Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Custom shape and size Clay Glande Rollers (Read 31056 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Custom shape and size Clay Glande Rollers
May 31st, 2017 at 12:13pm

These are 2 part custom made moulds designed to produce consistently sized and shaped clay glandes by using a sliding motion to roll the clay into the required size and shape.

Mould lengths are twice the diameter of the glande plus 20mm. This gives plenty of length for a complete roll and after a fair bit of experimentation is what I've decided is an ideal length.

The moulds initially will come in three basic shapes:

Pointy:

Guam Inspired:

And the traditional ovoid.

The basic shape can be changed considerably, depending on the proportion of diameter to length.

So here are a few variations to give you the idea of how proportion makes all the difference.
Proportions are given as: Diameter : length
For example A glande 30mm diameter with a 60mm length would have a proportion of 1:2

1:1 - essentially round, not recommended as it's easier to just hand roll a rough sphere.

1:1.5

1:2

1:2.5

1:3

Bear in mind that the basic shape is NOT effected by the size of the glande - just the proportion of diameter to length.

Text Stamps
These are used to put a word into the clay while it's still fairly soft.
I find that if you wait a while after rolling for the clay to firm up slightly, pressing the text in doesn't deform the rest of the glande as much.

I will throw in 1 free text stamp with each mould set.

Bear in mind that the text stamps are currently straight (might tackle curved at some point in the future) and the glandes surface is curved. So short words or phrases currently work best.

Shrinkage

Other things to bear in Mind. All sizes given are for fresh/wet glandes. Glandes will shrink and lose weight as they dry and harden.  So if you actually want a hardened 60x30 glande. You'll probably need to start with something closer to 70x35 or even 80x40. To give you some idea.
My modelling clay guam glande that started out at 72mm x 37 (same size as my coral guam glande) used around 102 gms of wet clay.
Fully dry it weighs: 90.93
Length is now 65.5 and diameter is: 36.
So i lost around 10% weight, 10% length and hardly any diameter, kinda weird.
So aim for around 10% loss in weight and length on air dried clay.

Filament
By Default this will be PLA (Polylactic acid) A hard durable plastic. That is biodegrable if left in a hot compost heap for several years. It's produced primarily from cornstarch. So if you care, it's planet friendly and made from renewable resources.
It's a hard and pretty durable material and with a little care, your moulds should last for many years.

Colour
Colour will probably be either white or black, depending on what i have most of at the time.
I can also offer it in transparent, yellow and usually red.
If you want a specific colour, please ask - otherwise it's pot luck.

Premium Plastics

Metallic Filament

This comes in copper and aluminium

It's coloured with 30% actual metal powder and is around 3 times the cost of my normal pla. So if you want shiny metal looking moulds - enquire for availability and extra cost. As I haven't managed to buy decent sized reels of this stuff yet, I don't know what discount my mate at;  www.3dexfilament.com is giving me for posting links to his website all over the place Smiley
So as he's currently out of stock on the aluminium - I haven't been able to buy any yet. Just had short sample lengths. 

Size and Costing

All prices are in english pounds. Which means at the moment, europaens and americans are getting a great deal - canadians - not quite so much Smiley  

Prices are based on a 30x50 glande being the base - which is £10 and also the minimum price. ie: a 30x50 or anything smaller will cost £10 - anything bigger will cost a little more.
Looks like this:

It's a good size and shape for distance slinging and you probably don't want to go much smaller.
They are pretty much the same size and shape as the ones Uwe was using last year.

Pricing will be calculated base proportionally on the volume of the mould in relation to the 30x50 standard.

Pretty easy.
Add the length and diameter of the size you want together and divide by 8.
So a 75x40 mould would be: 115/8 = £14.375.

Metallic pricing when I know myself Smiley

Volume Discounts
I will knock £1 off the overall bill for every subsequent mould you buy.

ie: 2 moulds = £1 discount
    3 moulds = £2 discount
    4= £3 discount
And so on.  There is no limit on the amount of discount you can have - the more moulds you buy - the more money you save Smiley 

How It Works
Decide what size mould you would like and contact me. I will produce a 3d model of the glande and send that back to you with the calculated cost and p&p. If you are happy with the shape and cost, pay me via Paypal and I will make and ship the mould asap.  Moulds can take anywhere from 5 hours on up to well over 10 to make. So I will undertake to ship within 3 days of receiving the order.
If there is a delay for any reason I will tell you.
I've just added another 3d printer so hopefully that will stop any obvious delays.

Is there a maximum size mould you can make ?
Yes. I can make moulds up to 140mm long and 120mm in diameter. As this would produce something about a third the size of a rugby ball and weighing around a kilo, I would imagine - I don't envisage anyone wanting something so large. But should you want to, for whatever reason - it is technically possible. 

