Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 48
Send Topic Print
Online challenge (Read 94480 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Online challenge
Reply #330 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 5:55am

Some really close shots there. Great video!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #331 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 3:09pm

Thanks man!  I think on my next attempt I'm going to get a little more selective with the coin tosses.  On the first round I took a shot no matter where the washer went.  Toward the end I was getting pretty consistent in the area I was throwing them, but still not perfect.  The next time I try this, if a toss isn't right where I want it, I think I'll let it go.  That should give me more higher percentage chances.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #332 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 4:36am

Great work joe, I’m waiting for a day where I got some clear blue sky, I have my ammo sorted(a pile of super light plastic balls) that way I should have consistent ammo and be able to attempt this at a public park. Gonna be a hard shot , feeling like it’s gonna beat me this challenge.

Jaegoor raised the bar again, William tell, and with an actual person, I could attempt it on a manikin no problem but a person would give me target panic for sure.

Just got back from a 3 day camping/hunting trip, I’m quite happy with my social distancing. Now back to slinging.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #333 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 8:10am

Sounds good.  I've got everything set for a second attempt at that coin today.  It's supposed to be sunny and mild, so should be perfect.

Yeah, Jaegoor definitely got the ideas stirring.  I've been trying to think of a good way to set up an arrow and sling apples at it.  But to have the apple protected in the event of a miss (because there will be a lot of them Smiley).  I was thinking about some kind of a netting around it.  Not sure though.  That's a ways off anyway.  Still need to get that coin hit, then a nail.

Your trip sounds pretty awesome.  I've just been staying at home and keeping the cat company.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #334 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 8:52pm

Second attempt trying to hit a coin (metal washer) out of the air.

https://youtu.be/Liy4zlDBFZw

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #335 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 10:00pm

Yeah boy!!!!
That’s awesome!!
Great slinging, I’m going to have to get out there soon!
Those hits looked awesome!!
Great job on challenges so far!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #336 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 2:53am

Awesome! Great stuff!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #337 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 10:12am

Thanks guys!  That was a really fun slinging session.  Although that's usually the case when you're getting some good hits.

When I did my first session, I was a little hungover.  Maybe that's why it didn't go as well Roll Eyes.  It may have also been the familiarity of having done it once.  In the second go at it, my throws were just so much better.  Not just the sling throws, but the coin throws as well.

On to the nail.  I might wait on that until after Easter though.  I think I know how I want to set it up, but still considering options.  Some extra practice time will definitely be good for that one too.

Looking forward to seeing your next one Mersa!  You too Kick if you jump in on any of these.  Wink

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #338 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 7:14pm

Hey I’m thinking we put a hold on any upcoming challenges.
I’m not sure about you guys but there are some pretty extreme social distancing measures in place where I am. I might still get a chance at the coin toss I have some extremely light ammo I might be able to use at a park and not push myself by leaving town to sling.
So basically I’m asking if we can hold off on the challenges

1: Hammering a nail
2: Hitting an object of a persons head.
3: Hitting a frizzbee/ horizontal flying target.
4: Sticking ammo onto an arrow.

In the meantime I’m hoping we can discuss a small series of challenges that we could all do at home (slinging of course).
It’s very rare that everyone is home like this and I think we can likely get a few more people to join if we post this as an entirely new thread on the general notice board.

I was thinking generalised ammo like a ping pong ball

Maybe a few challenges could be
Land ball in cup
Curve through door or window
Bounce through hallways to a cup

Somewhat easy challenges that people might join in on, give each challenge a week and make a scoreboard/leaderboard

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #339 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 8:39pm

I have no objections to a temporary pause.  It will allow me to try some others things along the line of defending myself with a shield while I try to attack myself with an ice ball. Cheesy

I'm also totally game for some indoor challenges.  I'm currently working from home.  Some little sling challenges could be just the thing to drop in here and there throughout the day.

I'll have to look around.  I don't think I have any ping pong balls.  Might need to order some.  Although I'm pretty sure I have some little plastic practice golf balls.  Those should work if I can find them.

Feel free to start the new thread whenever you're ready Mersa.  I'm in!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #340 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 9:40pm

So I got some blue sky and had a small attempt while walking the dog.

20 throws and no hits but a few were super close, much more achievable than I first thought. Hopefully I can get another session in later today or soon enough.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #341 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 2:37am

So I got another attempt in,picked a pile of 75 rocks, so many extremely close calls that I started throwing multiple coins in my last 15 or so rocks, got a solid hit around 6th try with multiple coins. Was grouping good just need that lucky element to play it’s part, I swear a couple just spun at the right time and would just miss.

Anyhow I think I’m happy with this submission but will continue to try to get this done with a single coin in slow motion on my gf phone when I can bother her and the weather is right to see the coin.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #342 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 8:32am

Excellent!  Those slow motion shots are fantastic!  I like the pics you included too.

It can definitely drive you crazy when the throws are coming so close but not getting contact.  I will attest to that.  Great hit on the group coin throw!  I like it!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #343 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 4:41pm

It was fun, I really enjoyed it for the most part, just hard now with social distancing, I would usually get odd looks from people when slinging but now just being outdoors seems like a sin.

Came up with a cool idea but I’ll save it for now , much the same as this but a slight twist.

I’m still pretty interested in a “corona virus challenge “
Need to come up with a few ideas for easier challenges we can do indoors or in confined areas.
I was thinking maybe a leader board with points
A tournament??
And maybe run week long challenges and the participants get to vote the winner and scores are added each week.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #344 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 10:49pm

Can't wait to hear the twist. Smiley

I'd like to do some small indoor challenges.  I still haven't looked to see if I can find some suitable projectiles.  I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow.  Don't think I like name "corona virus challenge" though.  I think we just need a new topic called Indoor online challenge, or something like that.  Indoor challenges could definitely carry on when all this craziness is a thing of the past.

I think a week is good for simpler challenges.  Maybe two weeks if something is a little more difficult or requires some setup.  We could start with something easy.  How about a ricochet off a wall and in to a bucket?  Or is that too simple?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 48
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, LightSlinger, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)