Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Custom shape and size Clay Glande Rollers (Read 31052 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Custom shape and size Clay Glande Rollers
Reply #30 - May 1st, 2018 at 7:30am

I was thinking of hitting it lightly with sandpaper real quick,  it when I went to throw yesterday. It didn't really seem to affect it to much. So I might just leave it like that.  I pulled out my reptile digital scale the other day, but it seems to have died, I am in the middle of getting it replaced.  Add o I haven't been able to measure out the clay yet unfortunately.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #31 - May 1st, 2018 at 12:28pm

I actu5just sent this link to a few people on another forum,  they are interested in getting one. Just a heads up.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #32 - May 3rd, 2018 at 6:52am

cheers Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #33 - May 10th, 2018 at 10:50am

Currently wondering if a mould with built in dimples, would make a dimpled glande.

I can't see why it wouldn't.
Either directly, or roll a smooth one with standard mould and do one pass through a dimpled one of the same size to create a clay golf cross 'ball'.
Or maybe a shaped dimple stamp.

Currently thinking about how to make the dimpled mould. But I reckon it's worth a try Smiley 

The maths will no doubt make my head hurt !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #34 - May 10th, 2018 at 10:43pm

I think a dimpled mold is doable,  not sure how to write the software for it. But look forward to it definitely.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #35 - May 27th, 2018 at 1:27pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WDwodyPYsdM
I did a quick video on how the roller works. Just don't mind my speaking skills I tend mess up while talking while recording video,  not sure why cuz I have great public speaking skills. But anyway here you go.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2019 at 6:57am by Curious Aardvark »  
IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #36 - May 27th, 2018 at 10:47pm

Nicely done!  Thanks vet!

@CA: If you don’t beat me to it, I will see if I can come up with a way to auto generate the dimples in a scalable way and send you the code. It’ll be a fun challenge, but it doesn’t sound easy!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #37 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 7:39am

I make the moulds by either reshaping a sphere, or making a flat 2d shape and stretching it.

If you add dimples to the sphere, then you don't get even dimples, some of them will be invariably stretched.
I have no idea if that's a bad thing.
Also openscad always crashes when i try and make the initial dimpled 'golfball' - so I've yet to get beyond that point.

Adding dimples to the final mould file would be more effective, but I suspect the maths to work out how the dimples are place to give even depth hollows is beyond me.

Cool video Ryan - thanks Thumbs Up
Added it to the first post in the thread Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #38 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 8:21pm

Glad I could help. I freaking love that mold.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #39 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 3:39am

I'm gonna have to get one , I just need to figure out if clays gonna be dense enough for my small pouch , I throw stones more than rocks so to say. Before sithmas

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #40 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 10:18pm

@Mersa: are you saying you only have one sling?!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #41 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 3:49am

My sling is my first and still the best . I have made many others but I only really use one other sling . So 2

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #42 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 7:48am

Well, you could always try hand rolling some clay ammo first to see how it works with your sling. That might help you decide what size roller to buy from CA.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #43 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 8:37am

plus you can always mix some lead shot in the clay.

The air dry modelling clay i use is pretty dense.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #44 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 7:10am

Just changed the pricing system.
Now very easy to work out for yourself. It also makes the moulds a little cheaper Smiley
Just add the length and diameter together and divide by 8 to give cost in british pounds.

I'm also adding international economy post.
As an example.
Package I just sent to Australia (221gms - 2 moulds) would have been £6.40 by airmail but was just £4.20 by economy.

Airmail would take 5-8 days to get there.
Economy 30-40 days. It's going by ship I presume.

If you want a lot of moulds, it might be worth the wait Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)