Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Building a portable balearic target (Read 11671 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Building a portable balearic target
Jul 16th, 2015 at 10:47am

So david's having a teach in nd competition at bushmoot in a couple of weeks. And I'm going down with a target and some competition forms.

I've decide to build something pretty substantial but easy to transport. As I'm probably going to have to lug it a fair distance.

To which end my first acquisition is a 50cm centre disc.

The ones I already have are 1mm steel and only 40cm diameter.

My new one is 3mm aluminium, predrilled for a 6mm bolt (of which I have lots)
This should be tough enough to last a long time and won't rust Smiley
And cost me 10 minutes of my time sorting out a java issue this morning Smiley

I've decided to make the target itself fold in half on the vertical axis.

Which just takes a couple of hinges at the joint and a couple of deadbolts to hold it together. Also means i can fit handles for easy carrying. 

So I'll make the basic frame and then screw two 120x60cm pieces of plywood on. I'll also need a crosspiece for the disc bolt and a support for the base of the disc, to avoid bending the bolt.
Screws rather than nails, so the plywood can be easily changed when needed.
6mm bolts for everything else.

Still working on how to make the stand. Unfortunately my usual partner in crime is currently on holiday lol

So I'm going to have a go at modelling a mini target for ideas this afternoon Smiley

More over the next week or so.

discanddog_800x599.jpg (155 KB | 252 )
discanddog_800x599.jpg

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Building a portable balearic target
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 9:10am

Great stuff CA.  Cool

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 2:47pm

That will be cool. I like the idea of making it sturdy and portable. Don't forget to post the finished picture CA Wink

Are you guys rattle can painting your rocks? or using some way to collect them? ie backstop.

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 12:01pm

been to b&q
While we were waiting for the man who could use the saw. Had a chat with the guy helping me and decided that if I chose a ratty looking sheet of plywood it would be cheaper Smiley
At some point it will be destroyed, so who cares what it looks like Smiley

Ended up with 4 sheets of 60x120cm 12mm plywood for £18
£6 cheaper than the usual price.
And weirdly if you bought the sheets ready cut they were £25 each. As opposed to buying one very big piece of plywood and gettig them to chop it into size for you - which would have been £24 without the 'tatty wood' discount.
Crazy.
It's actually £1 cheaper to buy a huge sheet of plywood, get a 120x60cm panel cut out of it and throw the remaining 3/4 away. Than it is to buy a single sheet of 120x60cm plywood.
Now if you can see the logic in that - you're stranger man than me.

And yes I know 12mm is pretty thin plywood - but once the frame is built I'll be able fairly quickly swap damaged sheets or thin sheets for thick sheets.
The proper full spec balearic targets use 25 or 30 mm I would think.
Pricewise that was actually pretty good. But too heavy to carry any real distance. 

This stuff should be strong enough for tennis balls and clay balls (I'll take the orange clay balls with me for david and I to play with Smiley )

Pretty much finalised the design.

Going to make the main target fold in half for carrying and the cross pieces holding it solid with bolts under the disc to protect them.

Legs going for a sort of 'A' frame.

So straight legs coming down from each side that hold the target 1metre off the ground. And two slanting bracing pieces keeping it upright - would have been one for a proper A frame. But I figure 2 will be stronger and a lot more stable.
I'll 3d print some plastic feet that will also double as holders for cross brace timber.
I'll do that front and back. The back bracing will also be used to put weights on to prevent it toppling forward.

Everything held together with 6mm steel bolts.

And nothing longer than 120cm both for ease of loading and carrying. Longer pieces will be drilled and bolted so they'll break down into shorter pieces.

I'll take pictures as I go Smiley 

The remaining wood will come from breaking down the slingfest 2008 target frames and any odds and ends from the big box of scrap in my shed.

The bolts I bought for slingfest 2008. And I'm pretty sure I've got hinges in the shed. So the only real outlay is the plywood.
The only stuff i saw that might have been nickable, uh recyclable  Wink
Was a bit too obvious and much too close to home  lol

What i should have done was collect all the corrugated plastic election banner things after the election and recycled them. Use half a dozen sheets of that packed pretty tight and it'd be quite tough.

Oh well, maybe next time whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2015 at 9:09am

Had a think. And decided I'd print a bracket and foot attachment thingy and try with just the one supporting leg to start with.

This way It'll be adjustable for angle if I can't find a flat spot to put it.

And yeah, these days 3d printing is like duct tape for me. I just don't feel it's right unless it's used lol

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2015 at 10:47am

Pics please. 

I think the plywood will hold up pretty well, as long as you don't start or allow the "shield breakers" to be thrown at them.  After all, 12mm plywood is pretty close to what Roman shields were, back in the day.

Maybe put a slab of old carpet on it to spread the impact and cushion the impact? 

Remember, I'm not carrying it. Grin

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2015 at 2:04pm

Paint it into quadrants! It would be interesting to see where most of your shots hit. High and to the inside for example would let you know you're probably a power slinger while lower shots indicate your shots dropping.
Would make it easy to track your habits.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2015 at 6:20am

lol okay - first, I don't do painting Smiley
Spent an entire summer one year painting a local laboratory complex from top to bottom. Cured me of paintbrushes for life Smiley

second - it's actually 9mm - I read the wrong shelf lol
So this will be tennis balls and other non-stone items only.
Or real gentle slinging with clay balls. 

Hell I could put  a golf ball through it without any problems. 

So current state of play:

Folding frame made - remember not to take the width of the wood away twice from each piece before cutting the 4 crosspieces whistle

Playwood fitted frame perfectly - wahey ! - and is now screwed on.

Front legs have been cut, drilled and bolted.
Bracket to attach support leg to back of target has been designed, made and attaches to leg perfectly after minor sanding.

Next is making the bracket for the foot. That'll be larger so feet can be attached for stability and to put weights on to keep it still.
Likewise I need to make feet for the from legs so  crosspiece can be bolted across - again for stability and to put weights on.

Other than printing the feet it's pretty much just drilling bolt holes in things and bolting it all together.

My only real problem is that it's too big to work on opened up in my shed and it's rainig. I'd rather keep it dry as long as possible. So working on it opened up is trickey.

Changing the plywood in the future will entail unscrewing the 18 screws, replace with new wood and redrill the 7 bolt holes.   
Pictures show: folded & unfolded without plywood, plywood fitiing perfectly and disc in the middle.
Can't be arsed to go downstairs now and tale pic of the bracket attached to leg so here's a pic of it before printing instead Smiley

with_disc_800x600.jpg (100 KB | 209 )
with_disc_800x600.jpg
balearicbackplate.png (13 KB | 215 )
balearicbackplate.png

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2015 at 2:49pm

I'm worried that the screws holding those hinges for the center aren't biting into the wood far enough in for the pressure they will be under. Maybe put a third or fourth hinge in the center ? Looks cool though CA Wink

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2015 at 7:30am

the hinges won't be under any pressure.
There will be three places behind the target where I'll have crosspieces bolted either side of the plywood to prevent it moving.

One where the target bolt goes through with a bolt either side and longer pieces at the back. One for the support foot mounting plate and one at the bottom of the target. These will have wood batons either side clamping the plywood.
And they will be behind the target so won't get hit.
Likewise there will be a crosspiece between the two front feet that will also hold it open.

Putting stuff thorugh the plywood is far more likely thatn any pressure on the hinges. And they're pretty good screws.

Eventually I'll probably buy some longer hinges - but these'll do for now.

Booked my B&B monday night and tuesday night Smiley
Tuesday we'll have the competition and I'll meander back sometime wednesday.

Should be fun Smiley

weather forecast says. Cloudy with rain and some sunny spots - ie: it's wales, it's going to rain but just in case it doesn't, they've hedged their bets lol

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 7:30am

o well slinging in the rain is better then no slinging. I know you worked hard on the target, but I kinda think it would be cool to see it all devastated by slinging stones Cool

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 12:35pm

lol maybe after the competition.

forecast for the weekend is pretty awful - so it'll be pretty muddy by the time I get there.

Why is it I mostly sling wearing wellies ?

Actually that's probably what i did wrong in mallorca - no wellies Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 1:38pm

Right target MK 1  finished yesterday - couple of things I'd like to do but run out of time for.
Double thickness legs and two back supports linked like the front legs are.

My only concern is that a good hit on the front legs might hit a knothole and break them. Should be fine with tennis balls.

Pictures pretty much self explanatory.

It's a lot tougher than it looks I 'field tested' it with the rubber mallet. And apart from a tendency to turn slightly when hit hard at a top corner. It was extremely sound.
Made a few black marks and some slight dents. But no sign of anything failing.

The turning would be fixed by adding a second back support and joining the two together.
The plastic brackets are a lot stronger the they look and as I mixed a triangular solid infill with a thick shell, surprisingly durable as well. 
Plus I've got spares Smiley
And I can always make them stronger if it proves necessary.

I've actually got the double thick wood for stronger legs, but didn't  have any bolts long enough.

The whole thing breaks down into two easily carried packages. The legs and supports etc are fairly light. The target and disc - not so much lol
So adding stronger legs and an extra back support - wouldn't make it any harder to carry.  Just balance you out  a bit more.

The bolts on the back support and front leg brackets will have the bolt shafts pointing down to act as anchoring points (bit like tent pegs) and it's designed so weights can be placed on both front and back to add stability.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out

It's bang on spec too !
The top bar is 220cm - about 7foot 4 off the ground. Centre of disc is exactly 160. basically my head is dead centre of the disc - which makes sense if you think about it Wink

It's been absolutely piddling down all day here, so i doubt walse has been any dryer.
Oh well, guess come wednesday I'll have gills Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 2:16pm

The disc is duck taped to the side of the target, you can't see it in the picture Smiley

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 9:30pm

I think you did a great job. That is awesome. I like the single back support too. I was thinking you needed a double I dunno why. I'm impressed CA!

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, LightSlinger, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)