Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Absolute grippiest material possible (Read 3726 times)
Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Absolute grippiest material possible
Dec 4th, 2015 at 1:40pm

I've been thinking more and more that if used properly, skinny split pouch slings would be the most efficient.
I do find these skinny split pouches let the rock slip out more often and was wondering what you might suggest as the grippiest material to line the pouch arms with.
So far I'm thinking spray on rubber just enough to speckle/pebble the surface

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Re: Absolute grippiest material possible
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 2:25pm

Rocks are flying out even with leather coverings? If that's the case you may need a larger pouch or softer leather to cradle the rock better.

& to answer your question a grip spray would probably be your best bet. Something like Seymour's would work well, though my main concern would be a loss of flexibility on the sling once it dried even with light coating. Good luck!

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 3:52pm

medical tape works pretty well.

But the actual answer is a solid pouch Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 4:28pm

I've found skinny splits are very ammo size/weight specific ... too small or too light and the ammo will crawl out at the earliest opportunity and not wait for your release.

Skinny splits are also sensitive to how fast you accelerate the sling in your wind-up. Accelerate too fast and the ammo can stretch the split slightly and fall through. Cry
I saw Jax do this with a baseball sized sling. I could throw fine with it but Jax's acceleration was so great the ball would pop through like a button through a button hole. Shocked

Still a skinny split bigot. Cool

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 5:30am

What do you mean by skinny split pouch? 90% of my slings are split pouch , i have no major problems. 
Occasionally tiny smooth stones will slip through trying to tear the end of the split pouch ,or strangelly shaped and badly positioned will fly off. But i dont prefer tiny smooth little stones .

On trying to make a better sling : try it, experiment(cause its nice) but at the end of the day the simple old natural fiber wins. I've found that the more complex it becomes to make it, the worse it will be.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 5:48am

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll keep you posted

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 11:01am

@Parmenion
A thin round or flat braided sling where the split pouch sides are the same cord size as the slings cords 
pretty much what you posted here
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1446140154/8#8

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 8:50pm

I'd say the issue is probably your form/windup, not necessarily the sling itself. (unless you're using a super skinny split-pouch with a split 6 or 7 times longer than the ammo you intend to chuck with it. Then it's possible your ammo is just ill-suited to that sling.)
While you probably could coat the sling with something super grippy, you shouldn't need to. Work on your form instead. While some sling designs may be more forgiving than others, jerky windups with any sling rarely go well Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2015 at 6:56am by Donnerschlag »  

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 9:41pm

Bees wax is grippy. Even on a sissal split pouch. I agree with Donner. Pouch length is important. A five inch pouch is plenty long for something as big as a tball Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 10:18pm

I agree with donner in that its probably because of your form, i've had a similar problem with some of my tennis ball slings. It's all about having a build-up before the release so that the ammo isn't just "forced into the pouch" instead its slowly put into the position that its supposed to be in. So just fire a little slower for a little bit then find a way to add force to the ammo without just throwing as hard as you can. Smiley hopefully that helps.

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2015 at 3:18pm

As the other's said, pouch length, form, and ammunition weight may play a more important role than texture. The only time I've found texture to be an issue was with some kinds of plastic twine, any leather or other fibers worked just fine. Personally, I'd go with tarred bank line and maybe some medical tape. Slings that are too light just don't feel as good to me when you throw, especially the lower resistance ones.

Good luck and post some pictures when you finish!

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 2:03am

I also agree with Donnerschlag. He hit the  nail on the head I believe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, Kick)