Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Semisling (Read 9144 times)
Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Re: The Semisling
Reply #30 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 11:52am

I do wonder in what context the semisling is mentioned in the book. Was it a native invention or something the author made himself?

Morphy wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 9:04am:
Wow! Good find Slyngorm!

Welp, that is what happens if your scourge the archives for information. This is the oldest thread with a title containing the phrase "staff sling".

Morphy wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 9:04am:
Yes this weapon is far too simple to have not be created around the world many hundreds if not thousands of times individually throughout history. It never took off so we can assume it does not have enough advantages to have become a well known weapon, at least not in its simplest form.

That is a discussion in an of itself that could be applied to every topic in the world.
So, maybe?

If I am to apply my Ranged weapon's chart grades to this one:
Simplicity: 8
just below a sling

Durability: 8
same as a sling

Surroundings: 6
bit better because a stick is easier to control and you can use it like a staff sling

Weather: 10

same

Distance: 3?
same as a sling?

Rate of fire:7
same as a sling

Possible targets: 3
same as a sling

practice: 5
far better than a sling

Suppleness: 4
depends on the size

Stealth factor: 8
same as a sling

Ammunition specialization: 8
same as a sling

Ammunition manufacturing: 9
same as a sling

Out of all the grades there isn't much of a difference. It is slightly (SLIGHTLY) more difficult to make. It is as supple as an atlatl (depending on size) which is its main downside compared to a sling. It can throw just as long (right?) and most importantly it is far easier to use.

The last point is the most interesting since it would offer a very clear advantage to a sling with few disadvantages. The real question is if it really is easier to use (same with every other grade, haven't used one ya know). And if so comes the question of why was it never used to any large extend.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #31 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:22pm

So i like every score you gave it but just from my experience the distance was no where near a slings. Of course my first one wasnt optimized but even so I think the trade off, at least in my mind, is less power but easier to be accurate.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #32 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:25pm

If you search for "skepifletta" you will find many on the forums mentioning a viking weapon that consisted of a stick in which you placed a stone and then threw with.

All people on the internet (also on other forums) can say about it is that one or two sources mentions it.
Now "skepi" sounds like the norse word "skjeppe" which is a measurement, so maybe a container of sort.
And "fletta" sounds like braiding.

So if you imagine morphy's semisling just with a braided pouch this is pretty close.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)