Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
World record lead gland throw! (Read 12339 times)
Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Re: World record lead gland throw!
Reply #30 - May 1st, 2014 at 12:56pm

It's incredibly rare to get pond ripples on a body of water large enough to sling big distsnces on. I live on a 120 acre lake and almost never see ripples travel out from the impact...usually the wind is just enough to break the water. It's like drawing on an etch a sketch that someone else keeps shaking.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #31 - May 1st, 2014 at 2:29pm

To me, Larry Bray's style looks like an amped-up, super-"Byzantine" style.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #32 - May 1st, 2014 at 4:25pm

I think the pouches are weaker than 550 pounds.
BTW if you want to add some serious weight to paracord- gut it, and take fairly thin lead solder and put that in the core instead. works so well....
My highest performance slings with somewhat small rocks are peacefuljeffery type slings, made from lead-core paracord mentioned above. Rather long, and the pouch, weighing about an oz, allows a person to launch light projectiles extremely fast(IMO compared to my other slings)

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #33 - May 15th, 2014 at 3:58pm

I would use a 38" jute TS3.  My ammo would be a football shaped 3 oz. tungsten glande.  I have no idea how I'd mark the end of it's flight.  I've used a creek arm and Google Earth to get an estimate of my distance in the past but for an official record I'd need more accuracy.  I guess Arcane Tinker's idea about the frozen lake would work.   I'd have to experiment with the weight of my glande.. maybe a 4 oz. would be better. I dunno!

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #34 - May 15th, 2014 at 7:48pm

Honestly, a 1.5 oz and a longish sling seems to work better for me.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #35 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 1:46pm

from what i understood larry bray throw is: facing away from the target you bring the sling up to an optimal rotating speed, then run/jump/stride towards the target while rotating the torso towards the target while doing a heli type movement and then fall javelin thrower style?

Am i right?

also do we know the details of the style Yurek used?

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #36 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 2:00pm

johan wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 1:46pm:
... also do we know the details of the style Yurek used?

I think his style is pretty consistent, his collection of Youtube videos is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrJugas/videos

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #37 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 2:49pm

johan wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 1:46pm:
from what i understood larry bray throw is: facing away from the target you bring the sling up to an optimal rotating speed, then run/jump/stride towards the target while rotating the torso towards the target while doing a heli type movement and then fall javelin thrower style?

Am i right?

also do we know the details of the style Yurek used?

are you right. Hmm, not really. You don't 'bring the sling up to an optimal rotating speed.'
Not sure what you are watching, it's a single body movement with one step forward - based on baseball pitching larry was a pitcher in his youth.

When he hits it perfectly he falls over as even the momentum of his body toppling over goes into the throw.
It is a thing of beauty to behold Smiley
And really really hard to replicate - bear in mind he's using a 50inch sling and is only 68 inches tall.

Yureks throw style on the other hand is much more conventional. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #38 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 3:54pm

To buck the trend... I get maximum distance from slings of only about 32-35'' and I do pretty close in distance even with 24'' which feels ultra snappy and fast.

It just feels too woolly above that, I made a 50''ish sling which kinda works but I can't do record distance with it... only throw heavy rocks easily.

I think I just need to learn how to do it properly though- all record and very long shots that I am aware of have been done with long slings.

Any tips?

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #39 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 4:57am

i don't understand what made record holders reach those distances.
it doesn't seem to me that they had something extraordinary on them, only the result seems extraordinary .
they don't seem to use a secretive technique nor have a huge and more powerful body than the rest of us.

so what do you believe it is?

maybe some of us have achieved similar distances but don't know where the projectile landed Tongue

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #40 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 10:21am

Larry Bray uses a style that looks like a professional baseball pitcher more than any named slinging style.  It is very similar to a Fig 8, just minus one rotation.

Yurek is just a very experienced slinger.

What both have in common is a total lack of unnecessary movement that robs force from the throw.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #41 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 1:42pm

do we know the details of how they retrieved the thrown rock  or confirmed the landing spot?
(talking about larry bray record)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #42 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 2:48pm

nope, but there was an official from guinness world records in attendance.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #43 - Jun 10th, 2017 at 3:01pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jun 10th, 2017 at 2:48pm:
nope, but there was an official from guinness world records in attendance.

a funny question would be : "Do you trust him?"
Tongue

i can believe in sling's power more than in human sincerity

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Central U.S. Great Lakes Area
Reply #44 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 12:38am

If you're going for the world record you may want to consider using a tungsten glande, it is denser than lead, but probably will be harder to mold into the correct shape. You may consider using a specialized, especially heavy shotgun slug. In my experience I seem to be able to get the best results with a projectile weighing 45-60 grams. For distance I personally prefer a lightweight, long sling with a small pouch to minimize friction on the release.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man)