Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Sling Braiding Questions (Read 10766 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Sling Braiding Questions
Reply #60 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:12pm

Right now I am at the transition between the pouch and the cord of a new sling. I'm going to tentatively call it the fades because this is the bowmaking terminology used for the transition from limb to handle. Has anyone here ever tried incorporating macrame into this section of the pouch itself?

It looks great but I have two possible reservations concerning it. One, it's incredibly final. I mean...youre tying knots. If you screw up it's not easy getting the knots undone. And I'm pretty amature at it so messing up seems likely.

Secondly, when put under tension the space in between the knots would  stretch leaving gaps right?

Anyways, this brings me back to my second question, has anyone experimented with *weaving* patterns into the fades or pouch instead of macrame and if so would you kindly point me in the right direction for learning about it? Thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #61 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 12:25am

Morphy wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:12pm:
Right now I am at the transition between the pouch and the cord of a new sling. I'm going to tentatively call it the fades because this is the bowmaking terminology used for the transition from limb to handle. Has anyone here ever tried incorporating macrame into this section of the pouch itself?

It looks great but I have two possible reservations concerning it. One, it's incredibly final. I mean...youre tying knots. If you screw up it's not easy getting the knots undone. And I'm pretty amature at it so messing up seems likely.

Secondly, when put under tension the space in between the knots would  stretch leaving gaps right?

Anyways, this brings me back to my second question, has anyone experimented with *weaving* patterns into the fades or pouch instead of macrame and if so would you kindly point me in the right direction for learning about it? Thanks.  Smiley

I haven't personally done macrame at the transition from pouch to cords, but I don't see a reason it wouldn't work, although if you tie macrame as slow as I do it may be more decorative than practical. If the stretch of the knots is a problem, maybe you could try tying the knots around a static core, if that works with the design of your sling.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #62 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 4:31pm

Thanks Timothy, seems like it's worth looking into.  Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #63 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 4:34pm

Just ordered this and a mini loom from some guy in Russia. Was I too hasty in doing this? Is 25 cm big enough for a maru dai for 32 strand braids? Seems kind of small for all those strands.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #64 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 4:42pm

25 cm for 32 bobbins/tama works, but it is right at the limit.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #65 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 2:43pm

Thanks Teg. So long as I can do 32 that should keep me busy for awhile. Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #66 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 4:20pm

When my gf got into kumihimo, ( which she took it over when i wanted to learn it. But then gave up on it after 2 weeks. ) Lol. I picked these up for here. Which we now have a ton to last forever.  Eventually i will attempt to get back into it.

https://www.weircrafts.com/kumihimo/kumihimo-EZ-bobbins.html

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #67 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 5:38pm

Oh yes I have tons of those. I use them with the foam disks. I'm seriously considering putting little pinhole cameras below the mirror on the Maru Dai so I can look at a screen and see if the braid is coming along nicely. Yes, I am a major nerd.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #68 - Nov 21st, 2020 at 9:47pm

Thats a good idea, or use a mirror. Before we moved my gf had mirrors everywhere.  Would be a bit cheaper

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #69 - Nov 22nd, 2020 at 12:08pm

vetryan15 wrote on Nov 21st, 2020 at 9:47pm:
Thats a good idea, or use a mirror. Before we moved my gf had mirrors everywhere.  Would be a bit cheaper

And make far more sense. Good idea Vet.  Wink

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #70 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 7:43am

Has anyone here ever tried incorporating macrame into this section of the pouch itself?

Yes, my daughter tried this with a wool sling, it looked really cool, but just didn't work. It went anywhere when throwing. Sometimes ok, other times not. No consistency, so I threw it away.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #71 - Nov 23rd, 2020 at 7:48am

a wrote on Nov 23rd, 2020 at 7:43am:
Has anyone here ever tried incorporating macrame into this section of the pouch itself?

Yes, my daughter tried this with a wool sling, it looked really cool, but just didn't work. It went anywhere when throwing. Sometimes ok, other times not. No consistency, so I threw it away.

Ah ok well I can definitely see that being a problem with wool. Anytime I've done macrame with it it tends to stretch horribly. I have dyneema now which has almost no stretch under slinging conditions so hopefully that will do the trick.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris)