Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
World record lead gland throw! (Read 12356 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: World record lead gland throw!
Reply #45 - Jul 17th, 2022 at 1:17am

So, I have been playing around with distance slinging lately. (Inspired by some here) and have learned a few thing playing around with trajectory (with drag) calculators as well as having a radar gun to see what my initial velocities are.

Today I had a throw with a 1m long sling that was 69 m/s release speed with a 74g stone at probably less than 30 degrees loft angle and it only went 253 m. (stones were painted fluorescent yellow and I used a laser range finder from the spot I found it which couldn't have been far from where it landed given the very soft ground which was a ploughed field)  I was surprised I wasn't getting a bit further given that a previous throw went 240m and was only ~58 m/s (but lofted higher).

From using the calculator, (the loft I varied between 25-32 degrees to see the effect on distance and drag coefficient) the drag coefficient of the stone had to be around 0.25-0.33. If you assume 0.3 for the drag coefficient of a stone, then Larry had to have hit damn near 100 m/s to get to 437 m. The other interesting tidbit is that by going to 2000m in elevation, one get about a 10% boost in distance because the drag is much reduced. (air is about 80% of the density). Larry would have likely thrown just over 400m at sea level.

I think that David Engvall must have been throwing in the high 70's low 80's to get to his record, given the aerodynamic nature of his ammo.

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2022 at 11:23am by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #46 - Jul 17th, 2022 at 2:11am

I want to mention that I make a simplifying assumption, the ratio of cross sectional area to weight is that of a sphere, which makes calculations easier but also could lead to some erroneous results. But I think there is probably less than 10% error in the calculated velocity for their throws.

John R.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #47 - Jul 17th, 2022 at 6:26am

If we don't know for certain that the distance was measured from where the stone impacted vs where it was found, it could be significantly lower velocity than we predict.
A stone might skip 50+ meters on hard flat ground, and finding where it impacted would be quite difficult I imagine.
So perhaps he was instead throwing 380m with a stone?
100m/s seems a bit unfathomable to me. (unless Larry could pitch 90+mph barehanded)
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2022 at 6:29am by Archaic Arms »  

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #48 - Jul 17th, 2022 at 11:22am

I agree it seems like an astronomical speed, but based on the info I have currently, that is what the data suggests. I've seen 1 slinger reach that speed, but he was using a 2m long sling, lead glands and pirouette. (Video analysis suggested 95m/s over the last 1/4 turn of his throw, and from my analysis of your and my throws, AA, I know that is an underestimation).  So it seems that it is indeed possible. But how Larry did it with only a 51" sling... It's just nuts.

John R.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #49 - Jul 18th, 2022 at 6:58am

69ms doesn't seem astronomical.

I've thrown stones that far and further, the flight time would seem about right.

Although given the stone is essentially decelerating for most of the distance I'd think the initial launch speed would be significantly higher.

Somewhere between a 30 and 35 degree launch angle seems to be the sweet spot.

Jaegoor always says 45 is better, but you just have to draw the travel arc to see that's wrong.

I like the scientific approach Smiley

So a 39 inch sling.
With the right ammo you should be able to hit around 300metres with a stone, I've seen you sling, you've got the technique and speed.

With Larry it's his throwing style that's the key.
It's as optimised as I suspect it's possible to get.

He started with baseball pitcher mechanics and improved from there.

It's a unique style and the hardest to replicate I've ever come across.
On a good throw he falls flat on his face and even the energy of the fall goes into the sling.

I've used the sling he used and held the stone.
Nothing remarkable about either.

I've also seen him outthtow a golf driving range by a significant distance.
How far,  we'll never know, but the gokfball was still in the up phase of the arc when it went over the ranges boundary fence.

It's a technique that only really works with a really long sling.

But if you want to break the record, even with lead, you'll probably need to copy his style.

AS far as I know, the only footage of him throwing is in the videos I shot of us playing slinggolf.

The only other person I know who used the same style, was larrys nephew Troy.
He'll be in his late twenties now. I met him in 2007
If he kept up the slinging, he could be the best candidate for creating a lead glande record on the planet Smiley

I recommend practicing the style on a beach, so you've got a soft landing when you fall forward.

The only time I succeeded in successfully copying the throwing style was on chesil beach, and the splash was too far Away to see.
Even a pebble beach is soft enough to fall into Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #50 - Jul 18th, 2022 at 7:09am

With a pirouette style, you need to use the double rotation style for any real distance
.that's the one where you are using a helicopter windup as you pirouette.
If you time the release at the point where the pirouette has you facing forward, it generates significant velocity.

A pirouette by itself just doesn't generate that much speed as the sling can only move as fast as the slinger can spin.

That's the beauty of the helicopter pirouette, your own body rotation is added to how fast you can spin the sling overhead.

It's still not a patch on Larry bray's style for energy transferred into the sling missile, but it's still better than most other distance styles.

And also quite tricky to nail.

I would think. It would probably suit you IG.
You've got the flexibility and body speed to really nail a double pirouette throw.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #51 - Jul 18th, 2022 at 10:51am

Thanks CA.

I actually meant that 100m/s seems astronomical. That is the speed I've calculated that Larry must have hit for his WR throw. ( using a trajectory calculator with drag on a 50g stone https://www.desmos.com/calculator/on4xzwtdwz) ; David Envall's throw was likely in the 70's to low 80's (drag is so much lower on the dart)

I believe I achieved 300 m about a month ago, but have no way of verifying it. I was slinging across the Columbia River which was 400m (range finder) across and I was just guessing how close I was getting to the other side. I had a few throw that, at the time, I thought were within 50m of the other side, but again, no way to verify.  So I'll just have to keep trying.   I also think 300m with a stone should be doable.

John R.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #52 - Aug 24th, 2023 at 10:30am

I feel like I should update this post.

In August 2022, I was able to throw a 56g concrete glande about 330-340m (assuming very little roll after impact) with only a 66 m/s release velocity.

I've since probably thrown a clay glande close to 400m, albeit downhill by about 30m. (There was a tree 408m away and I heard the glande hit, much louder than when they would hit the ground).

Jlasud measured a 350m throw, timpa has thrown 300m+ (over a frozen lake) and there are a few others who aren't on the forum who I know mentioned 300m+ throws.

With these data points (among others), my best guess is that an optimal throw with a stone can achieve an effective drag coefficient of about 0.2 to 0.25 and that Larry's throw had to have been somewhere between 80 to 85 m/s release speed. Still crazy high, but achievable. Archaic Arms has measured an 82 m/s projectile velocity, and this is was probably closer to 85 m/s release velocity.  The best release velocity I've measured with a similar sized stone is 77 m/s (thus far).  So, in conclusion, Larry was really good, but there are slingers that can probably match his throw under the right conditions (perfect release, no wobble and doesn't catch the wind wrong).
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2023 at 12:17pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick)