Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Which is better for slings?: Twisted or braided cord (Read 2708 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Which is better for slings?: Twisted or braided cord
Reply #15 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 3:45am

If I'm not wrong bowstrings need to be twisted even a little so they dont splay when shot to avoid increasing drag.

KnollSlinger wrote on Jun 27th, 2021 at 3:24pm:
ok so why not use bow strings to make a sling?  it would reduce wind resistance.  You would have to attach it to something to hold as it would cut into your hand.  Also, the pocket would probably be a different material.

https://youtu.be/EXb0plY4-jc
made a sling like that. I didn't use many strands and then twist like in a bowstring because a single strand was strong enough for slinging. If I twisted many strands the sling would be unusable because bowstrings strands are not reverse twisted.

I think material stretch is more important than stretch by braid or by twist.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Which is better for slings?: Twisted or braided cord
Reply #16 - Jun 28th, 2021 at 5:15am

One thing I think is important for light and very light slings is that the pouch that is used for them is not exceptionally heavy in relation to the cords used, which can quickly become the case when medium to thick leather is used for the pouch

I've had good success with  thin flexible floppy couch leather for these very light slings, using the aussie pouch design, but I've also had great success with with netted pouches. That being said, I would not go thinner idieally than 2 millimeters round for the cords and see no real reason to. I think 2 mm is ideal for synthetic distance slings and 4mm is great for all round slings (normal paracord size).

I know paracord is  a little stretchy but it is very aerodynamic. Every time I return from natural sling to paracord I am struck by the smooth and efficient feel.

I recently made a 4 ply twisted cord from loose sisal fibers that's just as thick as the paracord and it's also quite a smooth cillinder , I think I would opt to use that for a natural sling now as my go to , it also performs very well

I've also discovered one can make a normal 3 strand flat braid into quite a round ciliinder by hitting the sides of the braid with a hammer. This makes the cords longer and rounder.  I still want to compare that to plied cords. It might also be an easier alternative to get round cords than using kumihinololono braids

I think that excessive wrist rotation and the use of many secondary rotations in the slinging style used  are a major contributor of loss of pouch orientation control

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man)