Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Targets (Read 4377 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Targets
Oct 15th, 2016 at 8:25am

I was just wondering what everyone was using for targets. I've been using mostly planks of wood and an old bench (the picture is a bit old so my set-up's changed a bit and also accounts for the snow) the planks being around 1.5 to 2 inches thick. They stand up to abuse pretty well and I've currently only destroyed completely one target (my first one) which was quite spectacular to see I can tell you.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Re: Targets
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 9:18pm

when i practiced alot id use 4 inch sections of two by four and set them on a table cans and stuff

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2016 at 3:37am

(deleted)
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2018 at 11:00am by johan »  

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2016 at 3:58pm

Nail sheet metal attached to the wood. (Many nail.)

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 7:56pm

I usually sling while walking my Huskies. The new ones, Max and Pandora, aren't well trained enough for group walks and slinging yet so I don't get to do anywhere near as much as I did with Kali and Odin. My targets vary with my surroundings. Usually a man sized bush is my favorite.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 8:32pm

I had a piece of roofing tin I nailed over some 1 X 6's.  They lasted a while but I eventually hammered it to pieces.  I never broke the surface of the tin but the force eventually turned the boards to splinters.

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 8:50pm

I was wondering this myself. When I first started slinging, I was throwing from very close distances and ricochet was a serious consideration.

I started with just aiming at conifer tree trunks. Then I moved on to setting up .22 targets stapled to a piece of particle board.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:39am

I haven't had much problem with ricochet. I have had it with slingshots though using these same wooden targets. Yeah... Would not recommend. Having a stone bouncing straight back at you and then bouncing off of two trees before hitting the lake... Somewhat unnerving I have to say.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 2:54pm

I am no where near the target stage of my development.  For now, I am content to launch tennis balls and golf balls in an empty field.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 3:26pm

I went straight to stones and wooden target. Probably a mistake and I think I've picked up bad habits from not focusing on technique and instead going straight to accuracy. I still don't think I'm all that accurate Cheesy

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 4:47pm

If you get the technique down and focus on one style with one weight of ammo, the accuracy will come with regular practice.

But we are talking about an hour at least a couple of times a week for most people.  There was one guy from Canada who was ringing his gong pretty consistently in just a couple of weeks.  He didn't think using a sling was all that difficult and actually gave it up because it was too easy.

Not that I was jealous or anything.   whistle

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 6:00pm

I agree. Consistency is everything and heating that story doesn't make me envious at all...

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 6:50pm

Perhaps I'd be more at risk of ricochet if I were better able to sling in straighter lines.

In my opinion the difficulty of slinging is relative to one's objective in its use. If you want to score headshots on rabbits at 30 yards, it is quite difficult for a beginner. I was actually surprised at how intuitive a sling is to use at the novice level. Especially since I have never been too great at throwing objects by hand, generally speaking. That said, there is a long road ahead of me towards achieving the level of proficiency that I look forward to.

I imagine there is a learning curve though.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #13 - Nov 13th, 2016 at 6:22am

Now that the election is over, there are plenty of political signs all over. Perfect for targets. If they have the person's face on them, it's a bonus.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Nov 13th, 2016 at 11:35am

One of the best back stops is a large piece of old carpet hung over a rope.  This works pretty good for stopping fairly large objects.  Lead and small stones will punch through pretty quickly, though.

If you have a garbage dump near by, it's pretty easy to get.  If not, call people that re-decorate houses or sell carpets.  Lots of times they remove old carpets and are happy to give them to you for the asking.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15)