Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Sling Braiding Questions (Read 10784 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Sling Braiding Questions
Reply #15 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 10:14pm

Not garbled at all and very timely. I literally just finished my prep of the cords and was about to put the bundles on my little kumihimo disc when I read your post.

I bought a 1or 2 gallon bucket at Lowes today and Im planning on cutting a hole in the bottom to use as a marudai. If it really is that much faster maybe I should go ahead and do it for this sling.

Man I tell you the prep involved with doing this is really long. I must be doing something wrong.  Grin Still really enjoying this. Cant wait to see more of your guy's slings to give me that little boost to get this first one done lol. Alright back to number 4.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #16 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 11:48am

It certainly does take a long time to measure and cut the string, wind the bobbins and generally set yourself up but you make the time back during the braid. The prep gets quicker with practice.
I've only used up to 8 strands effectively btw. After that it gets too crowded on my stool but I know if I got a wider stool that would solve the problem.

I have also tried splitting braids on it and it does work but it's harder to join back into the proper color placements to continue the pattern

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 3:27pm

Speaking of joining the threads back together. I set this 3rd attempt aside because of that. It looks worse in real life. At some point I will have to undo the braid and fix it but right now.... its time for Redneck Marudai.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2017 at 6:43pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #18 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 4:45pm

Thumbs Up You're getting there.
I'm just trying to identify the pattern but I'm not completely sure.
16 string Kongo-Gumi? In groups of 2?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 5:29pm

I dont know the name to be honest Teg. I googled kumihimo patterns, clicked images and scrolled down until I found one I liked.  What I found out on this one was that the pattern doesnt look nearly as good on thicker cords as it did on my test piece. So Im going a bit thinner.

Edit: It was 32 strands in groups of two so 16 pairs. Too thick for my tastes so I bought a much smaller diameter paracord for the core.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2017 at 8:22am by Morphy »  

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #20 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 7:16am

When u get to doing the pouch, could you explain how you do it? I been practicing but really haven't had good luck with doing it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 8:15am

Although I have a little experience with 6-12 strand hand braiding, all of this stuff is new to me. I will try and post any relavant info on the pouch and other problem areas as I figure them out.

Our more experienced braiders could probably help more in this as well.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #22 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 1:25pm

Thanks,  my issue is usually the pouch and Timothy Potter's website is always down. So I can't tell any further.  Gonna probably wait till the winter to get more practice done. Since most of my time currently is dedicated to forging knives.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 3:27pm

Nice Morphy!!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #24 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 7:56pm

Tomas wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 3:27pm:
Nice Morphy!!!!

Thanks Tomas  Smiley

So here are my new bobbins or Tama(?) for the redneck marudai.
I really hope they arent too heavy. They actually are quite heavy... The cheap ones I bought at Hobby Lobby were way too light. If these dont work out Ill make them into sling ammo, so one way or the other they are destined to be something sling related.

That being said, I do have a question, and this is really bugging me. What kind of knot or technique do you guys use to keep your bobbins from unraveling when they are hanging on the marudai? Im currently using a half hitch and rubber bands and I keep thinking there has to be a better way.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #25 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 9:34pm

Clove hitch should work or cut little grooves in the bolts to lock the thread in. Looking nice by the way

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #26 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 7:00am

http://www.facetjewelry.com/fiber-cord/how-to/2016/06/kumihimo-basics-kongoh-gum...

This should help. This is also what I do for simple string bundles while fistbraiding.

Weight of tama: I've read about ~70 g per tama, give or take a bit depending on what you want to do. The counterweight for the braided part shall be around half of the total weight of all the tama. But don't quote me on that  Wink.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #27 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 12:23pm

I weighed my Manly Tamas yesterday and they came in at 80 grams so I guess that will work. I am finding the Marudai takes more skill than I originally thought. I thought at first I would just be copying the motion of the disc but there seems to be a lot more to it. 

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words and helpful tips. Hopefully this thread will help others as well.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 6:34pm

Vetryan15, if you are 5 strand flat braiding you will have at least 2 strings per strand after you form the finger loop. When you get to the length of retention cord that you want and you have not spliced in any more strings, you will end up with a skinny  split.

I braid left to right meaning I start on the left side, braid over 2 strings, then take the far right string and pass it over the 2 strings to the left.
To start the split, I take the top bundle (2 strings) on the left and pass them over the next two bundles. Then I take half a bundle (1 cord) and pass it over to the left.

There are now five strings on each side, so you braid one side of the split and then the other.

To bring the spltis back together, end the left side with three strands facing left and two to the right. The right side two to the left and three to the right. Run the left side two facing right over and under the two facing left on the right side.
Now bring the top left string down over three, under one and over one. Tighten the braid and bring the top right bundle (2 strings) down and over two bundles. Continue braiding one over two.

This is how I do it. Lots of other ways.
Pic on left is front view; pic on right is back view (the side ammo rests on) In this pic it does not look like  the splits are side by side at the release end, but they are Undecided

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #29 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 7:11am

Thanks Walter, it's greatly appreciated.  I will have a go at it soon. Thabks so much

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)