Send Topic Print
Wild food (Read 15385 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Wild food
Reply #90 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 6:17am

Crab apples. They don't taste good off the tree, but they can be made into an applesauce that can be sweetened to your taste.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #91 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 11:36am

As far as the duckweed, you eat the whole plant, bloom, pad and roots. 

As the duckweed population explodes in water with high nitrogen and phosphates counts, like from cow manure  ( Roll Eyes), make sure you strain the plants out, wash with clean water and then bring the plants to a roiling boil for at least five minutes.

Or yooouuuu'llll be sorrrrriee... and probably 20 pounds lighter.   Grin

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #92 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 6:32am

Bill Skinner wrote on Aug 5th, 2017 at 11:36am:
As far as the duckweed, you eat the whole plant, bloom, pad and roots. 

As the duckweed population explodes in water with high nitrogen and phosphates counts, like from cow manure  ( Roll Eyes), make sure you strain the plants out, wash with clean water and then bring the plants to a roiling boil for at least five minutes.

Or yooouuuu'llll be sorrrrriee... and probably 20 pounds lighter.   Grin

Sounds like a new weight loss method.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #93 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 10:09am

So is it the high nitrogen and phosphates that cause the issues or the fact that its been in cow manure water?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #94 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:39pm

My ponds have duckweed.  Usually, it's just a few sprinkles here and there.  However, if they get fertilized, they explode and will cover the entire surface of the pond, sometimes up to an inch (25mm) thick.  They are free drifting, sometimes the wind will pile them up thicker.  That's when they are easiest to harvest, you can get a lot without much work.  And it will take a lot when you boil them that hot for a meal.

My neighbor fertilized his hayfield this spring, he used commercial fertilizer.  Then we got 30+ inches (about 1m)of rain in about three months and we got some of the run off in one of my ponds. 

When his hay field was a pasture, we got a massive out break every wet year or every time following a hurricane.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #95 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 8:00pm

Morphy, the chemicals are not good, but what Bill is referring to is bad bacteria from the cow poopy. Sad

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #96 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 8:44pm

Ok, I assumed as much. Ive never been a huge fan of cow manure. Just not my thing. I'm not prejudice, but I have my limits.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #97 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 8:52pm

#NotAllManure

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)