Send Topic Print
Sling Golf (Read 8808 times)
williams2150
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Santa Cruz, CA  USA
Sling Golf
Aug 29th, 2017 at 9:30pm

I am curious as to how many people are playing sling golf. More and more golf courses are allowing frisbee golf, fling golf and soccer golf in our area. These are a couple of my youtubes from way back when:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC3Ct-e2XbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3-IM-CSVmE

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Sling Golf
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 7:13am

well the best sling golf progression recently is on Guam.

Roman has got several of the local golf courses allowing sling golf.
Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Loki
Descens

One with the sling I am

Clovis, Ca.
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 11:46pm

And I hear the sling golf equipment also comes in alligator skin doesn't it?

Loki  
IP Logged

EggOfAwesome
Novicius

ค็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
็็็็็็็็็็

Canada
Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 5:43pm

That's an interesting idea! I doubt the golf course near me would allow it though...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 6:22am

well the thing to do would be to do a demo on the driving range to prove that you are at least as safe as a golfer.

Most golf courses in the uk are private member only. But we do have a public driving range in swadlincote, keep meaning to pop dow there and ask - just always seem to have something else to do Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 6:57pm

I play occasionally with a couple friends actually.  I use Frisbee golf courses and throw tennis balls or the spongy, but heavy, foam rubber balls you can get at the dollar store.  We call it a score when you hit the Frisbee golf target.  Lots of fun.  Also, there is CHOT.

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 8:34pm

I played w/ a golf ball at a disc golf course. I spoke w/ the pro at a beginner's course and received permission to use the driving range w/ a sling. I think it depends on the course, how crowded it is, etc.

I am way more accurate w/ a sling than I am w/ a golf club.

IP Logged

Sling Moustachio
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Western WA, U.S.
Reply #7 - May 10th, 2018 at 4:40pm

I've been looking for a good way to do that myself.  We have several disc/Frisbee golf courses here in our area, but finding a suitable, safe ammo for a crowded course has been a bit of a challenge. To try to get the range I'm looking for safely, my current theory is to make some kind of overstuffed hacky sack/footbag to try to get up to about 2-3 ounces, and then just aim for the basket.

For the more traditional golf route, I did play one hole when I was golfing with some friends and it worked pretty well.  Rather than using a net or something for the 'cup', I just used a short (like, 10" when holding a ball) sling as a putter and threw underhand at the pin.  With a sling that short, I can drop a golfball inside a roll of duct tape from 10 feet away.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2018 at 1:29pm

For the frisbee courses, use a tennis ball with a couple of slits cut in them.  They pretty much stop when the land.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - May 12th, 2018 at 11:57am

sock ball Smiley

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 11:50am

Report from a Golf Course:

My son (a golf club professional) and I are at the Dismal River Club in Mullen, NE. Despite being the father of a golf professional, I have never been able to master even the fundamentals (the skill seems to skip generations as my father was a golfer). I am able to sling a golfball with sufficient accuracy on the driving range and on the course. However, my lack of distance remains a major obstacle.

I am permitted to sling golfballs on the driving range after the golfers go out for their morning rounds and my son and I go out on the course late afternoon, when everyone else is done. I launched so many golfballs yesterday that I am taking a rest day. The yardages are marked and my son has a range-finder, so I can be both accurate and honest.

I throw side-armed. It is a lot of fun to watch the golfball fly into the air.  I can consistently throw between 80 and 100 yards, depending.  If I "let the sling do the work" and throw at about 80% of maximum effort, the ball will travel 70 to 80 yards in the air. At 100% effort, I can throw 90 to 100 yards.

At this point, I am looking for any and all advice on increasing my distance. My goal is 150 yards.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 2:51pm

I was slinging golf balls with my new sling yesterday. Couple things I watch for are correct spin, also proper lag angle on the sling.

More lag = less leverage at moment of pulling(which is *good*)= more resistance to the pull= which allows you to pull harder into the throw= faster unhinging of the sling and longer powerstroke= faster release velocity.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 5:41pm

Morphy wrote on Jun 27th, 2018 at 2:51pm:
More lag = less leverage at moment of pulling(which is *good*)= more resistance to the pull= which allows you to pull harder into the throw= faster unhinging of the sling and longer powerstroke= faster release velocity.

hmmm, i don't really get it.
how different does it feel than normal slinging?

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #13 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 5:54pm

What Sarosh said - I do not even remotely understand Morphy's post. Would it be possible for you to explain this to a neophyte. Thank you!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 7:28pm

https://youtu.be/r5_ydLS4Tvg

^This is David Morningstar video on Comanche style which is basically the figure-8.

Watch as the sling goes up and behind his back as is normal in the figure 8.

At this point he pulls into the throw. That's the beginning of the pitch. The previous portion is the wind up.

Notice how the sling lags behind the hand. It creates a lag angle.

And ideal lag angle creates less leverage causing the slinger to be able to pull against the weight of the projectile harder because there is less leverage at the moment of pulling.

This harder pull causes the sling to accelerate faster and more efficiently.  A similar concept occurs with recurve bows. The tip is bent away from the direction of pull causing less leverage which stores more energy in the bows limbs.

The sling doesn't store energy though, therefore the effect of pulling harder into the throw is seen immediately by the sling accelerating faster towards the release.

Hope that makes sense.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, LightSlinger, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)