Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
World record lead gland throw! (Read 12175 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: World record lead gland throw!
Reply #15 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 6:16am

I Actually have some unusually 4mm heavy paracord. Made a cap paul sling with it (finally got some decent rivets and I've been mass producing them) Unfortunately I have no idea where I got the stuff from and I don't have enough left to make anything else noidea

Shame, as it's also white with pretty red bits in whistle

I'm thinking it must have been one of the pound shops - though I did buy some cord from a camping shop a few years back.
Went there recently to get some overtrousers and couldn't find any decent cord at all. It's an odd one.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 2:44pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 28th, 2014 at 12:25pm:
Dan, try nylon curtain cord.  It will be slightly stiff at first but will soften with use.

My first couple slings that I made (I still have the first one!) used the curtain cord and I totally agree. Its a great sling material if you can get it. I'm not normally a fan of non-braided cords, but that is something that I would use. I'd take it over 550 cord any day of the week. Unfortunately my only sling with that cord is only 23" long so I won't be breaking any distance records with it. Has anyone seen that cord for sale anywhere?

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #17 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 3:09pm

Larry's style is called Byzantine by many.
For me ,it was the style that i started with,self thaught. Very usefull for long slings.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 3:36pm

nope not byzantine at all.

That's just pulling it from behind with a single over head rotation and vertical release.
Simple, feels nice and effective.

Larrys style starts with you facing directly away from the 'target'. You then build a little momentum with the sling, start the throw at the same time you start to turn and step forward.

The fine tuning relies very heavily on how you use your body position and move your weight.

Trust me it's a helluva lot trickier than he makes it look.
But if you pull it off, things do go an awful long way.

The only time I've ever really nailed it was on chesil beach, where falling over wasn't a big deal. That stone went way out of sight.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #19 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 7:48pm

Larry's throw should get similar to the slow-motion film, as David Morningstar videos.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 9:45pm

Dan:  It's on 50 foot spools in Wally World in the boating section.  Blaze Orange, Pink and Puke Green.  And a Camo version for twice the price of the others.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #21 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 12:34am

To me, it looks like a Byzantine, and he is facing about 45 degrees away from the target. I used to do the same thing when going for distance.
Now i use a unique variation between helicopter and balearic.

For max distance I use a 3 plait braided hemp split pouch sling. 43" er as usual. Not not a beefy one, it's very skinny.  Puts 57gram glans out in the horizon in a eyelash.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #22 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:28am

I would go with kelvar fishing line.
more fun.
plus it is like 1-2mm diam, super light, and super strong.
although you can't just use a knot for the finger loop. it hurts too much.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 10:05am

If I didn't use the curtain cord, I'd use something dense that was tacky enough to braid so I could make it thick enough not to tangle. B-50 dacron would work alright, you'd have to use half the roll so your sling would cost somewhere around $3-5 which is obviously more than normal but still reasonble. 16 ply 48" cords that are reverse twisted together and waxed would be a very low resistance, low stretch sling.

But, I doubt there'd be a whole lot of difference from jlasauds thin hemp sling (the really thin stuff you use for bracelets would work best) in the long run though. Try out both and see which works best if you are really serious about the record.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #24 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 2:29pm

Quote:
I've made ultra thin slings too (~1mm). And i couldn't sling them nearly as well as the thin hemp sling (~ 2x4mm)  Maybe with a lot of slinging,to get used to it...Plus it's super tangly and not very good at keeping itself from twisting.

With ultra thin slings, i was getting almost half the distance, as with the thin ones...that doesn't mean that they can't perform better, just i couldn't feel it. And thinking about it, maybe they even resonate,vibrate through the air.
I lost interest in extremely thin slings.

B50 dacron may be good as a lead chucker,but absolutely sucks with abrasive stones. It has good tensile strength,which is not that a big thing for slings. Resisting abrasion for stone chuckers is the biggest.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #25 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:29pm

Dan wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 10:05am:
If I didn't use the curtain cord, I'd use something dense that was tacky enough to braid so I could make it thick enough not to tangle. B-50 dacron would work alright, you'd have to use half the roll so your sling would cost somewhere around $3-5 which is obviously more than normal but still reasonble. 16 ply 48" cords that are reverse twisted together and waxed would be a very low resistance, low stretch sling.

But, I doubt there'd be a whole lot of difference from jlasauds thin hemp sling (the really thin stuff you use for bracelets would work best) in the long run though. Try out both and see which works best if you are really serious about the record.

I honestly think 16 strands is way too thick. its like 600# breaking strength. I personally think that 2-5 strands of B50 would be more than sufficiant.
Keep in mind this sling only needs to last a couple throws.
Or... actually.... you guys aren't gonna like this... reverse taper.
a large wind profile added to the pouch makes a huge difference. added to the finger loop.... virtually no difference.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #26 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 5:57pm

My 51.2inch/1.3m long sling is 1mm cord,
and a large postage stamp-sized thin goat skin leather.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #27 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 6:18pm

large postage stamp(in the us) is less than an inch by an inch. Can you give me more of an estimate(in CM).
Methinks that a cradle-type sling would be signifigantly better for a world-record type throw.
less air resistance than a solid pouch.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #28 - May 1st, 2014 at 3:15am

I just got an idea on how to possibly measure the distance of a very long shot.
It would be quite easy,compared to other methods,given that a range finder is able to read distances on the surface of a lake.

So you would sling into a large lake,and someone (a spotter) on a elevated position near the lake  (a tree for ex.) would determine the range to the splash. The splash is followed by concentric circles, indicating the impact point for quite some time.

It may not be pin point accurate, and may not be possible at all (depends on the rangefinder)  but if you got a lake and a rangefinder,and a helping buddy, it might be the easiest and quickest way.
i don't have a rangefinder, Maybe, i could get someone to help... until than Google earth is my biggest help.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - May 1st, 2014 at 9:58am

jlasud wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 2:29pm:
Quote:
I've made ultra thin slings too (~1mm). And i couldn't sling them nearly as well as the thin hemp sling (~ 2x4mm)  Maybe with a lot of slinging,to get used to it...Plus it's super tangly and not very good at keeping itself from twisting.

With ultra thin slings, i was getting almost half the distance, as with the thin ones...that doesn't mean that they can't perform better, just i couldn't feel it. And thinking about it, maybe they even resonate,vibrate through the air.
I lost interest in extremely thin slings.

B50 dacron may be good as a lead chucker,but absolutely sucks with abrasive stones. It has good tensile strength,which is not that a big thing for slings. Resisting abrasion for stone chuckers is the biggest.

Also having used ultra-thin slings (a few different kinds of fishing line), I thoroughly loath them.  Smiley

Patience is not my strong suit, and when I go slinging I expect to get some good sling time in. I think I spent more time untangling the cords than actually slinging. Plus the throws really weren't any better than my normal sling.

You wouldn't take your Lamborghini on dirt back roads right? Well, you also probably shouldn't throw abrasive stones with your world-class distance sling either. Things are going to be much better suited to a task that they are specifically made for. We aren't making a Toyota Camry sling, we are making a Ferrari. If the user really felt so inclined, he could add a serving string around the base of the pouch and up the cords a couple inches. That should solve most of the abrasion issues.

SS, As I said, I've used fishing line slings and I didn't really enjoy it, nor did I receive any benefit from the lack of air resistance. I'd also be okay with 10-12 strands of B-50 or a similar material. But I've found that weight plays a big part in sling performance for me and I'd give up a little bit of aerodynamics to get that extra weight. Also, 600 lb. breaking strength isn't unusual for slings. In fact, I'd say that the majority of slings made in the past 10 years have a breaking strength of around 550 lbs.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris)