IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Online challenge
Reply #465 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 3:20pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Aug 14th, 2020 at 2:26pm:
I hit the nail, but ultimately failed.  There was a surprising result from this challenge.  Here's take #1:

https://youtu.be/lGAZbsjd4bo

I am confused by this result. What are those made from? Punching into cardboard shouldn't be that difficult... er.. provide that much resistance. I'm confused how they broke unless they are very fragile or brittle to begin with.

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #466 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 4:01pm

Kick wrote on Aug 14th, 2020 at 2:48pm:
Stones man! You gotta go with stones.

I humbly take my scolding. Embarrassed

The next time I'll be properly equipped!

IronGoober wrote on Aug 14th, 2020 at 3:20pm:
I am confused by this result. What are those made from? Punching into cardboard shouldn't be that difficult... er.. provide that much resistance. I'm confused how they broke unless they are very fragile or brittle to begin with.

They're some kind of plastic.  I was also surprised that they broke.  And also that the nail wasn't hammered in.  With the silicone, the street hockey ball weight is 120-130 grams.  I thought that would be enough.  But the glue between the pieces of cardboard must have strengthened that pretty significantly.

I do wish I had a high frame rate camera to see exactly what was happening.

I like this though.  Now it's not just a challenge of accuracy, but also hitting it hard enough.  I'm looking forward to the next round.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #467 - Aug 14th, 2020 at 6:56pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Aug 14th, 2020 at 2:26pm:
I hit the nail, but ultimately failed.  There was a surprising result from this challenge.  Here's take #1:

https://youtu.be/lGAZbsjd4bo

Nicely done Joe!  Welcome to the nail challenge, and impressive shooting on that tiny target!  If you’re going to fail, then hitting the target repeatedly but having the ammo fail is a great way to do it Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #468 - Aug 15th, 2020 at 6:51pm

Nice man that’s a tiny target. How heavy is that bag target? Is it strong enough to resist the impact from a stone and drive the nail in? I’m surprised a street hockey ball broke so easily! You would think they could take a beating. Oh well, if it means another vid I’m not complaining!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #469 - Aug 16th, 2020 at 11:05am

Morphy wrote on Aug 15th, 2020 at 6:51pm:
Nice man that’s a tiny target. How heavy is that bag target? Is it strong enough to resist the impact from a stone and drive the nail in? I’m surprised a street hockey ball broke so easily! You would think they could take a beating. Oh well, if it means another vid I’m not complaining!

That's a good point Morphy.  I didn't think about the weight of the entire setup.  I weighed my archery target and it's 32.8 lb.  I think that should be enough.  We'll see on the next round.  I'm hoping to try again tomorrow or the next day.

And I did a closer examination of the street hockey balls, and think I see something that contributed to the damage they took.  When I filled them up with silicone, there were gaps where the silicone didn't reach.  So certain areas on the surface of the ball had to deal with the addition impact (because the weight of the ball was much higher), but didn't have the silicone behind the plastic for additional strength.  Both of the balls broke in an area that had a gap in the silicone.  This is visible for the second broken ball in the video.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #470 - Aug 16th, 2020 at 3:28pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Aug 16th, 2020 at 11:05am:

That's a good point Morphy.  I didn't think about the weight of the entire setup.  I weighed my archery target and it's 32.8 lb.  I think that should be enough.  We'll see on the next round.  I'm hoping to try again tomorrow or the next day.

And I did a closer examination of the street hockey balls, and think I see something that contributed to the damage they took.  When I filled them up with silicone, there were gaps where the silicone didn't reach.  So certain areas on the surface of the ball had to deal with the addition impact (because the weight of the ball was much higher), but didn't have the silicone behind the plastic for additional strength.  Both of the balls broke in an area that had a gap in the silicone.  This is visible for the second broken ball in the video.

I tried injecting silicone caulking into a small dog tennis ball to give it more weight and make it stronger. To my knowledge it’s never actually hardened. I would love someone to sell thick, 2-3 ounce  small ammo that’s suitable for gym walls and such. I’ve been looking for something like that but haven’t had much luck.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #471 - Aug 16th, 2020 at 4:07pm

Morphy wrote on Aug 16th, 2020 at 3:28pm:
joe_meadmaker wrote on Aug 16th, 2020 at 11:05am:

I tried injecting silicone caulking into a small dog tennis ball to give it more weight and make it stronger. To my knowledge it’s never actually hardened. I would love someone to sell thick, 2-3 ounce  small ammo that’s suitable for gym walls and such. I’ve been looking for something like that but haven’t had much luck.

I've been using lacrosse balls and hoping they catch on. They are heavy (~143g), but solid rubber, so they are pretty durable. Sling them against a hard backstop and you might wish you hadn't though, I was just throwing them and the bounce back was severe, hurt to catch. There is a hacky-sack like version that I used in my recent videos that are the same weight and size, but don't bounce. They are meant for indoor lacrosse practice.

Actually, recently, I've been doing a lot of practice at 25 yards using a balearic circle for a target and I switched to rusty balls. They work way better than what I thought. I am throwing at >80 mph against a wooden backstop and they just keep taking the beating. I've had to replace the outer balloon on some after about a month of slinging everyday.

Joe, I really think Kick is right though, gotta go with rocks. You just need to find something to stop the rocks, or paint them so you can find them later.  I was going to try to get to the challenge this weekend, but it's been 105 F outside everyday and isn't getting below 80 at night, so I've been lying low. It's also uncharacteristically humid...

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #472 - Aug 16th, 2020 at 6:46pm

IronGoober wrote on Aug 16th, 2020 at 4:07pm:
or paint them so you can find them later

This is exactly the thought that I had.  I think I still have the orange paint I used to paint the washers for the coin challenge.  I hope it hasn't dried up.  I'll find out as soon as I find some good rocks.

I know what you mean about the weather.  When I was recording the nail challenge the temperature wasn't too bad, but it was soooo humid.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #473 - Aug 16th, 2020 at 11:39pm

I actually went and bought a net for catching stones, but haven't set it up yet. It is built for catching golf drives. It should hold up well for missed shots, if I have another target to take the main brunt of the shots.  It was sort of expensive, but I don't mind since this is one of my major hobbies.  I ordered it from "Just for nets". Amazon has a few of them ready to order, but I went to their main website to get a thicker cord, 3mm I think, and 0.75" spacing between knots.

With all of the space that you have, I think it would work well. You could just hang in on your swing-thingy. You certainly wouldn't need to worry about losing stones then.  You can also put a baseball pitching mat in front of it, or just a standard balearic target. Eventually, I will find a better way to hang my net and do something similar (it's 10' x 10').

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #474 - Aug 17th, 2020 at 3:27am

Well I completely failed the nail challenge. I set it all up with a wooden board wedged into the log I use to hold up targets, nail part way hammered in. I did two practice helicopter throws, missed both and realised I needed to turn the whole thing around or lose all my stones to the long grass, got it set up again, started recording, threw one stone with fig 8, hit way low and catapulted the nail... somewhere.

Nail now lost, I decided to take it out on the wooden board. I took 6 stones with me and came back with one. All the rest went to the long grass on the other side of the practice area. I now remember why late summer sucks so much at my slinging spot.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #475 - Aug 17th, 2020 at 8:30am

A simple pvc frame fillled with sand should be good enough to hold a backstop if you don’t want to dig holes.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #476 - Aug 17th, 2020 at 11:12am

Sorry to hear things didn't go well Kick.  Getting everything set up just to make this challenge possible is pretty tough.  Then a perfect hit is still needed.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #477 - Aug 17th, 2020 at 1:41pm

Good hits Joe!
Could always fill the balls with ice, which would certainly drive a nail in!
Will have to get around to the nail challenge myself. 
Attempted the 10 feet step back challenge the other day with my 22" sling, and got to 120ft around the 45 minute mark where I just stopped. More practice is in order, as my 15" is still a lot more accurate even at that distance...

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #478 - Aug 17th, 2020 at 2:18pm

Lost ammo, the bane of every target slinger. Hence the reason a backstop is the hidden 4th component of slinging. Sling, slinger, ammo, backstop. Or do like I did and convince your young child your ammo is dinosaur eggs and let them gather them for you to prevent Jurassic Park from coming true.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #479 - Aug 17th, 2020 at 3:04pm

Morphy wrote on Aug 17th, 2020 at 2:18pm:
Lost ammo, the bane of every target slinger. Hence the reason a backstop is the hidden 4th component of slinging. Sling, slinger, ammo, backstop. Or do like I did and convince your young child your ammo is dinosaur eggs and let them gather them for you to prevent Jurassic Park from coming true.

I tried that, but my kids started hiding all my ammo in the weeds because they wanted to see the dinosaurs.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 48
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, LightSlinger, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris)