Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slings in Medieval Manuscript Miniatures (Read 7228 times)
TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Re: Slings in Medieval Manuscript Miniatures
Reply #15 - Apr 22nd, 2020 at 5:26am

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/media/cache/manuscriptminiatures.com/original/32...

The finger loops is throwed and the cord is holded.
My video is not very good.

I think that many methods had been forgotten. Is it possible ?

DSCN4399.MOV (4407 KB | 54 )

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #16 - May 25th, 2020 at 4:49am

TOMBELAINE wrote on Apr 22nd, 2020 at 5:26am:
http://manuscriptminiatures.com/media/cache/manuscriptminiatures.com/original/32...

The finger loops is throwed and the cord is holded.
My video is not very good.

I think that many methods had been forgotten. Is it possible ?

I've also been trying to  determine ways they held and constructed slings with these old pictures, but I think that most of them are nonsensical artistical interpretations who had no experience with the sling
Written sources that describe the sling are probably better

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #17 - May 28th, 2020 at 8:08am

Just my thinks :
Modern boats have a rigid and waterproof hull. Viking boats have a flexible hull and thereford took on water. Can we say that the vikins had crappy boats ? Every era has its needs and thereford its solutions.
With my slingshot, I never had to fend off a pack of wolves that was getting to close to my house. Maybe it is the same with the styles presented ? They do not correspond to our goals of distance, competition and leisure.
I can't remember who wrote it but a member had chatted with an old indian. His throwing style is specific. Who among us use it ? And who is comfortable with it ?
In the Middle-Ages, people lived in the countryside so they knew the slingshot. Kids, the monks had probably played with.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - May 28th, 2020 at 3:27pm

TOMBELAINE wrote on May 28th, 2020 at 8:08am:
Modern boats have a rigid and waterproof hull. Viking boats have a flexible hull and thereford took on water. Can we say that the vikins had crappy boats ? Every era has its needs and thereford its solutions.
With my slingshot, I never had to fend off a pack of wolves that was getting to close to my house. Maybe it is the same with the styles presented ? They do not correspond to our goals of distance, competition and leisure.
I can't remember who wrote it but a member had chatted with an old indian. His throwing style is specific. Who among us use it ? And who is comfortable with it ?
In the Middle-Ages, people lived in the countryside so they knew the slingshot. Kids, the monks had probably played with.

exactly what you said.
A middle aged man after seeing me sling described me how as kids they cut bark off trees to use them as slings until they dry . he didnt seem to be very keen with slings refered to them like I would talk about paper blowguns used at school to annoy others . some people just get by, others are keen and others over analytic

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #19 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 4:40pm

I do wonder who made this picture because he/she managed to paint a slinging scene better (and just be generally more skilled at art) than anyone else featured in that link for the next 200 years.

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2020 at 12:16pm by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar)