Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flat Cords or Round Cords? (Read 3060 times)
CodeMaker
Descens

top score: 13

Pennsylvania, USA
Flat Cords or Round Cords?
Jun 2nd, 2014 at 10:45pm

What are your experienes with the advantages/disadvantages of flat cords vs round cords? Does one twist more or less than the other? Which will make a louder "crack"? Any affect on durrability? Accuracy? Power?

I'm trying to make a "braided" sling out of a single strand of a realatively thin cord (probably around 2mm, but I'm not sure yet. Too thin will be impossible to work with, and too thick won't have the desired affect) in a single, continuous knot. I'm wondering if I should figure out a transition from the pouch (a wide, flat "braid" with a small split in the middle) to a tapering round braid (or rather a long turks head knot, since it's only one strand) for the cords. Or should I just taper the flat braid of the pouch down to a smaller flat braid as the cords? Or maybe the lower part of the cords should be flat and the upper parts round? Let me know what you think. It's been far too long since I've put my knot skills to the test   Cool

"Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss" - Judges, 20:16&&&&for all you right handed suckers out there Tongue

IP Logged

Roreuqnoc
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Mount Vernon, WA
Re: Flat Cords or Round Cords?
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2014 at 10:49am

Id assume that a flat cord would slow down your maximum twirlling speed just based aerodynamics. I like to ensure my release tab has a parachute quality to slow it down once released, i think it gives cleaner release of the glande

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2014 at 12:52pm

There is a slight amount of difference between the two, but I'd say most people wouldn't notice.

Aside from aesthetics, round braids are a little more flexible and are generally utilized with mid weight slings, while flat braids are used from light to very heavy weight slings. Flat braids are easier to do with loose fibers and look more traditional. Round braids have a little less air resistance and will fold up better in your pocket.

I have used dozens of flat braided Balearic style slings, but my current preference is a Balearic inspired sling with a 4 strand round braid which splits into two 5 strand flat braids for the pouch (extra strands are spliced in a few inches above the pouch).

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

algorias
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2014 at 3:25pm

A tapered cord will give you a far louder crack than a non-tapered one. I am guessing that might be because a larger part of the tip breaks the sound barrier. Whips are also heavily tapered, and they're specifically made for cracking.

I am experimenting with flat retention cord and round release cord. I like the flat braid for retention because it's fast and easy to load the sling without looking. The finger loop is also easier to make and looks cleaner (if I make a round retention cord, I usually join the fingerloop in a flat braid and then transition to a round braid).

For the release cord I like a tapered round braid. Flat braids are hard to taper cleanly if you're working with relatively thick cordage as opposed to loose fibers. With a round braid you can just make cords vanish into the core. I think I'll post a sling of this design soonish over in the pictures thread, just haven't been 100% happy with what I've made recently.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2014 at 4:40pm

Dan wrote on Jun 3rd, 2014 at 12:52pm:
There is a slight amount of difference between the two, but I'd say most people wouldn't notice.

Aside from aesthetics, round braids are a little more flexible and are generally utilized with mid weight slings, while flat braids are used from light to very heavy weight slings. Flat braids are easier to do with loose fibers and look more traditional. Round braids have a little less air resistance and will fold up better in your pocket.

I have used dozens of flat braided Balearic style slings, but my current preference is a Balearic inspired sling with a 4 strand round braid which splits into two 5 strand flat braids for the pouch (extra strands are spliced in a few inches above the pouch).

I honestly prefer a "square" braid. AKA a 5 strand or a 7 strand. Or I use a 4 strand flat, or a 3 strand (actually 6) roundish braid.
If you taper from a flat to a very stiff, fairly thin tip, you can make slings crack like a .22LR
I actually have been braiding the last couple inches of my best slings from leather.
I'll post a tutorial someday.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2014 at 3:46pm

Tried many of both and I just can't understand using flat cords for something that is going to be twirled in all directions.  I understand some people prefer them and that's cool. Personally paracord is my favorite.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 5:42am

One of the problems I see with round braided cords is that they can hide twist in the cords.
especially the more strands is used in the round braid.

This twist is usually introduced after a cast due to the way the sling flops about after a cast.

If the sling is quickly grabbed and reloaded (speed shooting) you may discover you have
reloaded your sling with a twist in the round braided cord and thus if you do continue to sling without taking it out, the shot may end up slightly more erratic.

This twist, depending on how severe it is, can affect your sling release, as its effect
is magnified when the cords put under tension when slinging.

Many of us use braided slings because these have an advantage over simple 2-ply and higher twisted cords. The braided strands, when tensioned, cancel each other out and is stays straight, unlike a twisted cord, that when put under tension, twists. Having twists in our round braid thus conflicts with us using braided cords in the first place.

Taking these twist out after each shot with a paracord-thin sling is a chore, and would be extremely annoying in a situation under stress, and drastically reduces reload speed.

But, I agree that round braided cords twirl easier in all directions. You can sling with less wrist movement. It also feels like they cut through the air better.

And much worse than a somewhat twisted round braid is an innately warped, badly done flat braid.

In the end it is a personal matter what to choose.

I now have multiple slings with round cords achieved differently, hemp round cords with complete
whipping. Similarily I have to straighten the cords out after
each shot and this takes longer than with a flat cord. But when straightened out properly it's a dream to use with good ammo. Similar to efficient round cords that are straightened out properly.

But for the sake of practicality, ease of manufacture, and if I balance it all against each other, for a workhorse sling, I am currently inclined towards flat cords. Although I have alot of sympathy for round cords.

I don't mind the extra wrist movement that comes with flat cords all that much.
An experiment may be to combine both round and flat. Make the fingerloop a round braid.
and then after the fingerloop is done transition to a flat cord. This way you have a more
efficient swivel point. But then again, this may go against the reasons for opting for flat cords
in the first place.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 9:24am

It’s a trade off .
Too resistant to sideways torque and it’s a nightmare to gain pouch control and form needs to be perfect .

Too floppy and you can’t control pouch orientation at all. There’s for some re a middle ground. And ammunition plays a role

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 9:37am

Ive never been able to see a difference in accuracy between the two. As IG mentioned it may be that one is more forgiving but if so Ive never seen the difference. One way to test this kind of thing is to take both to their logical extreme then look for differences. Make a 1.5 to 2 inch wide, very stiff flat braid and compare it to paracord.

Ive never seen a problem with paracord or any other supple cord getting tangled in good ammo. For me thats either poor ammo or just as likely, a fault in the throwing style.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 10:07am

Like I said, it actually plays both ways .
A supple flexible cord can be more forgiving. Depending on style.
As a flat stiff (to twist) braid can be also.

The main denominator is the slinger. I know we all have different biomechanics and to think that there is a perfect sling is a fallacy. Any one can become as accurate as anyone else with any style and any sling. It’s just some styles , slings, body types, etc have an advantage at reducing the learning curve.

Any wannabe/new slinger out there, it’s all up to you. You can’t do it without doing it. Practice makes progress

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 10:39am

I used to love flat braids, but coming back to slinging after a year-and-a-bit hiatus, I much prefer round braids.

For one, I seem to have this unnatural and evil affinity to twist my flat braids, even when I'm being careful! Cry

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 11:34am

You could of course have best of both worlds by making the retention cord a flat braid and the release cord a three ply twist, like this sling: https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/E_Oc1980-Q-1037">https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/E_Oc1980-Q-1037

Generally my Balearics keep the flat-braid with same number of strands, all the way up the release cord. I think I'd sooner opt for the comfort of a flat-braid release (rope-burn effect) than a round braid that rotates easier.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 12:51pm

I dont understand the rope-burn effect, what's that

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick)