Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Hunting glandes (wanted) (Read 14092 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Hunting glandes (wanted)
Aug 29th, 2017 at 4:56pm

I'm looking for some decent glandes too keep in my kit to take with me when I go bush.
Got permission to hunt on a friends farm and wanting some good ammo for the task

Ideally:
1 bipoint
2 metal ( steel lead tungsten )
3 around 75-150g

Point me in the right direction

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Hunting glandes (wanted)
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 6:03pm

Egg shaped lead fishing weights, the ones with the hole through the middle.  In your choice of weights.

Most of the guys that make glandes will sell you one or two, after that, the shipping gets to be really expensive.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 7:19pm

Yeah fishing weights are what I have used before but I'm not convinced on the shapes I've found locally. Either too small and a good shape or wrong shape and good weight. Was looking for something a little nicer.

Also lead is not overly durable.
Was hoping there might be a better option out there.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 7:18am

clay Smiley
was what our ancestors used.
cheap, easy to use and make and I know a guy who makes moulds in any size and shape you like Smiley

I know americans who hunt have a tendency to ignore animal welfare. But bear in mind that you are far more likely to injure an animal than kill it outright.
So try and humanely dispatch anything you maim. 

Hunting is NOT a game. Don't treat it like one.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 8:48am

Mersa heres my poor man's solution.

Go to your local hardware store and buy 2.5 to 3 inch long bolts or large nails. Thickest you can buy. Thats your core. You will need a metal file as well. Sharpen the threaded end (if a bolt) to a sharp point with the file. If you have a belt sander, even better. Then wrap something around the body of the bolt or nail to build up the glande shape and impregnate it with jb weld. Make sure you smooth it well before it sets because its a pain to sand down. You can use wire wrapping or really anything you have on hand, but the denser the better.

One side will be very sharp for larger critters, the other will be blunt for birds and such. Fairly cheap, tough as nails etc. It will get the job done. Just make sure the body is as smooth as possible.

Lastly take some reflective tape and wrap it around the glande keeping it as smooth as possible. If you lose a glande and its not buried completely in the ground you can come back at dusk with a flash light and shine it in the area. The glande will shine like a light and be fairly easy to find.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 5:27pm

Thanks guys 
And don't worry CA I'm not going out trying to hurt things with the sling.
Sling will be only aimed at feral rabbits at best I suspect.
And I'm hoping hits are quick or recoverable kills.
Hense my trying to stock up on suitable ammo.

Clay seems like a nice option for lots of ammo.
Sharp bolts have interesting impact quality.
And fishing weights have the best density

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:05am

This Topic was moved here from Market Place by Curious Aardvark.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 5:29pm

So I had a bit of luck yesterday at the hardware store and walked past the plumb bobs. I purchased a 150g weight and had a go at a empty field to try it out unfortunately it's penetration was too good and it is now lost buried somewhere in the field. Need a metal detector I think.
Anyway I went and purchased another to my dismay.
Now I'm thinking of joining 2 together to try make a bipoint.
This will weigh over 300g
Too much??
150 feels heavy 300 might be injury prone.

Let us know what you think

Good cheap ready availability

Standard and with extra bolt bearing combo.

image_041.jpeg (103 KB | 114 )
image_041.jpeg
image_042.jpeg (106 KB | 93 )
image_042.jpeg
image_043.jpeg (108 KB | 110 )
image_043.jpeg

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 5:42pm

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 9:20pm

10 ounces would certainly leave a pretty big hole in any rabbit. I suspect you will be losing a good deal of any ammo you use unless you are a very, very good shot. With the exception of stones, concrete, clay etc cost will be an important consideration.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 10:45pm

Totally agree. I need to make a lead mould. Will be the best and most economical of the metals. I like the durability or steel.
Got to test out the damage this does today. Think it's gonna be good enough. Pointy or blunt end.
10oz too much???

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:19pm

Either end will kill it. Assuming you are slinging it around 30 m/s or faster it will never know what hit it. The kill may not be instant but thats true with bows and .22s as well. Come to think of it, I would choose that set up over my typical small game bow.

Be ready with a hardwood club to run up and finish it off if necessary. If you are slinging a 10 oz. glande at least 30 m/s it would be like you being hit by a basketball sized boulder thrown by a major league pitcher.  So, as far as KE goes, no worries. Just put the shot where it needs to go.

Edit: Not too much unless you are slinging extremely fast. You dont want to rupture the bladder. I dont think you could go wrong with 5-6 oz. But 10 will work.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:42pm

Yeah great advice, I have a club I use for splitting wood with my knife. Should be perfect.
Unfortunately I don't know what speeds I'm getting. I had estimated throws between 30 and 45m/s with iPhone footage but recently discovered about the shutter roll so my estimated speeds are invalid. Thrown over 110m measured and from what I can tell this requires some m/s so hope I'm getting atleast 30m/s
Punches holes straight through chip board. Leaves big dents in steel.
And as far as accuracy goes I'd say I'm better with my bow but as you said the sling setup seems very suitable to rabbits.
For this reason it will be my second choice in weapons but probably what I'll prefer to use (fun/ satisfaction). situations pending.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 5:19am

the thing you bought would make a nice meteor hammer.

never hunted before but i think stones would be enough for small game ,  skill and lead maybe are enough for a boar

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 6:48am

It's interesting revising the damage that different ammo does on my targets but the increase in penetration of lead on softer materials is evident. Steel being harder packs better penetration on harder stuff.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)