Newbie to Slinging. (Read 2175 times)
cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Newbie to Slinging.
Mar 2nd, 2014 at 7:23pm

Hello everybody!
I'm from Austin, TX and I started slinging occasionally about a year ago, when I had to find out how to make a sling for my little 8" tall trebuchet.
I found this site, and build a simple sling with a woven pouch to practice for making one for my trebuchet.
I have not really done much slinging since then, but in the past 2 months or so, I've done a fair amount of slinging, and made a new sling.
Here are my two slings. The top one is the one I made ages ago, and is nylon rope with a woven sisal pouch. The bottom one is my favorite, a braided hemp sling with a woven pouch.
(for some reason, it is not letting me insert an image with an [img] tag (or maybe I can't see it...))
The length of the bottom sling is the same as the length from my elbow to the base of my middle finger. The top sling is long enough to hang 3" above the ground when it is held at my side.
I use the apache method to sling. I've gotten accurate enough with my shorter one to hit a target 30 degrees in angular diameter. This means that at 10 yards, I can hit a target with a diameter of about 5 yards. When I started, about 60% of my shots went backwards. Now, less than 5% do.

Anyway, my accuracy has started improving much more slowly than it used to. Is this normal? I've just been using random stones that fit the pouch properly as ammo. Will I be able to improve my accuracy without consistant ammo, or will I need to make some?

I've been a lurker here for about a year, so I just wanted to introduce myself!
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2014 at 1:13pm by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Newbie to Slinging.
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 8:47am

Steven says: 'Hey from N of Breaker Lane .. You N/S/E/W ..'
We could possibly meet at a park and toss some tennis balls.

I'm booked till well after AISD spring break.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 9:29am

Hello from Alabama.  Welcome to the site.  You and Hurling Thom need to compare notes. 

I am guessing your favorite sling is a little on the short side for good accuracy.  For me, the shortest sling that I am accurate with is around 24 inches.  The only thing to do is make another sling that is longer and try it.  And then one slightly longer than that....until you get so long it's a pain to use. Grin

IP Logged

cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 7:54pm

I'll try to make some longer slings. I'll probably practice with the sisal bailing twine that I have TONS of.

@Stephen: I'm southwest of Breaker, between Mopac and 360 just off Bee Caves. My bigger sling's pouch is just a bit too small for tennis balls, but in the ones I'll try to make soon, I'll attempt to make a bigger pouch... The smaller one is perfect for a golf ball sized projectile.

My biggest problem has been weaving a larger pouch than the ones I have currently.
Anyway, I'll mostly try to improve my accuracy. I'll try to make some ammo along with the new slings, which should give me better accuracy than the random stones I pick up...
Though, I do REALLY like the awesome buzz that the flat, round stones produce. If only they would not curve so far off target...

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 10:52pm

cpman wrote on Mar 3rd, 2014 at 7:54pm:
...I'll try to make some ammo along with the new slings, which should give me better accuracy than the random stones I pick up...
Though, I do REALLY like the awesome buzz that the flat, round stones produce. If only they would not curve so far off target...
Ya gotta love the buzz.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 8:49am

Welcome CPMan!

cpman wrote on Mar 2nd, 2014 at 7:23pm:
Will I be able to improve my accuracy without consistent ammo, or will I need to make some?

You can still grab random stones from the ground and improve on accuracy. Sometimes you need to imagine how the stone will react when you pick it up. Some rocks will drop quickly, some will swing and some will be dead on.

It helps if you pick up three or four similar rocks and sling them in succession - your accuracy will be better as you get used to how the shape and weight of the stones react.

IP Logged

cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 10:37pm

Thank you.
I'll still try to make some ammo to help improve....

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 1:14pm

fixed the picture.
you had url tags on it not img tags Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)