Is there a minimum size mould you can make ?
Yes - I can go down as low as 2.5x5mm - for anything smaller I'd need to rewrite the whole script - and that's not happening, unless someone offers me lots of money Smiley . I have no idea why you would want something so tiny - unless you intend to train cockroaches to sling. But it's technically doable.

Sample Transaction

So lets walk through a hypothetical purchase:

Fred: CA can you make me a traditional ovoid mould set that will make a glande 66mm long with a 33mm diameter.  Can I have a text stamp with 'GOT YOU'  as well please.

ME: Certainly fred. It will look like this:

66+33=99
99/8= £12.375 - Call it £12.30
P&P should be around £5-£6 (based on past transactions) to most places that aren't the uk. £3 if fred lives in the uk.
If you go for economy (overland) post it's cheaper but will take alot longer to get there Smiley

Overall cost of a 33x66 mould is:
£15.30 if you live in the uk
£16.30 if you don't live in the uk. 

Fred: Works for me, have some money.
ME: Thank you very much, your mould should be ready tomorrow.

Approximately 8 days later.

Fred: Wow these are amazing, I've just ground up and used all the kitty litter, mixed with a little water it works great,  I couldn't find any clay and who cares if the cat craps eveywhere - I have lots of really consistent clay glandes Thumbs Up

Video of mould in action:
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2019 at 6:58am by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Custom shape and size Clay Glande Rollers
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 10:36pm

Excellent. I will definitely be purchasing some.

As for Fred, I dont know the man but I like his style. Litter boxes are over rated anyhow. (As are cats but dont tell my wife.)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 11:33am

Recent moulds:

3sizes1_640x330.jpg (33 KB | 167 )
3sizes1_640x330.jpg
3sizes2_332x480.jpg (27 KB | 170 )
3sizes2_332x480.jpg

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 4:08pm

Dayglow yellow mould being made by Alexa (my modified he3d k200 delta 3d printer) and yes it was a request, not a cruel joke I'm playing Smiley

At some point I'll get a decent webcam and make videos of your moulds being made - current webcam struggles after sundown. That'll be something to show the grandkids.
"You know, back before teleportation and instantaneous manufacturing, we had these primitive machines called 3d printers. Well that's how granpa got this here antique glande roller. Which unless you behave and eat your greens is all the inheritance you'll be getting !"

IP Logged

IndyDude
Tiro

Just a slingin'

Indiana
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 9:44pm

I dunno what crazy person would order some wacky color like that!!  Grin

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 5:40pm

Well the damn thing fought back, yellow filament is a real bastard to work with - something I'd forgotten lol
And the one in the above picture is not the final model - that one was horrible.
Cracked it this afternoon.

Got an emergency call out tomorrow, some idiot reset the router in a pub, so now they can't take any electronic payments, sunday morning call out, well it's money - so can't get to a post office till monday.
If you're reading this kicktheotter, I'll send your sling as well.

So note to people - NEVER PRESS THE RESET BUTTON ON A ROUTER TO RESET IT.
Always use the power on and off button. or just pull the power cable out and stick it back in again.
The reset button completely wipes the router and sets it back to factory settings.

It should really be labelled the: 'If you are not the person who set this router up, then DO NOT TOUCH THIS BUTTON' button.
Or simply: 'Don't ! Yes, this means you !'

I've even seen routers where the wpa wireless connect button, also doubles as the reset button. What were they thinking ? noidea

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 6:04am

Sounds fun but yeah great to hear the sling will be on it's way Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

IndyDude
Tiro

Just a slingin'

Indiana
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 7:21am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 14th, 2017 at 5:40pm:
Well the damn thing fought back, yellow filament is a real bastard to work with - something I'd forgotten lol
And the one in the above picture is not the final model - that one was horrible.

That yellow isn't necessarily a strict requirement for me if its a lot of trouble.. We can go with something else..

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 8:25am

IndyDude wrote on Oct 16th, 2017 at 7:21am:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 14th, 2017 at 5:40pm:

That yellow isn't necessarily a strict requirement for me if its a lot of trouble.. We can go with something else..

He loves a challenge

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 2:31pm

this is true - plus it's in the post now Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 5:25pm

When u get back from your trip, I would like to pick one if these up.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 7:20am

Offloaded most of the moulds hanging around my workshop in mallorca.
Some went as gifts (it was uwe's birthday), some had to pay (hey, I'm skint and they were much cheaper than from here).
But they're now in germany, switzerland, guam and (I think) madrid - wherever alberto is from anyway Smiley

Next year I'll probably take larger sized moulds.
Also working on a couple different shapes (as if it wasn't complicated enough).

Pretty sure the delta printer is working properly again. No idea what the glitch was, just printed slanted for a while. Weird.
Everything recently has been straight. And that's 30 plus different models. So I'll try another mould this evening. 
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2018 at 2:48pm by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 7:27am

Just let me know when you are ready.  I am ready to buy.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #13 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 12:45pm

Sweet can't wait. I think I actually forgot to tell you which text phrase I wanted.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 2:50pm

CATCH
Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)