Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
recent site blockage. (Read 14639 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
recent site blockage.
Jul 18th, 2016 at 6:25am

Apparently we had a virus on the server which came in via cms.
They sent an email to chri's original email address, he's on holiday and not sure if he ever checks the rocket mail account these days anyway.

So I have to update the cms.

I have no clue how to do this - at the moment.  To be fair I don't really know what the cms actually does lol

Hopefully it won't bugger everything else up when I find out how to do it Smiley

Sorry for the inconvenience.
CA

Hmm, just had a quick look and it looks like it's going to be about 19 consequetive updates. 
Apparently because our cms is 10 years old I can't  just go to the latest version 2. I have to actually install every single update they've released in the last 10 years, consequetively.  So that sounds like fun - also  a long night or ten.
Wish me luck - 'cos I think I'm going to need it lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: recent site blockage.
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 8:03am

I kept getting a 401 header that wouldn't allow my password.

And it kept telling me to Login this time and then kept telling me I was logged in.

I have no idea if I did anything or if one of the updates finally kicked in but, anyways, I'm back in.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 2:29pm

lol - the nice people at the server turned us back on Smiley

I haven't attempted the cms thing yet. K

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

(delete)
Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 1:57pm

(delete)
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2017 at 3:59pm by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 7:05am

nope page still there - go to www.slinging.org

it's cms made easy and it's a 10 year old version.

As far as I've been able to ascertain I have to upgrade - one at a time - to every single release in the last 10 years to get to the latest version.

It's got to be done, but can't say I'm looking forward to it Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

(delete)
Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 8:44am

(delete)
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2017 at 3:59pm by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 1:09pm

Ah - yes you're right.
Bugger.

That'll be the cms having been shut down by the server people then.

Sad

Guess i know what I'm doing this weekend. Joy

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2016 at 4:32am

-
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2017 at 3:58pm by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 7:27am

Chris ?
At the moment he could be anywhere Smiley
He's on holiday travelling with his family. He's a university professor these days - so LONG holidays Smiley
You can look him up - https://www.hcii.cmu.edu/people/chris-harrison
Good guy. But what with family and work - he started the site when he was a student - just doesn't have the time for the site these days. 

One of the problems we have is that the site was built partly by chris and partly by matthias. who literally did just drop off the face of the planet.
No idea where he went, just one day didn't show up and nobody's heard from him since.

I'm not  a fan of the cms, prefer a web design program linked through ftp to the server space - but we're stuck with it.

So apart from creating a couple of cds of dogs barking (should have done it last week - but plain forgot) - it's the next thing on my to-do list.

Currently I have not a clue where the install files are hiding.
Once I've found those, it should just be a case of replacing with new ones, reintialising and repeat till I fall asleep at the keyboard Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2016 at 7:25am

okay.
as I don't seem to have access to the admin control panel anymore.
It's going to be a total shot in the dark. So I'm going to back the whole forum up before I start.
I have no idea if it will work - as it seems I need control panel access to update some parts of the system.
Looks like when the server bods removed the virus they killed the existing cms control panel, so I'll be basically going for total potluck. Wonderful.

so at some point you'll get the 'work being done'(been a few years I can't remember exactly what it says) message and won't be able to login to the forum.

But before I start changing stuff, I want to make sure it's all downloaded and backed up.

By rights it shouldn't effect the forum sub folder.

But been a few years since I did a complete backup - so won't hurt to do the forum as well.

IP Logged

Toby
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Nürnberg
Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2016 at 3:04pm

Hopefully no one used their email account password on the forum, as the password could be stolen. 

I had the same happen to my email while ebay was hacked by the heartbeat hack!
Luckly i got my email account back!

:slinger:                                             Mad Monkey

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 10:54am

why would you use your email account password ?

noidea

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 10:30am

how things are going?
i really liked looking that list with the ranges Tongue

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2016 at 7:13am

yeah, still trying to work out how i access the disabled control panel. None of the upgrade guides mention it.

I should have some time to sit down and puzzle it out this week. Plus losing the website has cut iur hits right down, so no point trying again with the advert folk till it's back up where it should be.

Like everything I have ahuge list of things that need doing and a mind like nervous butterfly: to say I'm easily distracted is like saying elephants don't often get invited to cocktail parties (they steal all the shrimp).

At some point I will chain myself to this chair and sort it.

IP Logged

ForgottenBeast
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 3:50am

Since slinging.org seems to be written in Perl I reckon a simple (perl) script could automatically poll the server for updates? You'd just have to set the script up to check every hour or so and just install the next version, that way you wont have to just sit in front of the console and manually do every update!

Do you have a shell on the server the forum runs on or do you just have an admin panel?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)