Send Topic Print
cord length Q. (Read 3811 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
cord length Q.
Jan 6th, 2016 at 11:54am

My question is about cord length,  I am working on a project,  that would include the minimal amount of cord. I was curious if anyone has any experience with slings that have minimal cord lengths. Talking about less then 2ft.  How it would work, what lengths were used, any issues I should look out for. I do know that shorter cords are better for accuarcy. I tried to search but it was acting up, that is why I am posting here.
Thanks
Ryan
The Question in general is. How short is too short for cords on a sling?

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Re: cord length Q.
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 2:56pm

The question of too short is mainly a question of  height, form, accuracy/power, and preference.

In general, taller men need bigger slings and thus also have longer slings for their "low" range compared to shorter men. Therefore height is a determining factor for many people. However, there are always exceptions like Luis Livermore who is 6'5" and regularly uses a 24 inch sling (center of pouch to base of loop) however his case is a question of form.

Because Luis uses the Balearic form, he is quite comfortable with a 24 inch sling for close range. Other throwing forms would struggle with slings this short just because of the mechanics of the style.

I'm 5'10" and I use a 25.5" sling with the Balearic form. This is my favorite length for accuracy and power at 20-60 meters with 135-150 gram rocks. This is where preference comes in. I know my slinging accuracy would improve with a 24ish inch sling but I choose a little longer because power is important to me as well.

For my shortest 23.75 inch sling my accuracy does improve but my body must do more work to throw with speed so I don't favor it. So in short, you must consider the accuracy/power trade-off as well.

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 3:43pm

height :165cm(5' 4.9")
after trying different lengths in the past:

max distance sling length: 90cm (feels light and that it should go faster but my arm has already reached its top speed,its like sling is using 70% of arm power )

prefered sling length: 62cm (throw feels smooth,its like sling is using 99% of arm power)

minimal sling length: 50cm (feels awkward,its like sling is using 50% of arm power)

but i started to believe that there is no ideal length for height but you feel the best with what you are used to or what you sling all the time with ,if you are talking about 40-110cm.

so if i had to choose between my arm and a 40cm sling i would choose my arm , its much more accurate and faster to reload Tongue

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 4:10pm

Ive never really liked anything much shorter than 30 inches myself. I find my form suffers from trying to make up for the loss of power.
Training with a short sling will make you better cause its easier to feel what the sling is doing.
I find my form is best with a longer sling. I dunno whether that's cause I'm lanky or cause the sling is moving slower.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 6:56pm

Thanks everyone for the information.
Ryan

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 9:11pm

I find heavier stones work better with longer slings. Longer lever- heavier weight. It makes sense anyways. Too long a sling with ammo that is too light and you run into the law of diminishing returns. And that doesn't take into account what 
happens to accuracy.

IP Logged

TobyC

if life gives you lemons
sling 'em back

palisades, NY
Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 9:18pm

I do cords by proportion of arm length-fingertip to shoulder for general purpose use, fingertip to elbow for accuracy, fingertip to sternum for distance/power.

when injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

IP Logged

Toby
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Nürnberg
Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 9:32am

Havent tried my newest creatin yet...

IMG_20160108_153103.jpg (330 KB | 120 )
IMG_20160108_153103.jpg

:slinger:                                             Mad Monkey

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 10:04am

@Toby,  when you do get a chance to work with that, could you give me your findings, on how well it performed,  and if it's a workable sling 
Thanks
Ryan

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 10:27am

LOL Tongue
Have you ever tried to wind a cord around a stone and throw it ? Like amentum/ankyle , but for stones. I think you will have similar results with the sling you made .

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #10 - Jan 16th, 2016 at 11:59pm

Agreed. Like with a pair of pants, the slinger's height/arm length is more important than an arbitrary length measurement alone Smiley

I base my slings off of the same measurement TobyC uses: my standard sling length (from mid-pouch to top of retention loop) is the distance from my shoulder socket to the same arm's outstretched fingertips. I'm 6' tall, and for me, that yields a 29"-30" medium sling. for my preferred "long" or "short", I simply add or remove a palm's-width (3.5-4 inches), although that's narrow margin is just personal taste.

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

abaddoneats
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 2:41am

Donnerschlag thanks for writing this what you use for measuring cord length....

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 6:16am

abaddoneats wrote on Jan 21st, 2016 at 2:41am:
Donnerschlag thanks for writing this what you use for measuring cord length....

I extend my fingers and arm as far as I can, and I measure the distance from my middle fingertip to my shoulder. Think of it as an extra-long cubit that goes the full length of my arm, instead of just half of it.  Wink

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

abaddoneats
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 9:11pm

Ja perfect. Thank you. I feel much better about my new baby I made yesterday I was thinking ist too long perhaps? But no. I just need pracktice lol

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man)