Danebury Finds (Read 4423 times)
Rob_Tye
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

York, UK
Danebury Finds
Mar 10th, 2015 at 7:30am

Hi All.

Just one topic I want to raise – connected to the excavation of the Iron Age Hill fort at Danebury.

I should mention I am quite knowledgeable regarding historical weight standards   Smiley, but know little about historical weapons  Sad.

The very eminent archaeologist Cunliffe found the remains of lots of stone balls at Danebury.  Only 3 complete ones, burnt fragments of 65 others.  These are not far off spherical but with a flat base, and had an iron ring fixed in the top.  They seem to weigh heavy - 500g to 3KG - with most of them probably originally weighing 2KG plus.  There are two excavation reports available to download if anyone wants the full details (big files)

Cunliffe thought they were most likely metrological weights.  But could not find any consistent weight standard in them. Biggs extended this idea to them being weights but to no standard – which I make an oxymoron    Huh.

There is a whole bunch of other things these might be - some kind of heavy loom weight, or tethers from animal husbandry, or fishing weights, or weights to secure thatching nets are all possibles.  But the thing is, an awful lot of work went into making them, more than would seem appropriate for most of those uses.  So I am wondering if they were a very heavy form of bola perdida?

Similar objects have only been reported from one other English Iron Age site as far as I can see (Winklebury).  So if they are a weapon their use might well have been just an idiosyncrasy of the local Celtic tribe.  Which might imply they never caught on elsewhere and so were maybe not all that effective really?

Any thoughts welcome!

Rob

https://independent.academia.edu/RobertTye

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Danebury Finds
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 7:49am

nah - not bola or any kind of related sling stone.

been to danebury, been to the local museum. Don't remember these.
Badger, david - ring any bells ?
But yep most likely a tool of some description.
Definitely sound like weights for a scale type balance.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 6:45am

Oh, yeah. still have the book I bought about the excavations.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rob_Tye
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

York, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 4:27am

Interesting piece of eristic –  a signature hallmark of 21st century sub-archaeological culture.

Not a surprise.  The destruction of rationality has been at the heart of the archaeological project right back the anthropological doings of Boas

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 12:50pm

Rob_Tye wrote on Mar 12th, 2015 at 4:27am:
Interesting piece of eristic –  a signature hallmark of 21st century sub-archaeological culture.

Not a surprise.  The destruction of rationality has been at the heart of the archaeological project right back the anthropological doings of Boas

Can we have that in english ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 1:29pm

He's saying that you didn't offer any proof about why you don't think the stone balls could be bolas, and that he'd prefer it if you'd explain yourself a little more.

Rob, 2-3 kg is about equal to the mass of a brick. Devastating to be hit with, but relatively slow flying if thrown by hand. It would be most useful if thrown into a crowd. I doubt it would be worth the effort to shape them if they were means to be bolas. Is there any evidence of seige weaponry at the site?

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rob_Tye
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

York, UK
Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 3:58pm

Massi > He's saying that you didn't offer any proof about why you don't think the stone balls could be bolas, and that he'd prefer it if you'd explain yourself a little more.

Spot on

Massi >, 2-3 kg is about equal to the mass of a brick. Devastating to be hit with, but relatively slow flying if thrown by hand. It would be most useful if thrown into a crowd.

Yes – I was thinking about use against something like a testudio attack at the gate

Massi >  I doubt it would be worth the effort to shape them if they were meant to be bolas.

Yes – I thought that too.  Then I thought maybe some kind of rustic field sport – along the lines of throwing the hammer – which is not that far from a bola perdida.  But I am not sure Iron Age folk could fix an iron loop into stone firmly enough to actually tie off from, for that sort of thing.  Does not rule it out, but…….

Massi > Is there any evidence of siege weaponry at the site?

Not that I know of.  There was a huge stockpile of normal size sling shot stones – which also is a kind of negative.

The real problem is that there is no explanation that makes really good sense.  They look like weights, but do not adhere to any weight standard as far as we can see.  And people started making rather accurate stone metrological weights more than 4,000 years back in Persia and India.  Celtic coins can be very uniform indeed in weight.  So the archaeological idea that they are (metrological) weights does not make much sense either.

Praps they were into keep fit, and used ‘em for working out?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 6:06pm

I thought that, too, but the similar kettlebell from Russia was based on the weights from scales used to measure goods at market. They had to be uniform. Likewise, dumbbells were meant to closely approximate the resistance of a church bell on a rope and were standardized. The same is true for Indian clubs. Halteres are an ancient Greek form of dumbbell used to increase jumping distance in the long jump and I don't know of any predecessor that they're meant to replicate. If they show similar variance then it may mean the Danebury rocks are for exercise, but I'd think it's unlikely.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 9:00pm

I do not think it was a tether for some type of grazing animal, it is either too light for something like a horse or ox and too heavy for something like a sheep or goat. 

When spooked or startled, horses and donkeys have been known to pull up some fairly large bushes and small trees. 

A goat and possibly a sheep would chew the line attached to it in half.  Not real familiar with sheep.

Is there a large body of water close by?  Could it be a weight for a net or fish trap or possibly for retting flax?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 6:33am

No, the nearest creek was several miles away. There was a well on the site.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 7:32am

thought it was pretty obvious. Stupidly heavy bolas weren't used by anyone and bolas themselves are not evident in usage in britain.
It's the sort of idea only an historian could even contemplate Smiley

Seriously 1.5kg of stone swinging round your head on three ropes. It's a good way to commit suicide.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 2:33pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 7:32am:
thought it was pretty obvious. Stupidly heavy bolas weren't used by anyone and bolas themselves are not evident in usage in britain.
It's the sort of idea only an historian could even contemplate Smiley

Seriously 1.5kg of stone swinging round your head on three ropes. It's a good way to commit suicide. 

More probably 2-3kg on 1 rope. Still not a great or even a good idea. Really slow and with a ton of drop at distance.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 5:53pm

There's a traditional sikh weapon that looks a lot like a cart wheel with chains and weights hanging off it.

The idea is to get it spinning at high speed and then - presumably - use it to entangle an enemie, or enemies weapons weapons. But once they've got it spinning it actualy looks a lot more dangerous to the spinner than to any enemy.

A 3kg bolas would be a similiar idea.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 9:05pm

Another silly, suicidal Indian weapon. That culture... SMH...  oh ya... weed grows prolifically over there. It's starting to make more sense.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)