Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S'Clash: Why triangular shape? (Read 4922 times)
SClasher
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Warsaw, Poland
S'Clash: Why triangular shape?
Aug 2nd, 2017 at 2:58pm

Shortest answer:
To increase the accuracy of the shot.

We all known problems with ball rotation. It's first effect preventing the use of ultra light balls. Slingshot is almost like throwing a boomerang...
The next problem I call "whip shot" (?), sometimes so loud shot of the whip that weird is that the ball still has the energy to fly Wink
This is because at end of throw  the interaction between the ball and the sling lasts too long. Sometimes the whole cord  wrap around the released ball.
That's why at the end of the throw  there is "a shot from the whip". Good example is Dan Mervine shooting:

BTW. very nice shooting...

Triangular shape almost eliminates both undesirable effects. Look how the ball goes between the strings:

Such a sling design give improved accuracy when tennis bal are used, too. To use ultra light foam balls triangular shape of pouch is absolutely essential.

As the S'Clash is aimed at school kids too... using of foam balls is crucial.

Despite this, some teachers have their doubts anyway  Wink

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: S'Clash: Why triangular shape?
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 3:51pm

Real interesting. What sort of distanes have you managed to get with this design? I imagine using foam balls they don't go all that far, but have you tried heavier ammo?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 10:00pm

Hey! I'm in that video, though that was quite a few years ago now, my slinging hasn't changed too much.

I would be curious to see a side by side comparison with the two sling types! I know with the traditional sling that extra "hold" on the ammunition can allow for a spiral with the right ammunition but that is less likely with the foam balls you are using. Are they just tennis balls you are throwing or what are they?

Slightly more modern video with tennis balls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaeMh8JvQNc

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 2:39am

Love to see a more battle hardened version in odd terrain.
Had a nice sling in the forest last weekend. Having trees to manoeuvre through and different lines of sight would really make it exciting.

Pretty interested to know what the balls are your using. I haven't found any projectiles that my friends would be willing to get hit by with my sling.
Best thing I've found are the sock ball ammo curious ardvark talks about.

Maybe protective eyewear or something could be use to eliminate that soft spot.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 7:44am

the crack has nothing to do with the cord touching the ball. It's simply the end of the release cord going faster than the speed of sound.

If the sling if made properly then at no point should the release cord touch the ammunition.

I have found that my 3d printed plastic sling pouches are very smooth and  don't grip tennis balls very much so you get very little rotation when using them. And the ball does fly very straight.
As in this video clip from last year:

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

SClasher
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Warsaw, Poland
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:56pm

@kicktheotter
"Real interesting. What sort of distanes have you managed to get with this design? I imagine using foam balls they don't go all that far, but have you tried heavier ammo?"

Yes, good question. Sclash-sling is specialized, constructed directly to S'Clash, for foam balls.
To have a hard core game the best bet is a small lead ball and a matching sling of the type you do yourself. There is no doubt  Cool

The foam ball weighs about 20g (only!) Three times less than the tennis ball. This creates problems and their solution costs:

Real distance for accurate foam ball shoot is ca. 10m - 15m. Not much but about the length of a S'Clash pitch Smiley

IP Logged

SClasher
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Warsaw, Poland
Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 1:42pm

@Dan
"Are they just tennis balls you are throwing or what are they?"

Yes, tennis balls. This is the best ammunition I dare to use right next to the entrance to the family home...

On the right side you can see the fragment of the neck of my youngest daughter. She sits calmly, back to me.  Cool

Sometimes she would been even interested, especially when I had good "killstreak"  Roll Eyes

Nice to meet you Dan. Very good shooting there! You would be the rock of any S'clash team  Cheesy;)

ps.
I have to learn how to embed smaller images, [img width=300] doesn't work, @all: any clue?

IP Logged

SClasher
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Warsaw, Poland
Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 2:43pm

@Mersa
"I haven't found any projectiles that my friends would be willing to get hit by with my sling."

That's why I started playing S'Clash with my own children...  Grin

"Pretty interested to know what the balls are your using."

I order them in Poland, from the manufacturer. Yes, it surprised me too that not from China but never was sure how much they will eventually weigh.
The weight varied from delivery to delivery in the range of 15 to 25g but 15g is not enough even for sclash-slings.
And these variable colors...    Angry

"Maybe protective eyewear or something could be use to eliminate that soft spot."

Believe me, I tried.
Helmets different kind, motorcycle helmets (quite good but too expensive), paintball helmet (stifling, hitting hurt, narrow field of view) etc. etc.
No one wants to wear it and last but not least, it is difficult to encourage people to play scared them from the beginning.
Especially their mothers and teachers Wink

IP Logged

SClasher
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Warsaw, Poland
Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 4:20pm

@Curious Aardvark

"It's simply the end of the release cord going faster than the speed of sound."

