Online challenge (Read 94514 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Online challenge
Reply #525 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 10:46pm

If there is a prize, that suggests a winner. How would a winner be determined?

Also, I'd be willing to put up one of DangerGoods.com's portable targets. In the spirit of continuing challenges (but that hopefully don't necessarily require stones) and supporting someone that is trying to grow slinging.

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #526 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 11:09pm

I think a new thread could be good. I really want to get a good sized pumpkin this year. Most years I go for a smaller cheaper one but they are always much harder as well so I never get a good hit on them.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #527 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 12:39am

Just brainstorming.

Perhaps each entry gets a vote and we can’t vote for ourselves? Have a date the video needs to be uploaded by?
Some non competitor judges?. Just some thoughts.

As for the challenge, just hit a pumpkin, any hit or clip is an entry

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #528 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 8:06am

Obviously we want it to resemble something fair, and the best way to do that is to establish criteria before the contest starts. In the unlikely event of a dispute though, the person putting up the prize should have the deciding vote.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #529 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 8:10am

I don't have pumpkins available yet at the store.  But as long as we have a good bit of time, I think an announcement can be made now.  This should definitely be the next challenge we do.

IronGoober wrote on Sep 1st, 2020 at 10:46pm:
How would a winner be determined?

I think that part is easy.  Once we have all entries in the topic, we just add a poll to it.  Anyone can vote for any of the entries.  So we could set a cutoff date by which entries must be posted.  And then have the poll up for a week or two.  Any thoughts on that idea?

IronGoober wrote on Sep 1st, 2020 at 10:46pm:
I'd be willing to put up one of DangerGoods.com's portable targets.

That's an amazing prize!  Very generous of you IG! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #530 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 8:13am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 2nd, 2020 at 8:06am:
Obviously we want it to resemble something fair, and the best way to do that is to establish criteria before the contest starts.

I think a minimum distance is all we really need.  With things like this I've usually tried to be at least 40 feet (12.2 m) from the target.  But we can back that up a little if everyone is in favor.  Or shorten it for that matter.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #531 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 8:30am

If one of the goals is to attract new slingers to the community, then there should be bonus points for entertainment value, and the videos should be posted on YouTube for maximum exposure.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #532 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 8:40am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Sep 2nd, 2020 at 8:13am:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 2nd, 2020 at 8:06am:
Obviously we want it to resemble something fair, and the best way to do that is to establish criteria before the contest starts.

I think a minimum distance is all we really need.  With things like this I've usually tried to be at least 40 feet (12.2 m) from the target.  But we can back that up a little if everyone is in favor.  Or shorten it for that matter.

40’ would disqualify me. I can’t eek out more than maybe 35’ in my backyard, and going somewhere else to film is not practical for me right now, but then again... I haven’t participated in this yet anyway Smiley

Maybe put a size restriction on pumpkins for short range? Or... unless there is a limit to how many shots you can take, this isn’t really an accuracy contest, so why limit it at all?  If the goal is entertainment value, then range doesn’t matter. If the goal is to demonstrate skill, you could use a smaller pumpkin at short range and it would still be a challenge, but restricting shot counts is unenforceable, so any shot (near or far) might just be a demonstration of luck.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #533 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 8:45am

I like the vote idea. The criteria for how to win isn’t as clear, because each vote is based on different opinions, but it’s as good as any other system.

@IG... that’s a very generous offer. That prize really ups the stakes!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #534 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 8:52am

Will staff slings be allowed? Not that I'm asking for any particular reason... Wink

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #535 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 9:37am

I'm kind of leaning toward Mersa's description, "just hit a pumpkin, any hit or clip is an entry".

I think the more complex we make it, the less likely we are to pull in another participant or two.

Kick wrote on Sep 2nd, 2020 at 8:52am:
Will staff slings be allowed? Not that I'm asking for any particular reason... Wink

You're no doubt asking for a friend. Wink
I personally don't have any objection to that.  Although with a staff sling, that better be a big rock, and you better smash that thing! Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #536 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 10:07am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Sep 2nd, 2020 at 9:37am:
Although with a staff sling, that better be a big rock, and you better smash that thing!

I think I can arrange that...

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #537 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 1:03pm

Ok... my predictions:

Joe Meadmaker is going to crush a pumpkin with a block of ice
Mersa’s pumpkin will be experiencing a freefall when it suddenly collides with a rock in mid-air.
Kick’s going big... both pumpkin and boulder-glandes

Everyone else is a wildcard Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #538 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 1:57pm

The most difficult part about the target as a prize is getting it shipped outside the US if it were necessary.

I am with NOC, I think entertainment value should be the deciding factor, just so more entries can be possible. I don't care how the winner would be decided though, polling is fine with me.

I agree it should be simple for entry, include a slinging aspect and a pumpkin, the rest is up to the person posting the video.

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #539 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 4:41pm

I think we’ve got the criteria.

Pumpkin challenge:
Must use a sling (staff slings and alike are accepted)
Must hit a pumpkin
The distance and difficulty are open
Trick shots and creative ideas are welcomed
Winner determined by poll or votes
Submission prior to Halloween??

Are we ready to start a new thread to try rally some troops

By the way I found out pumpkins float last year, that is all I’ll say  Grin

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 48
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, LightSlinger, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)