Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Wild food (Read 15393 times)
walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Wild food
Aug 11th, 2015 at 8:53pm

Acorns were the staff of life before wheat. The Emory oak produces a yearly crop of acorns that do not have to be leached to remove tannin. You can eat them as is. In Mexico, they are served in cantinas insted of of the peanuts or pretzels we (in the U. S.) are accustmed to. They call them belotta.
The tree

The fruit of the tree  Smiley

And the hungry bull elk

2015-08-11_17_04_49.jpg (1247 KB | 169 )
2015-08-11_17_04_49.jpg
2015-08-11_16_56_52.jpg (1289 KB | 158 )
2015-08-11_16_56_52.jpg

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Wild food
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2015 at 6:32am

True, but they require a lot of processing to get the tannic acids out. Best thing is to crush them and place them in a running stream until the tannins  are leached out. Not something for short term survival.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2015 at 10:09am

When I was in mexico earlier this year I found an almond tree and tried to open an almond. I could not get it open! I even tried pounding it with a rock and stomping and everything but that little nut prevailed. It even broke the rock I was using on it!
I would a starved lol

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 12:09am

slingbadger wrote on Aug 12th, 2015 at 6:32am:
True, but they require a lot of processing to get the tannic acids out. Best thing is to crush them and place them in a running stream until the tannins  are leached out. Not something for short term survival. 

True for most oaks, but not Emory Oak. The acorns from the Emory Oak are sweet straight from the tree.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 9:37am

My idea of wild food is to venture into the actual produce isle rather than the canned-veggie isle....

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 10:10am

coming up to my favourite time of the year.

The wild plums will be ripe in amonth or two and some blackberries are coming ripe already.

Nothing more pleasant than wandering with the dogs and munching as you go Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 12:21pm

Acorns, interesting. Can you make flour out of them ?

Wild food: i've eaten tiny wild strawberries (sour); boletus mushrooms (the ones with the yellow foam under the cap); and shellfish collected off the beach (quite delicious, gave me severe indigestion)

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 3:32pm

Thearos wrote on Aug 13th, 2015 at 12:21pm:
Acorns, interesting. Can you make flour out of them ?

Wild food: i've eaten tiny wild strawberries (sour); boletus mushrooms (the ones with the yellow foam under the cap); and shellfish collected off the beach (quite delicious, gave me severe indigestion)

With most acorns, making flour out of them is the easiest and fastest way of leaching the tannins.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 5:01pm

grape, plum, chokecherry, blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, mulberry, prickley pear pads and fruit, pecan, hickory, walnut, morel & chantrelle mushrooms, small game and birds, honey/honeycomb, I was never fond of field greens
lots of stuff out there to eat in the correct season.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2015 at 4:29am

How do you make flour from acorns ? Bake and grind ?

IP Logged

Cavemanzhi

Teaching stones to fly!

Cambridgeshire, UK
Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2015 at 6:27am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 13th, 2015 at 10:10am:
coming up to my favourite time of the year.

The wild plums will be ripe in amonth or two and some blackberries are coming ripe already.

Nothing more pleasant than wandering with the dogs and munching as you go Smiley

This is one of my favorite things since moving to the UK!  Wild blackberries are everywhere! A few of my neighbors have plum trees and apple trees that they don't mind me plucking from. Grin I even have a strawberry plant in my front yard that is starting to bear fruit, if I can just out smart the Jackdaws I'd get to eat more of them.

"Sir, that guy is stealing stones from the rock garden again."

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2015 at 8:19pm

For me and my family in Alaska,  wild food is 2 freezers full of salmon and moose for the winter  Smiley.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2015 at 3:10am

Thearos wrote on Aug 14th, 2015 at 4:29am:
How do you make flour from acorns ? Bake and grind ?

Crack the acorns open to remove the nutmeat and grind or smash the nutmeat with water to form a paste. Then the paste can be dried into flour (after leeching the tannins out.) The only way I know how is to mix equal parts cold water and acorn flour in a jar, store the jar in the fridge, pour off and replace a large portion of the water at least once a day, agitate the mixture at least once a day, and drain off all of the water (through cheesecloth) once the flour tastes bland instead of bitter. Usually takes less than a week, but not always. Definitely not a survival skill when done my way, and definitely shows why access to the ultra-low tannin Emory Oak would be a good thing.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2015 at 5:18am

Fussy, indeed. Tannins are unfit for human consumption in any quantities, I assume (people speak of tannins in red wine).

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2015 at 10:27am

Those are the same tannins. 

They will give you a case of constipation that will be fatal.  The western Native American tribes that depended heavily on acorns actually had plants with laxative side effects as part of their regular diet.

The way to leach tannins on a much larger scale is to prep as Mas said, then put them in a pillow case in running water.  You will have to agitate two or three times a day until the bitter taste is gone.  Then spread and dry in the sun.  You can use a T shirt in a survival situation. 

That is why I recommend dicing them as fine as you can instead of smashing them to a paste, they dry better and quicker.  They will mold up quickly, even if you dry them in an oven, after using tap water on them.  Once they are dry, grind them and freeze them.  (Stick them in a cheap coffee grinder and run them trough a couple of times on the finest setting, if they wad up, they need to dried some more.)

And they are less likely to cause digestive problems if you mix them with some other type of flour, such as corn meal.  Or cattail pollen or root flour.  But the tannins that remain will cause constipation if you don't drink lots of water.

And keep in mind that the tribes that depended  on acorns were mostly western tribes, the humidity is pretty low and it is usually sunny and hot and the acorns dried pretty quick.  Eastern tribes used chestnuts, hickory nuts, walnuts and several other different types of nuts instead of acorns for a reason.

And last, if you want to try this, white oaks have less tannins than red oaks.  Or, the darker yellower to orange the meat is, the more tannins you will have to  remove..   

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark)