johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Re: Online challenge
Reply #75 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 5:38am

IronGoober wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 12:44am:
In favor of consistent ammo may not matter, I present this evidence.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALzA79BLWc

he was accurate but not consistent. in that particular vid...

edit: rain may have rushed him to make those hits Tongue
i 've been watching his vids and he is very good.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #76 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 7:40am

This thread just got very interesting. I can't post much at the moment but will later today.  Thanks for posting that IG.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #77 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 8:37am

He's good but I bet he would be even better with a bag of equally weighted and shaped glandes or spheres.
Also both target and projectile are quite a good size, smaller they are the harder it gets.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #78 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:25pm

I know back when I was using a standard Balearics bullseye which is something like a 19 inch diameter circle it looked really tiny on video to the point that I started zooming in the video. That was at 25 yards.
He's also visible in the shot meaning the camera is further back than it would be otherwise.

I can't really say what size his target is. It could be smaller and he might be closer but if I had to throw out a random guess I would say it's around 15 inches in diameter and hes maybe 15-20 meters away, max. Maybe closer. 

Not to take anything away from his slinging. He's obviously spent a lot of time practicing. It's just if we are discussing this topic of what part good ammo plays we have to go into it with a definition of what constitutes "good slinging".

The other part of it is the size of the stones and the speed he's slinging them at. Larger and slower moving stones are much more forgiving. Less planing, slightly off kilter spin is less a factor and of course the slower you release, theoretically the longer release window you have to hit your target. Lots of things we could discuss on this topic.

I would like to see how it does on smaller targets further away. I don't think we can see a big difference unless we extend the difficulty level out to a further range. You need to be closer to the physical limitations of the weapon/human body.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #79 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 5:40pm

@
Morphy

i don't exactly understand your point. he hit 2/5 a balearic bullseye 20-30m.
Morphy wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:25pm:
definition of what constitutes "good slinging".

there is no definition to that.   if i get one hit at a 10cm target from 10m i forget about the previous 100 misses...
maybe something similar may have happened with all those extraordinary historical accounts.

from the comment section of the above video using google translate:
Quote:
-Round stones fly better?
-Needless to say. Stones tempered by nature fit better into the pocket of the sling. It is good in it with the promotion and departure, the superfluous will not hook. There are no such pebbles in my region. Making shells for sling, this is a passed stage. But if you carefully select the stones, they pretty, relatively accurately fall on the target. In a square 120x120cm with ≈20m, you can put five out of five.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #80 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 8:49pm

johan wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 5:40pm:
@
Morphy

i don't exactly understand your point. he hit 2/5 a balearic bullseye 20-30m.
Morphy wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:25pm:
definition of what constitutes "good slinging".

there is no definition to that.   if i get one hit at a 10cm target from 10m i forget about the previous 100 misses...
maybe something similar may have happened with all those extraordinary historical accounts.

from the comment section of the above video using google translate:
Quote:
-Round stones fly better?
-Needless to say. Stones tempered by nature fit better into the pocket of the sling. It is good in it with the promotion and departure, the superfluous will not hook. There are no such pebbles in my region. Making shells for sling, this is a passed stage. But if you carefully select the stones, they pretty, relatively accurately fall on the target. In a square 120x120cm with ≈20m, you can put five out of five.

True. But I would like to see us define it. I already have my own definitions of what constitutes amature, journeyman, expert, master and grandmaster but I doubt people will accept it as they may see it as too difficult or even impossible to accomplish.

I wish I could translate exactly what this fellow is saying. I can't tell if he's saying if the stones are good they consistently will hit 5 out of 5 or if he selects deformed stones but chooses the kind of jagged, deformed stones he prefers, then they will hit 5 out of 5.

Either way it's sort of a moot point. I would not suggest anyone come to a conclusion on whether perfect ammo vs decent ammo vs deformed/jagged ammo makes a difference by slinging at a 120cm square from 20 meters away.  That is far too big a target and much too close to come to a conclusion on it.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #81 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:27pm

Got to have a walk in the forest this morning with my girlfriend. Was lucky enough that she filmed a few throws.
Here's a hit on a 12oz coffee cup from around 10m .
One of those days too , average ammo (rocks slightly smooth).
Good grouping and a solid hit in less than 20 throws. Good day for bad ammo.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #82 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:43pm

Morphy wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 8:49pm:
Either way it's sort of a moot point. I would not suggest anyone come to a conclusion on whether perfect ammo vs decent ammo vs deformed/jagged ammo makes a difference by slinging at a 120cm square from 20 meters away.  That is far too big a target and much too close to come to a conclusion on it.

I think I agree with you that crappy ammunition doesn't make much of a difference from close distances (which I'm inferring that was your point).  But most of my slinging, and if I were hunting small game, is (and would be) from about 20 yards away and under.  So, for the these purposes, I don't think that having crappy or consistent ammo will make much of a difference, if one has sufficient skill/practice.

That being said, weight and shape are two different things.  I'm talking mostly about the geometry, not the weight. I usually try to get similarly sized stones when just picking stuff up off of the ground (similar weight).

Also, on the size of that guy's target. I'm pretty sure that everything he is using is a standard "Diana" (if I'm referring to it correctly still), or 50cm in diameter. He shows it with a measuring tape a few times in a few of his videos.

John R.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #83 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 2:30am

everyone who uses less than decent ammo does it out of necessity. for target practice up to ~30m the error from the stones is usually small, skill and coordination play a much bigger role they are the base. Without that base anything else is impossible, so until i get 50% or more hits at a 10-50cm circle@30m it seems a little pointless for me to throw @longer distances for accuracy( but i still do it once in a while so i can find some little flight details i ignored on the 30m target practice)
--for most of us faults and inconsistencies are still big enough that they are obvious @30m range....

Morphy wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 8:49pm:
my own definitions of what constitutes amature, journeyman, expert, master and grandmaster

no problem to know more about it Wink

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #84 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 3:13am

Mersa wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:27pm:
Got to have a walk in the forest this morning with my girlfriend. Was lucky enough that she filmed a few throws.

It's hard to see that cup. Nice shot!

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #85 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 10:26am

Mersa wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:27pm:

I love these videos you post because trees and nature is my life. What beautiful scenery that is. And the slinging is great as well. So as an arborist do you spend a lot of time out in the forest? I always imagined they did more residential and commercial work.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #86 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 11:42am

I have done it all from millionaires backyards to protected forests , I am the voice of the trees. But yeah the bush doesn't pay as well as the places with money but sometimes it's not about the money and about the trees .

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #87 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 5:25am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bFQYNfJqqY
staff sling and beer cans @~4:21

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #88 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 8:58am

That had a lot better slinging in it than I was expecting. Good to see. Annoyingly, one of the few things I'm not able to take with me to the summer cottage this time is my staff sling which still needs some proper testing. Have to wait for better weather to come around before I can get to the spot I've been using as my range.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #89 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 3:48pm

stone shape is irrelevant...proper ammo placement solves that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 48
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, LightSlinger, Rat Man)