Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Sling Braiding Questions (Read 10772 times)
Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Sling Braiding Questions
Reply #30 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 4:54pm

Morphy das Muster ist toll. Gibt es eine Anleitung?

Walter das Geflecht in der Mitte sollte die selbe Stärke haben. Nehmen sie Fäden zu ? Oder Teilen sie nur auf?

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #31 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 5:20pm

Jaegoor- Morphy's pattern is great. Is there any guidance?
Walter the braid in the middle should have the same strength. Do they accept threads? Or do they just share?

Thanks Jaegoor.

This is the set up.

I will say, and being an expert braider you probably know this already, but when I just used the 16 strands of embrodiery thread by themselves, it looked fantastic. The picture I posted above does not look as good, probably due to it being too thick a cord.

The braid is simple. Starting at 12 o clock and going clockwise Top right down, bottom left up, then the same all the way around. The clockwise facing thread always going across first then the opposing thread on the opposite side coming across on the other side.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #32 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 8:00pm

Jaegoor, by threads in the middle, I think you are refering to the final cross over before the split. When I braid a fiber sling, I add fiber so the two center strands are about the same diameter.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #33 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:51am

I am currently working on weaving the pouch of the sling number 6 or 7. This is the farthest along I've brought one of these kumihimo slings.

I've had several I had to abandon due to the braiding not being perfect. I believe due to the type of core I was using in the cord which was having the braid pattern come out a little warped in places.

One thing I am noticing over and over is how much easier this whole process must be with tools specifically designed for certain parts. For example the set up process which takes me hours it seems. And of course the weaving as well.

Do any of you braiders out there have tools you use? If so, what are they and what would you suggest for the newly initiated braiders?

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #34 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 1:59pm

I use:
- cork board and pins for complex and fine stuff (e.g. horse hair)
- Warping pegs ( two 2 c clamps will do or a stool / small table upside down)
- anchor points for tensioning (in my case either safety pin and thick trousers, a table leg, your toes, ...)
- ~300 bobbins (piece of something with a hole, mine are wood, ~ 2 cm x 4.5 cm  x 0.7 cm with a hole, see picture on how to use)

and the usual assortment of scissors, knifes, needles, ...

bobbin_example.JPG (35 KB | 63 )
bobbin_example.JPG

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #35 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 9:45pm

Interesting to hear about your set up Teg. It seems like I can manage some decent designs with rudimentary tools. One thing I was thinking about was using a sewing machine to wind the bobbins quicker.

IP Logged

Logan757
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #36 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 3:13pm

http://www.slinging.org/articleimages/20/19.htm
I would just use this guide
notes
you don't need to Use six strands if you are using a strong material like 550cord. When braiding put the finger loop around something makes your life much easier. Your biggest problem is going to be the pouch be carful when you split the line and connect not to twist the pouch strings.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #37 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 3:26pm

Logan757 wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 3:13pm:
notes
you don't need to Use six strands if you are using a strong material like 550cord. When braiding put the finger loop around something makes your life much easier. Your biggest problem is going to be the pouch be carful when you split the line and connect not to twist the pouch strings.

Thanks Logan. Good stuff.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #38 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 10:47pm

Logan757 wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 3:13pm:
notes

I really like this tutorial,  but my issue is. I have problems with tge round braid. Not sure why, but I can't grasp the concept.  If someone could explain it. Greatly appreciated
Ryan

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #39 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 9:50am

@ Morpy: I forgot: freezer bag clamps. Helps while setting up or when storing works for some time.

vetryan15 wrote on Jan 20th, 2018 at 10:47pm:
I have problems with tge round braid. Not sure why, but I can't grasp the concept.

The appended picture may help. Flat: If you were to use a flat strip, always the same side stays up. "Round": Both sides can be seen from top.
Try it with paper. When you have to fold the paper, you are braiding flat. When braiding "round" you don't have to crease the paper.

Now replace your paper strip with parallel strings and there you go.

flat_vs_round.JPG (36 KB | 66 )
flat_vs_round.JPG

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #40 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 8:48am

@vetryan Easiest to start with is the 4 strand round braid. Once you get used to it a lot of the higher strand round braids are just a similar idea with more strands. I put off learning the round braid for awhile because it didn't quite click. Once you get it, it's easy.

@teg I've been using black binder clips and they don't work that well, may need to try out the freezer bag clamps.

So here's a couple more questions for anyone who cares to answer....

1. Say you are doing a normal round braid, if you secure the loop end to a swivel as you braid would it be less likely to have twist in the cord?

2. Do you believe that having a little twist in the cord leads to less accuracy?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #41 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 7:13pm

@teg thank you for tge information.  I tried out a couple tries today. Slowly kind of getting it. I actually got  Timothy Potter's website to work for me. So I been using those tutorials. 

@morphy I tried a few times in tge past,  but couldn't get it. Since I have been doing a basic 3 strand braid for  awhile now. I wanted to start branching off. I just tried 2x tonight, but keep getting distracted with life. Buy I am finally able to grasp it more.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #42 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 5:32pm

This is a quick loom I put together today. I will probably end up modifying it once I've used it more and know what areas need to be tweaked. For right now it works well though and just needs a comb (not a brush) to separate the  warps (?) better. The brush has a handle on one side which causes it to fall towards the heavier side and tilts the warps a little. Still, gets the job done.

The cylindrical device at the top is a tensioner for clotheslines. It was a few dollars at Lowes and works great.

Any questions, comments or advice is welcome. This is all fairly new to me. I always wove sling pouches in the past with the retention and release tensioned between my thighs. This is a step up for sure.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #43 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 9:41pm

Looking good morphy.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #44 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 6:42am

Awesome!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)