It's holy true but sling cord is to short and to soft to shot like with a whip. Just try to make any crack using sling without a ball.
I think the flying out ball is pulling a string and make a crack. However, I do not insist on exactly what is the mechanism of the crack.
Slow motion video would be interesting but it's all much to fast for my 240 fps camera  Sad

"If the sling if made properly then at no point should the release cord touch the ammunition. "

I think standard design give no chance of no-contact between the cord and the flying-out ball. In the worst case (the ball is placed exactly in the middle of the pouch) the whole cord is scrubbing off the ball... However, you can make sure the friction is small. As you said, "properly made sling".

"3d printed plastic sling pouches"

Interesting, how it looks? It's always good to have waterproof sling on a beach. What a great fun when using water absorbent foam balls... last year we were playing S'clash on the small, shallow river near Warsaw.
We have to repeat it... it's so hot here lately  Shocked

"I have found that my 3d printed plastic sling pouches are very smooth and  don't grip tennis balls very much so you get very little rotation when using them. And the ball does fly very straight."

Yes, you are right. Long time ago when I play with my dogs only (what a beautiful times, btw  Wink)  I throw for dogs tennis balls or (better) rubber balls. 
I used triangular slings in those days for one only reason - it was very easy to manufacture.
Four-cord sling is even easier to do  - it was my very first sling, square shape... Of course, it quickly turned out that one string is quite unnecessary and even sometimes disturb after a shot.
It was sometimes good tangled  Grin

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 5:25pm

You can easily crack without ammo if it's the right sling. It just needs to be weighted properly. The release cord needs to have a weighty body and taper down like a bullwhip. You also need to have a tassel or similar.

Single cord paracord doesn't crack without a projectile because the weight distribution is even throughout and it's too light, you don't get that bullwhip flick effect and you can't put enough speed into the cords because they're too light. You can crack them with a projectile in if they have a frayed end though. I'd say it's the much increased tension on the cords causing a faster flick open.

It's a really interesting looking sling though- might try make one sometime, and the game looks fun too.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 7:03am

My slings don't crack, but you do get a sharp whistle effect. It doesn't matter if the slings are full or empty, you get the same sound.

Can i suggest that the reason your release cords hit your ammo is because you have 2 release cords.
A single release cord with a toggle or knots on the end, should NEVER contact your ammo.
I wear out release cords right at the end where the knots do the whipcrack. I've never had any wear anywhere else on the relase cord. 

There are many different ways to make slings and sling pouches - just because the way you've chosen lets the ammo hit the release cord - does not mean that it happens on every other sling as well.

Drop me your address and I'll send you a printed, 2 cord sling - and a sock ball Smiley

I'm currently in the process of making sea proof slings for the guys in Guam. But those are most likely going to be an industrial rubber as it's far more salt and uv resistant then the pla plastic ones - plus will grip ammo more for better spin.

So what are the rules of sling clash ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 7:10am

Sclasher, interesting post. Your sling design looks nice, I dont think Ive seen one with 3 cords before. So this is basically dodge ball with a sling? As a kid we used to play a variant of dodge ball called something like "Guard the King" or "Kill the Kings". Essentially it was dodgeball with three large standing objects positioned on each teams court. You had to knock down all three to actually win. So the players had to position themselves on defense of the "kings" or offensively to knock out the opposing team.
Im not in a position to play that here since Im the only slinger for miles, but it might be fun for you guys if your interested.

IP Logged

SClasher
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Warsaw, Poland
Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 2:36pm

@
Curious Aardvark

"So what are the rules of sling clash ? "
I responded to the thread http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1501620926/13#12, take a look please.

"A single release cord with a toggle or knots on the end, should NEVER contact your ammo. "
Even for the first few milliseconds? The cord would have to move faster than the ball... I do not know, I would have to see it.

It would be nice to have a slow-motion movie to compare the behavior of the slings.
Has anyone got a 1000 fps camera? Wink

IP Logged

SClasher
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Warsaw, Poland
Reply #13 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 3:15pm

@
Morphy

"... Im the only slinger for miles ..."

Like most of us  Cool  but for different reasons, I think. I live in a big city and I do not have almost anyone to play with, too.

I'm trying to change it for some time now. Although in my town.
I will tell about it in a new topic in a while. Our new project in cooperation with the city council, we will see...

In big cities there are many basketball courts surrounded by high netting ... perfect place for S'Clash.
This is a chance for the slinging city-boys  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, LightSlinger, Curious Aardvark)