge of becoming somehting on Guam. We are in the middle of a slinging revival and restoring slinging as sport. (the early Spanish explorers wrote of frequent slinging and spear throwing competitions here in the 1500's) and the localgolf community has been curious and kind enougfh to allow us legitimate access into 3 golf courses as of now. If anyone is serious in playing a full 18 holes against other slingers, we are hosting a Slign Golf Competition here in Guam in 2021. Im new to golf completely but slingign for 10 years. For the most part us sligngers have been right at pace with the golfers. just have to work our short game

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 7:07am

what we need is for you to rig some BIG sails to the island and move it somewhere a bit closer to the rest of us Thumbs Up

Get guelu on it !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #23 - Dec 20th, 2018 at 6:41pm

13North144East wrote on Dec 17th, 2018 at 6:24am:
Hafa Adai,

Sling golf is on the verge of becoming somehting on Guam. We are in the middle of a slinging revival and restoring slinging as sport. (the early Spanish explorers wrote of frequent slinging and spear throwing competitions here in the 1500's) and the localgolf community has been curious and kind enougfh to allow us legitimate access into 3 golf courses as of now. If anyone is serious in playing a full 18 holes against other slingers, we are hosting a Slign Golf Competition here in Guam in 2021. Im new to golf completely but slingign for 10 years. For the most part us sligngers have been right at pace with the golfers. just have to work our short game

I would enjoy participating and will start planning for this.

Our son is an avid golfer and I have payed sling golf along side of his while he golfs.  His suggestion is to use a putter once you are on the green.  I use a long putter for sling golf, which doubles as a walking stick.

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #24 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 7:59am

I think a hole is not ideal for the end of the course, rather more something like a target diane. Maybe a square with net on it, to be put on top of the stick in the hole, instead of the flag... What do you think?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #25 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 9:58am

I've heard it suggested that a frisbee golf "hole" would work well. There's a frisbee golf course really close by our place but it's incredibly popular so I've not wanted to go and accidently hit someone. Even with a tennis ball I wouldn't be making any friends.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Banshee
Tiro

Greek overhand.

Reply #26 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 1:59pm

We sling lacrosse balls at Patty Jewett golf course in Colorado Springs. On a par 5, we get birdies. Solo play, generally cast the ball to the green, then bowl with the nondominant hand.  Three person teams, one person drives down the fairway, the clock starts! The other two people start running, one to follow the shot to the fairway, one to the green to receive the relay shot! Play continues in order.

fill the pouch, empty your mind.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #27 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 9:29pm

Not sling golf per se, but I have a story involving disc golf and slinging.  This weekend a handful of friends and I went on a short road trip to hit up a disc golf course and a brewery.  I took a sling along, and intermittently throughout the day I was picking up random things from the ground and giving them a toss.

On one hole I had already thrown my disc and started spinning a big seed (or something, not sure what exactly it was) I had picked up.  One of the other guys was getting ready to throw, and another friend said, "If you can knock his disc out of the air I'll give you a hundred bucks."  Obviously I accepted the challenge.  The guy throwing let his disc fly, I gave my sling a couple quick rotations and let that seed go a couple seconds later.

I wish I could say I knocked that disc out of the air, but I wasn't even close.  Smiley

In the end I did show a sling in use to a few people who hadn't seen one before.  And the battle between disc and sling gave everyone a few moments of entertainment followed by a laugh.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus)