...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Online challenge
Reply #495 - Aug 20th, 2020 at 10:22am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Aug 20th, 2020 at 10:12am:
Great slinging man!

And nice shirt. Thumbs Up

I thought you'd like that shirt. I think it might be the same color as your's... you have impeccable taste.

John R.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #496 - Aug 20th, 2020 at 10:25am

Mersa wrote on Aug 19th, 2020 at 2:32am:
Nail challenge is hard, failed on my first attempt but was good to learn, definitely want a completely different set up and big rocks.

Tryed 3 different setups but wasn’t happy with any and filming wasn’t ideal. Got some clips of close calls and fails

I love that you left little chunks of the sling stone on the bigger rock. And yeah, definitely enough power to drive the nail, going with a shorter nail is the way to go.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2020 at 12:44pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #497 - Aug 21st, 2020 at 3:11am

Ok I’m gonna get this , it’s a challenge just to try get it on film and ever setup has it’s downfalls so far. I think I really need big rocks just to even some odds . Lots of close hits and still no nail. Camera batteries don’t help either.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #498 - Aug 21st, 2020 at 9:28am

Real close shots!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #499 - Aug 21st, 2020 at 10:22am

I like your idea with the log Mersa.  I might try that if my next attempt fails.

I got my rocks painted so I don't lose them.  I'm planning another attempt tomorrow.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #500 - Aug 21st, 2020 at 11:40am

Mersa wrote on Aug 21st, 2020 at 3:11am:
Ok I’m gonna get this , it’s a challenge just to try get it on film and ever setup has it’s downfalls so far. I think I really need big rocks just to even some odds . Lots of close hits and still no nail. Camera batteries don’t help either.

Oooh, so close! Good attempt.

I just used my phone to film. I didn't have a tripod, I screwed a 1x2 (1.9cm x 3.8 cm) board to a 1 x 12 and then just used a rubber band or string to keep the the phone in place on the upright 1x2. That has been my filming setup for all my recent slinging videos. It works surprisingly well. You could also just take a board like a 1x2 with a sharpened end and hammer it into the ground, then rubber-band the camera onto it or tie it on with string.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2020 at 2:24am by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #501 - Aug 23rd, 2020 at 9:52pm

No spoilers from me here.

Attempt number 2: https://youtu.be/ibcacvvfRfQ

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #502 - Aug 23rd, 2020 at 11:19pm

NOICE!  Great hit! and so many cl-ooo-ose ones!

Those rocks were no-nonsense! The wedge was a good idea to brace it to make sure it drove in properly. Frame that stone!

On a related note, I challenged PracticalParacord to this challenge, and he had a great entry. I won't post it since it isn't my video, but you can find it on his YouTube channel.

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #503 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 1:03am

Great stuff joe, I’ll be trying to get my final attempt in this week and hopefully can get it done , definitely a hard challenge

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #504 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 2:13am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Aug 23rd, 2020 at 9:52pm:
No spoilers from me here.

Attempt number 2: https://youtu.be/ibcacvvfRfQ

That is definitely a good looking shirt there Joe Grin
Nice slinging too!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #505 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 2:16am

All these great entries... I guess I need to figure out a backstop for rocks so I can make a more serious attempt at the challenge.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #506 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 8:38am

Awesome Joe! I really want to have a proper go at it without the instant failure. The problem is that this is my only day off for a while and the weather keeps going from gorgeous sunshine to complete downpour. I can't risk the camera so I think I'll have to put my attempt off for a while longer.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #507 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 2:11pm

Thanks guy!  This one is a tough one.  I love the additional interest in this challenge.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #508 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 2:27pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Aug 24th, 2020 at 2:16am:
All these great entries... I guess I need to figure out a backstop for rocks so I can make a more serious attempt at the challenge.

3/4" plywood works well, but if you need something bigger...
http://www.justfornets.com/high-impact-golf-nets/

John R.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #509 - Aug 28th, 2020 at 1:07am

Wooooohooooooo
That was a challenge.
I must have hit everywhere but the nail in this challenge. I had a hard time with this. Originally I was throwing from aprrox 12m but finally got lucky and got a good hit on film at 5-6m. A close distance shot for sure but it’s a pretty good clip so I’m submitting this as my final attempt.
Despite the fact that it was so close I’m pretty happy with the outcome. It almost destroyed my phone but I got a good slowmo clip and drove the nail in good.
After I got the hit I celebrated with all my remaining nails put close together and just went for it.
Hope you all enjoy!!!

V
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2020 at 7:11am by Mersa »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 48
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, LightSlinger, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)