Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Building a portable balearic target (Read 11673 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Building a portable balearic target
Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 5:56am

Cheers Thumbs Up
Have to admit I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.
fits nicely in the car as well.

well apparently there are force 9 gales battering the welsh coast today.

So we might have to tie it to a tree instead.
That's the beauty of having everything adjustable.

It doesn't strictly need two back supports - but with them and the stronger legs and thicker ply wood (or just 2 layers of the 9mm) you'd be able to sling rocks at it no problem.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 6:31am

Awesome shirt!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 1:09pm

yeah, my mate got it for me Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 4:23pm

Good job!  I like that!  And it is portable.  Any idea how much it weighs?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 4:36am

more than I first thought lol
the stick bundle is pretty light. But after lugging the target a couple of hundred yards or so, I wouldn't like to carry it any real distance.

We had the competition yesterday in bright sunshine on a sand dune.
don't know exact numbers of competitors, but I reckon 15 or so.
daves got the score sheet.

some misses and a couple of really good scores at both ends of the age spectrum.

Target was rock solid in a very stiff wind. So doesn't actualy need any modifications.

So the first neternational federation of slingers competition has been held in the uk ! Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 1:37pm

Going to make this an annual event?  Not really joking. 

It's traditional, (Hill Fort rock piles), it's something everybody can do, (more or less) it doesn't cost like a bow and arrows does and if you stick with tennis balls, the people you teach can practice in pretty near any fairly large open space.

And they can make their own slings pretty easy, too.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Jul 30th, 2015 at 2:18pm

lol we had a sling making workshop yesterday morning.

I was doing leather butterfly pouches and paracord,

It was my leather, paracord etc, so i was charging £2 a sling.
As I ended up with £64 I reckon we made 32 slings !  Which paid for my petrol and a few quid towards the b&b.
Very busy couple of hours

david was doing braided slings with stitched leather centres.  I call them shepherd slings - he calls them something else. Don't know if he was charging anything, or whether they used my leather or not.

Davids guys made at least 2 that i saw. really nice. Lot of stitching.

I also did a 'how to make sockballs' bit. So within an hour or two apparently it was chaos Smiley
Slings and kids and sockballs everywhere.
In fact i'd madea sling for one of the teenagers the previous evening and shown them how to make sockballs. So i think sockwars started the day before and got massively expanded.
Next year we'll figure a proper game to play with them. 

Sockballs are the ultimate harmless anti-personal ammo Smiley
I will make a video.

And yes This will definitely be an annual event. I'd like to teach a few more workshops next year as well (beginner and advanced slinging classes, more complicated paracord and leather slings and more simple ones with different templates), so will go down for at least another day.

Hopefully as people come back year on year we'll end up with a decent core of useful and experienced slingers from around the country. And hopefully start having competitions in other parts of the country as well.

I can break the target manufacture down into an easy to make instructable.

I don't like to admit it (lol) but David was right. Bushcraft events are the ideal place to teach slinging and hold competitions as you've got a captive audience who are willing to try something new.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #22 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 1:48am

That sounds like a good deal of fun. Man I wish I could take part. Stupid Atlantic Ocean always getting in the way..lol.

My slings take too long to make for anyone to really enjoy so I'd just be a demonstrator  Smiley

Now I need to find one of these "bushcraft" events you speak of!

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #23 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 8:08am

Signal at last!  Cheesy

That was an amazing event, everything I hope for. I have been teaching slinging there for three years now and it was really something to see people I have taught striking the Diana repeatedly!

The kids sock wars were hilarious and they got really good really quickly.

I showed off a staff sling yesterday, that made people's eyes light up.

C_A, can you Dropbox all the photos and video to me please? I want to do a post on BCUK. Also... Catering for an international event. Could you fit a BBQ in your car and put on a meal for international slingers?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 2:55pm

I'll mailbigfile them when I've sorted the colours out.
some idiot (whistle )  had the camera still set on 'nighttime taking pictures of fires' mode for the first round.

That said, the slower shutter speed did get me some really cracking action shots. Pretty sure I've got  at least one shot of everyone with an infilght tennis ball.
Didn't take any video.

Bung me a copy of the score sheet as well. Still reckon you got the winner wrong Wink
Didn't the kid score exactly the same as the bloke who won ? 

I was sure both had two hits and a centre with both sets of 5 shots.

Been thinking about charcuterie and outdoor workshops. The biggest issue is the lack of refrigeration. But could probably pull off a fast dry salami and maybe some traditional jerky. Saw a cracking jerky fire soemone had set up.

Far as the bbq - goes, same issue we'd need some reliable refridgeration and also a big arse bbq or two. Mine needs to be dismantled just to get it round the side of the house.  and it doesn't fit, even in my car. Borrowed a van the only time I ever transported it anywhere. Real pita.
The on site pizza oven is too small.
And hanging stuff over open fires doesn't really work for bulk.

We could get away with getting people to bring big gas bbq's and use those. I don't own a gas bbq Smiley

But I think a much better idea would be to have a bring and munch like on monday night. That way I don't spend 2 days preparing food and an evening cooking and serving, without getting paid.
I've got 3 large chafing dishes to keep hot stuff stuff warm, could get them in the car. But they each need about 2 litres of boiling water to get started. No idea how long it'd take to get cold water up to temp with a couple of gel burners. Suppose it could work like that - never tried it.

The other thing I was thinking of was holding an event up here - you know in the middle of the country where it's realy easy to get to Smiley
Couple of places we could do it. My current favourite would be the national forest adventure farm.
The two guys who run it are mates and always looking for something different to bring the punters in.

But to do any kind of international event we'd need sponsorship.  For accomodation, transport etc.

I need to have a chat with the guy who runs the event. There's a few workshops I'd like to do and and organised tournament of sock wars with 2-3 players on a team should be doable. 

Pic attached of the guy who won - gives you an idea of the competition setup.

winner_800x600.jpg (129 KB | 195 )
winner_800x600.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, LightSlinger)